Authors ,their characters and You

IdeaQueen thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

Esteemed Friends!

As part of our study or hobbies we might have studied several books!

We might have studied the books of different variety of persons!

We get influenced by those thoughts when we get impressed by the thoughts expressed in that book!

We may not implement the thoughts of those people in ourlives becoz we are different from the author and we have some more other thoughts!

May I take the privilage of asking esteemed friends of DM the following questions:

What type of books do you read generally(fiction/non fiction)? Which is the wonderful book you have read till date?(the book which you really feel"yeah! this is a gem,I should suggest this to my friends) Are influenced by any author and her/his idealogies? Did it ever happen that u get influenced by a character in a book?? Do you map the any character of the book to you (unknowingly) ? Is there any dream character in one of your fav books you like to see in reality or as your partner? Do books add confusuion or help you in learning things?
  1. Your top 5 fav books and 5 fav authors?

Wishes,

Mythili

Edited by mythili_Kiran - 16 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
wow mithiliji.....nice Q's reply soon 😊
swordfishh thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3

What type of books do you read generally(fiction/non fiction)?
Both...

Which is the wonderful book you have read till date?(the book which you really feel"yeah! this is a gem,I should suggest this to my friends)
Well... Many... But this book on feminism... By Simone de Beauvoir called the Second Sex was a really good one...

Are influenced by any author and her/his idealogies?
Did it ever happen that u get influenced by a character in a book??
I was really influenced by Eric Von Daniken's Chariot of the Gods... Its non fiction... But his ideas really got me thinking...
I did get influenced by Karn/Karna's chracter in the Mahabharata

Do you map the any character of the book to you (unknowingly) ?
Rarely... But I do see a lot of myself in author Taslima Nasreen's views...

Is there any dream character in one of your fav books you like to see in reality or as your partner?
Fitzwilliam Darcy of Pride and Prejudice and/or Rhett Butler of Gone with the Wind

Do books add confusuion or help you in learning things?
Your top 5 fav books and 5 fav authors?
Difficult one...
But I like PG Wodehouse, Jane Austen, Eric Von Daniken, JK Rowling, Taslima Nasreen and Robin Cook

I like the books in the Harry Potter series... though I prefer the first three to the last three released till now...

I like Jeeves n Blandings of Wodehouse

I like Robin Cook's Toxin

I like Taslima Nasreen's Lajja

Victor Dragunsky's the adventures of Dennis... 😆

actually many more... 

Edited by swordfishh - 16 years ago
-Believe- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

What type of books do you read generally(fiction/non fiction)? Both fiction and non fiction😊

Which is the wonderful book you have read till date?(the book which you really feel"yeah! this is a gem,I should suggest this to my friends)

hmm i like lot of good books....recently i read Vikram Seth 's 'A suitable boy', and 'An equal music'..'A suitable boy' is story of lata and her mom's quest to find a suitable groom for her. The story is set in 1950's and the author has done a good job in bringing the cultural essence of that period in the book. It is a an interesting read. However, I was kind of dissapointed by Lata's final choice of groom 😊

BTW, some one happened to mention that Lata's character is based on was Vikram Seth's mother. I dont know how true that is. In fact, with almost every book of Seth, I get to hear that it is based on his real life!

'An equal music' is about a musician, and his re-discovery of his old love. However, the book has lot about music, Mozart, Bach and various other details related to music instruments and great composers. I couldnt relate very well to those topics and therefore wasnt able to enjoy the book as much. However, people who listen to that kind of music have loved the book.

One of malayalam writer Padmasree M.T.Vasudevannair gr8 style of writing..His novels are suprb...Randamoozam win jnapith,highest literary honour in India.

Ya M.t's characterisation of Bheema in his work 'Randamoozham.' ,Bheema's feelings as a father,brother,son and as a husbend,....its amzingly portraited.

I dont know😳

Is there any dream character in one of your fav books you like to see in reality or as your partner?

Noooo, want a new charcter😉

Ya a lot..Karl marx books, chinees writer Mavo seth's book, charli chaplin,nepolian,hitlor biography's lot of books give us diff learning.but I keep my own identity.

Arundhati roy's 'God of small things'  http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/anglophone/roy.html

R.K.Narayanan's 'The talkative man'

Vikram Seth 's  'An equal music'

etc etc...

IdeaQueen thumbnail

Originally posted by: swordfishh

What type of books do you read generally(fiction/non fiction)?
Both...

Well... Many... But this book on feminism... By Simone de Beauvoir called the Second Sex was a really good one...

I was really influenced by Eric Von Daniken's Chariot of the Gods... Its non fiction... But his ideas really got me thinking...
I did get influenced by Karn/Karna's chracter in the Mahabharata

Rarely... But I do see a lot of myself in author Taslima Nasreen's views...

Fitzwilliam Darcy of Pride and Prejudice and/or Rhett Butler of Gone with the Wind

Difficult one...
But I like PG Wodehouse, Jane Austen, Eric Von Daniken, JK Rowling, Taslima Nasreen and Robin Cook

I like the books in the Harry Potter series... though I prefer the first three to the last three released till now...

I like Jeeves n Blandings of Wodehouse

I like Robin Cook's Toxin

I like Taslima Nasreen's Lajja

Victor Dragunsky's the adventures of Dennis... 😆

actually many more... 

Thankyou Rhea for answering the questions with passion! Nice selection of books and interesting views!👏

Cheers,

Myth

IdeaQueen thumbnail

Originally posted by: Believe

What type of books do you read generally(fiction/non fiction)? Both fiction and non fiction😊

hmm i like lot of good books....recently i read Vikram Seth 's 'A suitable boy', and 'An equal music'..'A suitable boy' is story of lata and her mom's quest to find a suitable groom for her. The story is set in 1950's and the author has done a good job in bringing the cultural essence of that period in the book. It is a an interesting read. However, I was kind of dissapointed by Lata's final choice of groom 😊

BTW, some one happened to mention that Lata's character is based on was Vikram Seth's mother. I dont know how true that is. In fact, with almost every book of Seth, I get to hear that it is based on his real life!

'An equal music' is about a musician, and his re-discovery of his old love. However, the book has lot about music, Mozart, Bach and various other details related to music instruments and great composers. I couldnt relate very well to those topics and therefore wasnt able to enjoy the book as much. However, people who listen to that kind of music have loved the book.

One of malayalam writer Padmasree M.T.Vasudevannair gr8 style of writing..His novels are suprb...Randamoozam win jnapith,highest literary honour in India.

Ya M.t's characterisation of Bheema in his work 'Randamoozham.' ,Bheema's feelings as a father,brother,son and as a husbend,....its amzingly portraited.

I dont know😳

Noooo, want a new charcter😉

Ya a lot..Karl marx books, chinees writer Mavo seth's book, charli chaplin,nepolian,hitlor biography's lot of books give us diff learning.but I keep my own identity.

Arundhati roy's 'God of small things'  http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/anglophone/roy.html

R.K.Narayanan's 'The talkative man'

Vikram Seth 's  'An equal music'

etc etc...

Thankyou Vinu Nayar ji! for answering these questions and I learnt somany new things from ur post!

Wishes,

Mythili kiran

Morgoth thumbnail

Originally posted by: mythili_Kiran

Esteemed Friends!

As part of our study or hobbies we might have studied several books!

We might have studied the books of different variety of persons!

We get influenced by those thoughts when we get impressed by the thoughts expressed in that book!

We may not implement the thoughts of those people in ourlives becoz we are different from the author and we have some more other thoughts!

May I take the privilage of asking esteemed friends of DM the following questions:

1. What type of books do you read generally(fiction/non fiction)?

Fiction

1. Which is the wonderful book you have read till date?(the book which you really feel"yeah! this is a gem,I should suggest this to my friends)

Keeps changing. The Kite Runner is the latest book that I recommended to a friend.

1. Are influenced by any author and her/his idealogies?

See, I mostly read fiction, so one cannot say if the characters truly represent the author's idealogies unless the fic is semi-biographic.

I am rarely influenced by an author's personal idealogies.

1. Did it ever happen that u get influenced by a character in a book??

Yes, I did get influenced by a character (not going to mention which one). But, I'm thankful to the author as this character in a small way inspired me to start writing regularly.

1. Do you map the any character of the book to you (unknowingly) ?

Depends on the character itself and how much I identify with him or her.  

1. Is there any dream character in one of your fav books you like to see in reality or as your partner?

No

1. Do books add confusuion or help you in learning things?

A good book can do both, but those are very rare.

1. Your top 5 fav books and 5 fav authors?

These keep changing, but my current list includes:

Books:

Harry Potter, Tales from Firozsha Baag, The Kite Runner, Bombay Time, The God of Small Things

Authors:

JK Rowling, Rohinton Mistry, Khaled Hosseini, Thrity Umrigar, Arundhati Roy

Wishes,

Mythili

IdeaQueen thumbnail

Originally posted by: mythili_Kiran

What type of books do you read generally(fiction/non fiction)? Both and most of the times Non fiction! Which is the wonderful book you have read till date?(the book which you really feel"yeah! this is a gem,I should suggest this to my friends) Somany! Fountain head,My experiments with truth,Indira by katherine frank,Straight from the gut by  Jack welsh ,Complete works of Swami Vivekananda and Autobiography of an Yogi,Surely u r joking feynman!
  1. Are u influenced by any author and her/his idealogies?

Yes! The thing is I get influenced a lot by all the authors I read.I got influenced by Ayn Rand's writings , Swami Vivekananda and Jiddu krishna Murthy a lot!!!!! These people help me in understanding I, ME,MYSELF!!!

4. Did it ever happen that u get influenced by a character in a book??

Several times it happened! I like the character of Howard Roark in fountainhead! He is a MAN!

5.Do you map the any character of the book to you (unknowingly) ?

I map myselves to Dominique Francon in Fountainhead(not that she is the leading lady in that novel but I'm very much like her somany times!!

6.Is there any dream character in one of your fav books you like to see in reality or as your partner?

Howard Roark!!!!

7.Do books add confusuion or help you in learning things?

I try to move towards non idol worship, beliefs about the destiny by reading the books which expalin the beauty of the rituals and worshipping methods!

8.Your top 5 fav books and 5 fav authors?

My favourite books are listed in the goodbooks link post!

Wishes,

Mythili

Morgoth thumbnail

Originally posted by: Believe

It would not be a complete surprise if this were true. Authors many times use real incidents to weave stories. They are not biographies, but you can almost always find something in a novel that exists in the author's real life.

IdeaQueen thumbnail