Turn on the Automatic Updates feature

pujas thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 19 years ago

Turn on the Automatic Updates feature

Important The Automatic Updates feature you are about to turn on will only download future Microsoft updates. You still need to use Windows Update to get up to date with previous updates. (We'll tell you how at the end of this step.)

Click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Performance and Maintenance.

Tip If the Performance and Maintenance category is not visible, click Switch to Category View.

Use Up-to-Date Antivirus SoftwareUse Up-to-Date Antivirus SoftwareSwitch to Category View
    Switch to Category View
    Click System. Click Automatic Updates and then select Keep my computer up to date. Select a setting. Microsoft recommends selecting Automatically download the updates, and install them on the schedule that I specify and setting a daily update time.

Choose Automatically download the updates and install them on a schedule that I specify
    Choose Automatically download the updates and
    install them on a schedule that I specify

Important You can schedule Automatic Updates for any time of day. Remember, your computer must be on at the scheduled time for updates to be installed. (We recommend choosing a time when you will not be using the computer for other tasks.)

1. If you choose to have Automatic Updates notify you in step 5, you will see a notification balloon when new downloads are available to install.

Click the notification balloon to review and install updates.

Click the balloon to install new updates
Click the balloon to install new updates

Next, get up to date with Windows Update

Now that you have Automatic Updates turned on, you will receive all new critical and security-related updates automatically. However, Automatic Updates does not download previously released updates or non-critical updates. Use these instructions to bring your computer up to date with previous security updates now, and to get non-critical updates in the future.

Bookmark this page. Go to the Windows Update site. Follow the directions on the Windows Update site to review and select downloads.
  1. When finished, return to this page and go to the final step in protecting your PC: Use Up-to-Date Antivirus Software.

Tip Some updates cannot be installed until you restart your computer. Be sure to return to Windows Update after restarting and check for additional updates. You might have to do this several times to ensure you have all the latest updates.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

HUMM thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 19 years ago
Hey good job and thks for the info!!
And keep that post coming!!😊😊
rabeeak2003 thumbnail