Posted: 16 years ago

😊Edited by cute vanshika - 16 years ago
-Rimli- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

here is an article on love story.got from tellychakkar

"Bigger channels don't provide me sukh"
Anurag Basu

Anurag Basu - does this name ring a bell? No no don't confuse it with Kassauti's Bong beta played by Cezzane. We are discussing the once-upon-a-time TV director (Tara, Koshish Ek Aasha, etc.), and now a renowned film director (Murder, Gangster, Metro…) 'Anurag Basu'.

Life has come full circle for this accomplished man who is he all set make a splash once again on the TV circuit with SAB's Love Story.

Red is what aptly describes Anurag's new show - An intriguing premix of passion, violence, hardcore reality with an added dose of fun and youth. The story weaves a narrative with various sub plots; two rival gangs, notorious families, dirty politics, shady underworld and a conscientious cop. Couple this with a juvenile love story shot at varied locales across the country. We think the director is sure to re-define television viewing.

On the verge of the show's roll out in a few days, Seema Pherwani meets up with Basu on the sets to find out aakhir kya hain yeh Love Story. Excerpts:

"We'll try to be distinctive with our show" - Anurag Basu
So you are back on the small screen. How passionate are you about this project?
SAB TV assured me that they would let me do 'something different'; that's when I gave my consent to make a passionate love story for them. But I don't know how far the small screen will allow me with this fervour. Lekin ab hum jangh mein kud pade hain (But now we've are ready to fight the battle). So we'll try to be distinctive with our show.

But how different can one really get with a love story on the TV; after all it's all about a girl meets boy?
I agree. Even I am applying the same basic concept but with a rather realistic touch to it. My characters have been etched out differently. The older couple played by Harsh Chayya and Rupa Ganguly are separated and Akash, their only son can't handle this. The story explores this father-son relationship. The story oscillates between various sub-plots and the screenplay between the past and present mode. The fun factor will be sufficed by a fresh, young star cast.

Like other shows, you too have roped in new talent.
What to do? On television, actors don't become as popular compared to their characters. When people get saturated with a character they don't want to see him again. Very few people like Harsh Chayya have been zeroed in for Love Story as they are selective about their work and are worth their craft.

What were the criteria for channel selection? Why SAB TV and not a bigger name?
See a bigger channel does guarantee me TRPs from day one, but they don't promise me sukh (happiness) or creative satisfaction. In today's market, it doesn't matter what genre you're tackling. If you handle any story sincerely and honestly; it will hit bull's eye. Today you see soaps which are just filling in scenes. Tell me, if you remove a shot from a show it doesn't make a difference to the story, so what is it's worth? At that rate even if one misses their favourite soap for three weeks, he hasn't missed much (smirks).

Harsh Chhaya and Rupa Ganguly - Actors of Basu's Love Story
Point noted. As Love Story is primarily a college drama, do we expect a glossy packaging for it?
Nowadays every college turns out to be a Karan Johar college. Though our look is rich, stylish and contemporary, we are also shooting at various locations in Delhi, Haryana and Mumbai.

You have been successful with your movies. What factors as per your set this medium apart from television?
Not much, except in films once a bullet is fired it can't be retrieved. Also the stakes are high. But for TV shows one can re-shoot, alter the story or even change the actors for that matter. But all in all it's pretty complex, we can't take the storyline for granted and keep planning for the future. What I am shooting now will actually go on air in the sixth month.

What changes has the TV industry undergone between your first innings till now?
Oh nothing much has changed. The same stuff is happening even now since the time I left television behind. Producers are only concerned about stretching their story and this stems from their insecurity, 'what next if my show ends?'

here's d original link:-
http://us.tellychakkar.com/y2k7/apr/20apr/interview_basu.php

Edited by rimli_remix rox - 16 years ago
Tasha1985 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

this is an article about how love story was worked from being a movie to being a tv show (relevant parts in blue)

'Realistic portrayal of big city existence'

Shivali Tripathi talks to Anuraag Basu about his return into the world of television with 'Love Story', and his latest film 'Life in a Metro'.

He was just eighteen when he directed Tara, a much talked about and successful TV serial of Zee TV. Anuraag Basu became an important name of Indian Television after that. However, he bid adieu to TV and got into feature film making. He started with Saya and went on to direct Murder, Tum Sa Nahin Dekha, and Gangster.

His next film Life In A Metro is ready for release. The other big news is that in spite of his success as a filmmaker, he is getting back to directing a TV serial titled Love Story that went on air very recently on SAB TV.

What made you return to TV?
< =text/> < src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js " =text/>  

Love Story was conceived and written as a film. We realised that a subject as vast as this could not be compressed into a film. So, we decided to develop it as a TV soap opera. And after a gap of four years, I am back to TV.

Did you get away from TV four years ago as a deliberate career decision?

Yes. TV direction had become a kind of routine for me. I was not able to get out of the rut. I turned to filmmaking to do something refreshing.

You will agree that my films were far apart from the kind of work I had done for TV. I am back to TV because I have something interesting to give. Love Story is not the usual romantic stuff. It has elements of mystery as well as crime. It is great story telling. It celebrates the idea of love.

It's the story of youth with two romantic tracks. Akash and Shruti and Rohit and Ritu are the two romantic pairs in the story. It happens in the present. It goes into flashbacks as well.

There is a lot of campus drama in it. It also has older characters as guardians to make it a family soap. It is full of fun, rich in looks, stylish, and glossy. The serial has been shot in actual locations of Delhi. It is realistic.

You will not find Karan Johar kind of a college in the film. The college scenes have been shot in Delhi University's Hindu college. People will be able to see the typical north Indian culture and values in the serial.

We are also highlighting the problems faced by our youth, problems like ragging, dirty SMSs, drugs, etc.

What do you have to say about Life In A Metro?

It is a realistic depiction of what is happening in concrete jungles called metros. The film is about modern times. It has all the noise and confusion that characterise life in a big city. It is about the celebration of life within the topsy-turvy mayhem and disorder of modern, urban existence.

Shilpa Shetty's character is the backbone of our story, with adept and strong support coming from a variety of great characters.

The film highlights the loss of human innocence in big city environment and how people struggle to stay sane, sensible, and sensitive amidst a seemingly insane, insensible, and insensitive fast paced world around them. Our approach to the subject is fresh and unique.

There is some talk about the film having an episodic format like TV serials.

It is not so. There are multiple tracks that run parallel to each other in the film. These tracks are inter-connected and all the characters are inter-related in some way or the other.

It is being said that you have increased the role of Shilpa after her success in Big Brother to cash upon her new found fame and popularity.

We are happy that Big Brother's success has made Shilpa an international celebrity. It will certainly help the commercial prospects of the film worldwide. We are releasing 50 prints of the film overseas instead of 25 as planned earlier.

However, I don't subscribe to the idea that a film's script should be altered according to the star value and popularity graph of its actors.

Shilpa's role was always a pivotal one and there was no room for last minute changes in it. It would have destroyed the story. Nothing has been changed as an afterthought. We have made the film as per the original script.

Do you believe that fast paced growth is not good?

There are always two sides of a coin. India is shining. Her GDP is on the rise. We have high-rise buildings, malls, and multiplexes all over. We have an ever-soaring Sensex. We have the latest models of cars and gadgets. It has also given rise to a sense of insecurity and alienation.

We have become insensitive and unemotional. We want to win the race at any cost. Words like love and sacrifice are for those who are considered losers.

This film is the story of multiplicity of emotions, colours, and sensibilities. It is realistic and impacting. It has romance, power play, sex, betrayal, and clash of ambitions. It portrays the stresses and strains of urban living along with its joys and sorrows. It also is a story of love and sacrifice.

original link:

http://www.deccanherald.com/deccanherald/may62007/enter18541 0200755.asp

Edited by NaVy1985 - 16 years ago
Tasha1985 thumbnail

this is an article about anurag basu's opinion on the indian television industry and how love story is different (relevant parts about love story are in green)

TV stars are like prostitutes: Anurag Basu

After a 4year long hiatus, well know director Anurag Basu (of Tara and Koshish- Ek Asha fame) is back on the sets with SAB TV's, Love Story.

Why did you stop directing TV serals after 'Koshish'?
As a creative person, I cannot do the same stuff over and over again. Today, on television people just repackage the old stories and present them to the viewers. I am sorry, but I really cannot not be a part of this unhappy situation.

So is 'Love Story' genuinely different?
See, it's almost impossible to tell a brand new story that's never been done before, but what we can do is, present the story differently. Our story for this serial is based on the campus-romance of the protagonists (played by Mishal Raheja and Payal Sarkar), which falls victim to political and social machinations.

We even explore how the separation of the parents (Harsh Chaya and Rupa Ganguly) affects their child (Akash) over the years. Also, we will be looking the goon and gun culture prevalent in today's colleges. I will not be showing fictious colleges, where everything is sweet and hunky dory.

Why do you think the Content-quality is dropping these days?
What do you expect when serials are shot a few days before they are supposed to go on air? Ideally a serial maker should be given six months time during which work on a good story and create a sufficient bank. But here we start with just with 10 episodes canned, and so the shortage continues, till the very end, affecting the over all quality.

What do you to say about today's TV stars?
They are just like prostitutes! All they are interested is how much they can make per day. Hence they run from shoot to shoot, without really bothering about the quality of their work. It's because of this very behavior, that TV stars have a short span of life. They only shine until their serial is on, or until they are replaced.

How do you think one can replicate the success of the Saas-Bahu sagas?
Simple, find a few old Hindi-film stories and incorporate them in your serial. This is what Ekta has been doing successfully over the years. Even my Balaji hit, 'Koshish', was based on Jeentendra's 'Jyoti'.

Why do you think most film folk shun TV? And what made you decide otherwise?
You see, I will never degrade a fast-growing medium. But the main problem, at least in technical department, is that nobody knows whose the director. And all creative people hanker for recognition; which is why many of my friend's have quit television for the big screen.

Most of the shows even have a certain 'creative director'?
God! These guys interfere in every aspect of serial making. And the worst part is that they have no creative bone in their body.

Do you think the prevailing trends in television will change ?
Yes it will – it has always been a cycle of sorts. Till some years ago, mythological serials ruled the roost and now we have the family dramas. Possibly, next the genre of reality television will dominate.

What type of reality show will run?
Talent show's like 'Indian Idol' and 'Saregama', which show the rag to riches story have a greater chance at success.

What about 'Big Boss'?
'Big Boss' did not do too well. It could be either because the chosen celebrities were not up to the mark. Or, maybe because since the real-stuff was not aired due to our cultural sensibility and that is what makes such reality shows click. - Anil Merani

original link:

http://123india.santabanta.com/cinema.asp?pid=14457

Tasha1985 thumbnail

this is an article about rupa ganguly who plays ritu, akash's mother in love story about why she took up love story and her views on divorces (relevant information is in pink)

Draupadi's Back!

Rupa Ganguly rose to fame as Draupadi from the television series Mahabharat. After this, the talented actress went off to Calcutta in search of meaty roles. Now after a long sabbatical, she will be seen in Anurag Basu's Love Story on Sab TV.

In a candid chat with tellychakkar.com, Rupa tells us all about her second innings on the small screen.

You rose to fame with B R Chopra's Mahabharat. Why did you leave television after that?
I was greedy and hungry for good work so I left tellywood . I was doing Bengali feature films with reputed filmmakers like Rituparno Ghosh and Gautam Ghosh. Though these films haven't really been seen by people here, but there's a section of society who has appreciated these films.

What were the other reasons?
I am a very simple girl from a middle class background. Thodi si acting kar li (just did a bit of acting) and that was a big achievement for me. I could never wear skimpy clothes and do films here in Mumbai. This was the trend those days.There were no heroine oriented films .I did one film but somehow it didn't click though it did good business. Also, I would run away to Calcutta every second day. I also I wanted to get married at the right age and have children. Now, I am happily married and have a ten year old son Aakash.

Why have you taken up Love Story now?
Well Anurag Basu also happens to be a Bengali and he knows the kind of work I do. So when he offered me this role, he told me I would be playing mother to Aakash in the serial. I jumped at the offer since I could identify so much with this character.

Tell us a bit about the role?
I play Ritu who's married to a very honest and upright policeman. Somehow, both cannot get along and decide to separate. The story reflects on how the unhappy marriage and separation affects their son Aakash, Later on, as he grows up, one see a drastic change in his behavioural pattern. Ritu gets into another relationship with a friend but then she doesn't want to get too involved in it because of her son. Love Story is about relationships and the way Anurag has tackled it, the script runs like a film.All the episodes are connected and weaved in an interesting way.

You have also signed on Kasturi?
In Kasturi I play one of the bahus who's a great pillar of strength for lead protagonist.

What are your views on marriage and divorce?
I suppose in today's world, one is too busy with duniya dari, maintaining one's own lifestyle and building a career. Sometimes it becomes very difficult for two people to live together In the olden day, noone had any option but today we have options. Now for the last 18 years, I am earning my own money and leading my own life. I think seperation and divorce are never a solution. But if the fights are getting too ugly for a couple then its better to part ways. There are no perfect people in this world. If two people are alike, there are problems and if they think differently even then there are problems.

These two serials in hand would take away most of your time?
Both the serials put together take away more than twenty days of shooting in a month. Now my son has grown up and he can take care of himself. I am very happy to be here.

original link:

http://www.tellychakkar.com/y2k7/apr/27apr/interview_rupa.ph p

anchal10 thumbnail
On Mishal Raheja who plays Akash
Credit: http://cities.expressindia.com/fullstory.php?newsid=160019

Destiny's child
Mishal Raheja
LIFE is tough, but Mishal Raheja is a satisfied guy. Actually, he's been more than satisfied the day he quit his job and decided to give his dream a shot. ''This is where relate to the Kush's character. He too has to go through this tussle with his parents to be a film-maker. I too, after doing my Bachelors in Business from the States and working for a while, had to confront them and put my foot down. It was smooth because I got a huge backing from my mother and sister,'' Mishal unwinds, as he made a dash to the Pyaar Vyaar auditions and made it in the show. ''I also did theatre with Nadira Babbar for a while. But this show's great,'' he runs back to the time he and his buddy went to the chemist to buy condoms. ''Fled the shop without it,'' he laughs at ''those were the years.'' ''In fact I am like Kush when it comes to living dream sequences, in an illusionary bubble.'' Ask him about his real dream, and he doesn't mind running around trees as the lead guy. ''Movies it is and being a hotelier.'' Why hotels? ''Because my mum's a great chef (so am I) and I am food freak. Health too.'' So much that his Sindhi bachcha needs a refill every four hours at the sets! ''That's life and I'm lovin' it.''
Destiny's child
kaira11 thumbnail

Anurag Basu's soon-to-be-launched show Love Story on SAB suffered a tragedy on the sets on Wednesday morning.

The director of the show, Jagdish Sharma, better known as Jaggi in telly land, suffered a massive heart attack and passed away even before he could be rushed to the hospital. He was in his early 30s.

The incident happened at around 9 am at the Visage Studios, Jogeshwari.

Basu had not arrived on the sets when Jaggi suddenly collapsed and developed fits.

It is learnt that minutes earlier he had told the unit hands that he was feeling uneasy and had also complained of chest pains.

Shocking news

Basu is in a state of shock. "Jaggi had called me in the morning to inquire what time I would arrive on the sets. Today was his first day at the shoot. Jaggi was like a younger brother to me.

We are all so stunned and we still can't believe he is no more. Just hours earlier, he was planning the shots and now he has gone."

Jaggi has earlier directed several shows like Sarrkar, Jab Love Hua, Remix and Manzilein Apni Apni. He has been an assistant to Basu since the Tara days.

"He as a family member and initially even lived at my place till he set up his own home at Mira Road," adds Basu.

Blame it on stress?

Was Jaggi a victim of stress?

"He has been shooting daily soaps for years. Stress is a part of television shoots. But Love Story has not even gone on air yet. We are just banking the episodes. The show will go on air only post the World Cup," says Basu.

Love Story's cast includes Rupa Ganguly and Harsh Chhaya among others. Besides Jaggi, the other director is Siddharth Anand Kumar, Roshni Chopra's (Pia of Kasamh Se) husband. We have two units shooting. Jaggi had just begun work on his," says Basu.

Jaggi was a bachelor and his family is based in New Delhi. His body will be flown in for the last rites to Delhi.
shruti thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 9
The New Kids on the Block

They've barely hit the small screen and their careers are just taking off. These kids could well be tomorrow's big names on television. Here is all you need to know about these brand new faces!

Priya Wal
Serial: Jeete Hai Jiske Liye
Priya plays the role of Aayesha in the serial. Aayesha is the much pampered daughter of Ayub Khan and Renuka Shahane. She is a very confident young woman who makes her own decisions.

Priya was born in Ajmer. She went to boarding school in Delhi. She loves tennis and says she "wanted to be the next Steffi Graf" when she was younger. She even went to Tennis Academy for two years!

Acting was never part of Priya's plan. She says, "I never wanted to be an actor. This career happened to me by chance. It was a purely optional thing for me when I never thought I would do. When I started acting I started enjoying it. I was proud to see myself on TV."

The actress loves traveling and watching movies. She also likes to write and read in her spare time.

Priya has previously done work for C.I.D, Lucky, Yes Boss, Remix and Ek Chhabi Hai Padoos Mai.

Shubhangi Aatre
Serial: Kasturi
Shubhangi plays the title role in the serial Kasturi which revolves around her family.

Shubhangi is from Indore. She has completed her MBA from IMS with the dream of becoming a manager in a multinational company. She did her major in marketing and chose HR as her minor. She has been staying in Pune for the last two years with her husband, a marketing manager for Arrowhead, a Barter Company.

On describing herself, Shubhangi says, "I am a trained Kathak dancer and have done many dance shows during my college days. My parents stay in Indore while my in-laws are in Pune."

Shubhangi has modeled for saris designed by Bhaskar Namak in Madhya Pradesh.

She has recently entered Kasauti Zindagi Kay as Palchin.

Yuvraj Malhotra
Serial: Jeete Hai Jiske Liye
Yuvraj Malhotra plays Rahul Dhanrajgir, the son of Ayub Khan and Renuka Shahane who is not at all fond of his father. This poor little rich boy does not have the support of his mother who has been falsely accused of murder. He is taken care of by his sister and aunt and because he is rich and spoilt he turns negative.

Yuvraj is from Delhi and he completed his studies there. Before he bagged the role in this serial, Yuraj was working as an interior designer with Indornal Interior Pvt Ltd for two years. He says, "Interior designing is my hobby which I made my work. Other than that I like listening to music, hanging out with friends and watching movies."

His father is a theatre actor and has worked with Satish Koshik and Raj Babbar. It was his influence that inspired Yvraj to act:

"I have seen my father perform since childhood so acting has been my dream for a long time. I wanted to start with big banners and a big star cast. That is why I waited for two and a half years. My friend Amit told me to go for this audition and here I am."

Yuvraj started his career walking the ramp and has done commercials for Dhara Oil, Rejoice and Lays with Saif Ali Khan. This will be his first serial and the young actor if quite happy to be starting with a big star cast.

Payal Sarkar
Serial: Love Story
Payal is playing the cute and bubbly Shruti from Delhi in Love Story. Shruti stays with her uncle and aunt and their kids, her cousin brothers, as she is an orphan. When she starts going to college she meets Aakash and falls in love with him.

Payal says: "There are some similarities between me and my character. Like her, I'm bubbly and sensible. However I have never faced the problems which Shruti is going to face in the show. Shruti is very out spoken and I'm not."

Payal is originally from Kolkatta where she completed her graduation in history. Her whole family stays there whereas she resides in Malad, Mumbai. Her parents are continuously traveling to and fro to be close to her.

"I didn't plan to become an actor. Anurag saw me when I was shooting for the Bengali film "I love you" and offered me this role. Then I came to Bombay for the auditions I was selected." Says Payal.

Payal has appeared has done a few ads prior to Love Story with Pradeep Sarkar.

Mishal Raheja
Serial: Love Story
Mishal Raheja plays bad boy Aakash in Love Story. Aakash is a typical backbencher troublemaker who never pays any attention to his studies. That is of course, till a girl called Shruti comes into his life and changes it completely.

Mishal however is the opposite of his onscreen character. He says, "I'm not like Aakash in reality. I'm not fighter like him. I'm a romantic and happy go lucky type of a guy. Acting is my passion and playing cricket, tennis and basket ball are my hobbies. I'm a great foodie. During our shoots I have to be fed every four hours!"

Mishal is from Mumbai and has previously played a small role in the MTV show Payr Vyar and All That. He has completed his graduation in business management from the US. Mishal started his career with ad films and has recently done a commercial for Air India which will be shown at airports only. Mishal has also campaigned for the AIDS Hero's project.

Acting has been Mishals ambition since he was a little boy:

"I wanted to become actor since I was a kid but nobody offered me role at that time! The production house called me up as they saw my earlier show Payr Vyar and All That. i went I went for the audition on my birthday. It proved lucky for me as they selected me for the role!"

The actor wants to clearly state that he is "single right now. You can write it in bold letters and a big font!"

http://www.indya.com/news/new_plus.html
Lrl_Diwani thumbnail
The 'net' difference!
5 Jan, 2006 l 2108 hrs ISTlPratiksha Thanki/TIMES NEWS NETWORK
Print
Save
EMail
Write to Editor

'Men and women have become equally adept at surfing the Internet, but a recent survey shows how they make different use of the same technology'.

Mars and Venus both have access to the technology of the millennium — Internet. Men and women have become equally adept at surfing the Internet, but a recent survey shows how they make different use of the same technology.

As per the report: "Online life mirrors off-line life very closely. Men are more action-oriented and women are more communication- oriented."

Budding actor Mishal Raheja says, "I surf for the latest models of cars and gadgets. I also read news on the net."

Sarod players Aman and Ayan Ali Khan have also set up their own website. "I enjoy looking up for interesting messages people put on our site. I enjoy looking up for sports cars and aircraft.

I also surf for holiday spots across the world and chat with my friends," says Aman Ali Khan.