Neeru Bajwa's passion for fashion

anishma24 thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
Neeru Bajwa's passion for fashion
   By: Tushar Joshi
   March 14, 2007

The actress is planning to open a designer store in her hometown Surrey (in Canada) this August

India Chic: Neeru Bajwa
Neeru Bajwa has been harbouring a secret passion, besides acting. The actress has been fascinated with clothes ever since she was a child.

"I've always loved clothes and enjoy mixing and matching stuff. Even though I got into acting, I would always read and study fashion. It was a passion I couldn't let go of," she says.

This year, Neeru has big plans to make her obsession with clothes into a business reality. She plans to open her own boutique in her hometown in Surrey, Canada.

"I've been wanting to do this for a really long time. I spoke to Amit (Sadh, her boyfriend) about it and he was immensely supportive of my plans," says Neeru.
Name game

Even though she hasn't yet fixed a name for the store, Neeru is thinking of two options. "We still have to zero in on a name, but I will either go with Aaina or Kinnari. The store will be in Surrey, which is a stronghold of Punjabis in Canada."

When asked what prompted her to take up designing seriously, Neeru adds, "Whenever I would go back home, I would see people travelling all the way to India to pick up bridal wear or certain fabrics.

That was a big reason for me to want to start something in my hometown. I want to make it possible for Punjabi women to pick up salwar-kameezes without having to make a trip to India."

Starting off with the women's line, Neeru plans to incorporate everything that today's women can wear. "The focus will be on retailing traditional Punjabi wear and also doing bridal outfits and other festive clothes. I plan to start the store by the end of August."

Interestingly, Neeru has been also giving style tips to Amit for his show Durgesh Nandinii on Sony. "I keep giving him suggestions on the suits and what kind of a look will define him best. I am happy with the way he's looking on the show."

Neeru will be leaving for Chandigarh next week to do some fabric shopping and meet the team who will be working on the store with her.

When asked if she will take up designing full time, she says, "Of course not, acting is still and will always be my first priority. I am doing fashion designing as a hobby and something I immensely enjoy."

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

coolprince143 thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
Wow, I didn't know she was interested in fashion. Thanks for the info.