Mujhe bhi kuchh kehna hai !!!!!!

ani11 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

I am starting this thread as the old one got closed...

As Dr Shukla said on the old thread....

On Deepak and Mythili's suggestion, I am opening this new thread and will make sticky -at least for a while to see how it goes.

On this thread we can just rattle off...shoot breeze...vent...get on a soap-box and speak our mind on things totally random. Unlike other threads, posts on this one does not have to be in context posts before it.

If you read something, see something, hear something...current or historical and that riles you up...just come here and say what exacly is on you mind. If it is a peice of news or there are other references to what you are speaking about, feel free to post a link so the others know what it is that you are talking about.

So DMers get started...😊

Link to the old thread..

http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=432143&T PN=1

Important Note from Mods :

Please keep the atmosphere clean. Any sort of attacks, direct or indirect, sarcasm, taking digs, trolling ...Any thing which is an obstackle for a friendly forum, will be immediately edited with an open warning.

This is also my humble request to all DMers that if you have any problem with the content of a post, please use the report button, or PM Minnie, s.priya or MNMS.😊

Thank you very much. Enjoy!!

DM Dev Team

Edited by MNMS - 17 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ani11 thumbnail

Lets continue with our discussion on the V.Tech tradegy..

POSTED MY Mermaid-QT

What is happening to this world 😭 😭

Virginia Tech Rampage

check any news, any channel ..
atleast 31 students dead, 29 injured..  worst campus shooting in US history, deadliest shooting incident in the US..

Best wishes and prayers for all of you who have family / friends/ loved ones at V-tech. 

😭😭

Edited by ani11 - 17 years ago
ani11 thumbnail

Posted by Egghatcher(Taran)

Just yesterday i made a statement that south asians are better cultured . and now this south korean comes forth with force majeure and shows what can happen when a normal mind is forced to snapping level ...something that is more prevalent in the occident environment ..Just my steadfast POV..

What Made Him Do It?

As details trickle in about the identity of suspected shooter Cho Seung-Hui, a closer look at what psychologists tell us about the mind of the mass murderer.

April 17, 2007 - Who was the gunman at Virginia Tech? On Tuesday morning, officials named him as Cho Seung Hui, a student who lived on campus, but they were still trying to understand what had triggered his rampage. It is a struggle researchers across the nation can identify with all too well. For decades, forensic psychologists have tried to create a profile of a typical mass murderer, with similar hopes of fathoming what could drive a seemingly normal person to such a horrible act. But they, too, have managed to sketch only a faint outline. Theres no one profile of a mass murderer, says Jana Martin, a licensed psychologist in Long Beach, California. Some kill for revenge, others kill for fame; some give off obvious warning signs while others strike unexpectedly; some go after people they know, and others simply look for the nearest target. Until details about Cho's life and death begin to filter out, there will be only one trait that ties him to all the others, says Louis Schlesinger, a professor of forensic psychology at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice. He is someone who is filled with such hatred that he doesnt want to kill one specific person. He just wants to kill."

Story continues below
 topmargin="0">

Researchers seeking to understand multiple murders have little evidence to work with, says Schlesinger. Mass killings are extremely rare, and most gunmen are shot down by police before they can be apprehended, or else they commit suicide, as Cho apparently did. That fact has prevented psychologists from coming to a full understanding of the murderers motives; with no killers to question, they must piece together clues from those who knew the perpetrators. After these episodes, everyone becomes a psychologist, looking back for warning signs, says Jack Levin, a forensic psychologist at Northeastern University who gave a lecture on serial murder at Virginia Tech last year. But the observations of friends and family members are often unreliable, he adds, informed more by 20/20 hindsight than anything else.

Still, psychologists can say a few things with certainly about who is more likely to commit the most serious of crimes. Over 90 percent of killers are male, and the same holds for mass murderersI cant think of a single case where a woman has done this, says Schlesingerpartly because men tend to have more access to guns, which are usually the weapons of choice. The killers are usually somewhere between the ages of 25 and 35. They generally do not have previous histories of breaking the law in any serious way, says Levin. And they are not, on the whole, psychopaths, although they are often identified in the media as such. A psychopath is someone with little conscience, little interpersonal bonding, someone whos smooth and manipulative," says Schlesinger. "That personality has nothing, zero, to do with mass murder."

Indeed, the personality type most often associated with mass murder is in some ways the opposite of a psychopath. He is far from cool-headed; instead, he is aggrieved, hurt, and above all paranoid. Some mass murderers may be trying to exercise power over a world that they feel has left them powerless. "These people often feel some great injustice has been done to them. They're angry and they want to take it out on the world," says Schlesinger. "Then they develop the idea that committing murder will be the solution to whatever their problem is, and they fixate on it. Eventually they come to feel that there's no other solution."

The problems that the murderers, however horribly, are trying to "solve" can be almost anythingthe loss of a job, a financial setback, or a bad breakup (several of Cho's classmates have told reporters that he was looking for his girlfriend). But these relatively minor setbacks are merely the events that push the killers over the edge; they don't put them near the edge in the first place. They are usually the last in a long string of perceived insults and hardships. "You don't just get a D on your report card and then open fire on 30 people," says Levin. "It takes a prolonged series of frustrations. These people are chronically depressed and miserable."

Because their lists of grievances are so long, mass murderers do not always limit their killings to those they think have directly and recently wronged them. They may simply hope to do the most damage possible. With this type of mass murder there's not always even a relationship [between the killer and the victims], says Schlesinger. Schools and restaurants are places where these types of mass murders occur, but that could be for the simple reason that there are lots of people there. In Mondays case, however, several psychologists said they were not surprised that Cho turned out to be a Virginia Tech student. Almost always [in school shootings], the perpetrator is a student who seeks revenge, says Levin. In the most deadly college shooting in America before this weeksa 1966 attack at the University of Texas that killed 16 and wounded 31the perpetrator, Charles Whitman, had been a student and research assistant at UT. Some mass murderers, Levin says, want to conduct "executions" of their classmates, as Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris did at Columbine High School. As for Cho and whatever had upset him, Levin says, "It was murder by proxy. I think he was trying to kill the college."

Potential killers, especially the young, are highly suggestible. In their volatile minds, the "copycat factor" often takes on added importance. The Columbine shootings have inspired several similar plans. And Levin says Cho, who was of Korean descent, may have been influenced by a mass shooting in at Dawson College in Montreal last September. That shooter was also a male, Asian student in his 20s. "The inspiration, if there is one, usually comes from someone who shares important characteristics with the killer," says Levin. "I'd venture a guess that that's what happened here."

If Cho had been planning his murderous spree since Septembers shooting in Montreal, it wouldn't be out of the ordinary. Some mass murderers spend a year or more hatching their plans. In that time, they may leave clues as to their intentions. But these clues are not always easy to see. Many of the warning signsa near-daily loss of temper, vandalism, increased alcohol and drug use, overreacting to slight setbacksare characteristic of depression in general. "These are warning signs that a person is in trouble, not that he's going to kill 30 people," says Levin. "There are hundreds of thousands of people who have led lives of frustration, who blame others for their problems, and who are socially isolated, but guess what? They never kill anyone." Peter Sheras, a clinical psychologist at the University of Virginia, says one key to recognizing serious warning signs is learning which ones seem likely to play out in real life. "People need to distinguish between transient threatsthings that pass in a moment of anger that get cleared upversus serious threats where there's a likelihood that it's going to be carried out," he says. "You can't completely know, but if the person is depressed or despondent or suicidal, we should take that more seriously."

Unfortunately, though, by then it may be too late. Once a person has decided to commit mass murder, he's extremely unlikely to admit to being depressed or to seek psychological help, and he may also cut off many relationships with friends who might encourage him to do so. In other words, the people who need counseling the most are those who will try hardest to avoid it. "By the time they've reached a point where they have a plan to kill somebody, their life is not of value to them anymore," Martin says. "Their goal is to hurt someone or become famous in some way, and they don't, at that point, want to stop themselves from accomplishing that."

Indeed, for mass murderers, there is usually only one way to end their plans, and thus to stop whatever pain they feel. Most of them ultimately commit suicide, says Levin, or otherwise they "commit suicide by cop"-hoping that sharpshooters will stop them with a well-aimed bullet. In death, at least, they feel they can put down the pain and anger they carry. "They may think, 'I may never amount to much, but I'm going to die amounting to something. This is my final mark on the world, my final statement,'" says Martin. "It's a fantasy that they will have the ultimate last word, even if they don't live to see it." At Virginia Tech, though, there are many words of sorrow left to be said.

Edited by ani11 - 17 years ago
sareg thumbnail
Ah a thread only for the guys, now that is a rarity in DM πŸ˜ƒ

that is what I wanted to get off of my chest πŸ˜‰
persistence thumbnail

Originally posted by: sareg

πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

sareg thumbnail
For years, Democrats have been urging more stricter gun control in America and Republicans have been arguing to implement existing laws.

Now the kid who is accused of shooting was a South Korean, so if he was on a visa, how was he able to get a gun, I thought you atleast need a Green card to buy a gun, I might be wrong

But he did buy the gun fair and square and people actually suspected he fit the profile for a school shooter.

If they take all the guns off of the street, this country might have lesser crimes, but then the huge jungly people will rule by power of wrist and also the NRA will never let them ban any kind of weapons.

Lobbying and politics kills people in America
Aanandaa thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: sareg

🀣

The things that you always want to get off your chest...I am sure there are so many more, I mean the things that you were collecting from sooooooo many decadesπŸ˜›

Wah ek naya thread. Ab main kya likhoon? Let me start with a juicy gossip about the most awaited shaadi of the year. πŸ˜†

Jaya Bachchan has only one sister Rita Bhaduri who is married to Rajeev Verma (the guy who played Salman Khan's dad in MPK) but they are not invited for the wedding. I wonder why? Does bank balance really matter in all relations?

Edited by Maya_M - 17 years ago
Aanandaa thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Maya_M

Wah ek naya thread. Ab main kya likhoon? Let me start with a juicy gossip about the most awaited shaadi of the year. πŸ˜†

Jaya Bachchan has only one sister Rita Bhaduri who is married to Rajeev Verma (the guy who played Salman Khan's dad in MPK) but they are not invited for the wedding. I wonder why? Does bank balance really matter in all relations?

Oh so Rita Bhaduri is really Jaya's sister..I always wondered about it...πŸ€“

May be it does for some people

Originally posted by: raksha.l

Oh so Rita Bhaduri is really Jaya's sister..I always wondered about it...πŸ€“

May be it does for some people

Not TV wali Rita Bhaduri (Kajjal' bua). This Rita Bhaduri is some theatre artist, an unknown face.