*4rom heaven* thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 17 years ago
On Role: Soha Ali Khan

From Rang De Basanti she has come a long way, Soha talks of this and fer forth coming movie: Khoya Khoya Chand. Know more from the lady herself!

Soha Ali Khan's next release is Sudhir Mishra's Khoya Khoya Chand. She is awaiting the audience response to it before signing any new films. Here, she talks about her role in the film and much more.

You have not been doing many films. Any specific reason?
I love acting but I have no long term vision. I am not in the rat race and it doesn't make any difference to me now. It's important to do right things but also not to do the wrong things. I am still grounded but I haven't taken myself seriously. The idea is to have fun and do your best. Life is very short so do what you want to do now.

How important was Rang De Basanti for your career?
It was a turning point. It was an important film to be associated with since it created an awakening and its motive was honourable. It was truly an ensemble cast film and I enjoyed every bit of working in it.

How much do you feel you have grown as an actor since your debut?
I think I am yet to prove myself for people to give me worth. I am trying to find my niche in this industry. I've become more comfortable with the camera. Emotions are always there but displaying it is an art. I am learning it and am less inhibited now. After Khoya Khoya Chand releases, I hope it will generate roles that I want to do.

Your character in KKC is supposed to be based on yesteryear star Waheeda Rehman
Khoya Khoya Chand is not based on any particular actress. It is based on that period. But yes it has influences of Waheeda Rehman, Madhubala and Meena Kumari.

What's your role in Khoya Khoya Chand all about?
The film basically is a love story between a writer (Shiney Ahuja) and an actress. I play the character of Nikhat, an actress from the 1950's. This role has given me ample scope to display a lot of skills. I get to enact the parts of a courtesan, a fearless Nadia full of action, do classical dances, horse ridding and sword fighting. I was surprised and happy that Sudhir Mishra (Hazaaron Khwaaishen Aisi) had the confidence and trust in me while approaching me for this role.

How close are you to Nikhat's character?
We are totally different personas. I come from a protected family while she is not. She's a working person, a dancer from a Muslim background. Her father has disappeared during her childhood and her upbringing and experience is far more different. There are a lot of emotions and intensity. There's no father figure to protect her. She has a step father. I loved her as a person and wanted to get to know her.

How much research have you done for the role?
Apart from listening to old music and watching films and getting the right look, not much. My styling was done by Niharika and I learnt Kathak and other skills from my teacher Jyoti Dev. I wanted to do what Nikhat does. So I heard a lot of songs from Sahib, Biwi Aur Gulam, A.R. Rehman's songs, songs from Guide, Vyjayanthimala songs, Waheeda Rehman's songs, a whole lot of them. The song lyrics used to be so good then. We do have good music now but the lyrics are different. I also watched Smita Patil's Bhoomika, which was a film within film based on a film star, with a lot of attention.

What difficulties did you face while shooting for the role?
I am not trained in classical dance, so learning Kathak was a little difficult. The only horse riding I had done was when I was a child, that too on a pony. So when I did it all over again, it was a little hard but fun.

Shiney Ahuja has been very particular about his look, costumes and jewellery for the film. How much interest did you take into the look of your character?
My look was very important as I was playing an actress in the film but I trusted Niharika completely, as she was doing the styling. In real life, I don't go much into details and neither do I wear great jewellery. I am a very casual person. I know what looks good on me and what doesn't. So I told her what I don't like and what colours and style I prefer. I was particular about my hair and make up which was very minimal. There are scenes where I have absolutely no make up and there are scenes where I have to do a lot of make up as Nikhat is an actress. I also took tips from my mother.

How did you get along with Shiney?
He is basically a professional. He is focused and has great sense of humour and loves Santa-Banta jokes. We slowly built a comfort level. I am a diplomatic person. I make an effort with everybody and also am a friendly person. He is very serious when he is working. He has his own method which is unusual and very different.

What are views about exposing on screen?
Exposure is a big word. But yes, I am not ready for it. I feel one should not be exploited in the name of exposure. Emotionally it is okay. I should have some reason for exposing. I have to be comfortable with the camera. I've done progressive roles in Khoya Khoya Chand and Antarmahal. Physical exposure is about what you are wearing. The other is how you are going to portray the role. You can do a lot with emotions and camera.

Does casting couch exist in the industry?
Yes it does. It is something very shocking unfortunately. But I have never been approached with such proposals.

What are your upcoming projects?
I am doing two more films with Sudhir, one of which is a short film. Then, there is a UTV film directed by Nishikant Kamath, who made the award winning Marathi film, Dombivili Fast. It's not a love story but I can't reveal much about it. I have not signed any other films as I am waiting for the audience to react to KKC, since it is my first heroine-oriented film.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sumiyyakhan thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
ohh nice..thanxs shes a pretty and innocent girl(to me looks innocent 😉 ) lolzz... 😛