Posted: 16 years ago

Designer dreams

< content=07/12/2007 name=date>
Not Madhuri, but Tabu will star in designer Vikram Phadnis's directorial debut
Back to Section Stories Posted On Thursday, July 12, 2007
Mail this Article Print this Article Search
View Comments Rate this Article Comments

Ashwini Deshmukh

It was Vikram Phadnis's long-cherished ambition to direct Madhuri Dixit in his film, but now the lead role in his directorial debut has gone to Tabu. A source close to Vikram says, "Vikram was keen on having Madhuri as the lead and was in talks with her. It all looked great until Madhuri's manager declared that he would like to produce the film. Vikram wasn't too happy about the idea and somehow the deal fizzled out."

Madhuri's denial did not deter the designer's determination to direct a film. Vikram says, "I have been a huge fan of Madhuri for many years and when it came to my film, she was obviously the first option. Although things didn't work out between us, I had to continue. My film is highly emotional in nature. Contrary to what might be believed of a designer's film, it is minus the glamour bit but visually beautiful."

Vikram has an equally great equation with Tabu. He says, "I have known Tabu for a long time now and we are comfortable with each other. She is like my midnight friend. I also designed her costumes for Cheeni Kum. Tabu was the one who always told me to get into film-making, 'You must direct a film,' she always told me. Our association has been so strong and she understood my script and requirements very well. She suits the script hand in glove and agreed to do the film within ten seconds of the narration."

Vikram believes he has made the right choice. He says, "I have been a huge fan of Madhuri and I haven't come across a single person who is not a Madhuri fan but I also haven't come across anybody who says, 'Tabu achhi nahin lagti.' So I've got the best!" 

Vikram Phadnis
•  I have known Tabu for a long time now and we are comfortable with each other. She is like my midnight friend. I also designed her costumes for Cheeni Kum. Tabu was the one who always told me to get into film making – Vikram Phadnis