Ismail Darbar: Man of straight talk...

anonmember thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

'I am a man of straight talk...

says music director Ismail Durbar who doesn't mind the tag of being called 'moody'

PRERNA SHAH

Music director Ismail Darbar, is known for many things other than his music. Recently, he's been in the news for his fiery temper, courtesy a tantrum he had reportedly thrown on a television show. "No, I am a man of straight talk. I have no put-ons. I know I am being honest and the greatest indication of it came when my mother called me up to say that I sounded the same on TV, just the way I do at home!" says Darbar. Darbar also asserts that he remains at the closest terms with his mentor Sanjay Leela Bhansali, and that there is no rift between them. "He will always be a person that I will be grateful to. Four generations of my family suffered in anonymity. I would have too, if Bhansali had not given me a chance to prove my mettle as a music director in Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam."
    He adds, "Those who have seen adversity can never be ungrateful. Do you know the kind of life I lived before I became Ismail Darbar? If I can make it, anybody can. I didn't study. I struggled on a daily basis. What I have achieved today is beyond my wildest dreams."
    And it is for the very same reason that he wants to get back to playing the violin. "I have trained under the tutelage of Pandit Ram Prasad Sharma and Shri Ganesh. I played the instrument for prominent music directors because I had to earn my meal. When I turned an independent music director, I had other priorities. But I want to get back to my violin; after all, it's been close to my heart for 22 years…" he says. What about the claims of Darbar charging a bomb for music compositions? "Arre baba, I don't make songs that are here for a season. It's easy to make a popular, peppy tune; it can be done in a day. My yearning is for a music that is close to our roots, that aims for immortality." And in the very next second, Darbar shows his much-talked about sense of humour. "But you see, I have a wife and a kid at home who tell me — 'Go, get the bread. Don't lust after immortal music.' Sometimes, they tease me — you don't know how to make peppy kind of music. So you know one can never tell. I can abandon my kind of music for the other kind."

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

LeadOxide thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Ismail Darbar is very straightforward. I like his this quality.
ajooni thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
IDs 'tera jaadoo chal gaya' was contemporary and i think a very good album.underrated i would say..

ID has personality and charisma..that is why his face picture is in the middle(and largest) on the chaalenge 2007 banner-he is given top billing..
joypaul thumbnail
good article - and i truly believe that he is very straight forward. I find him very witty, honest, sometimes blunt but never artifical or rude.