Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

mermaid_QT thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
Is empowering / strength equivalent of CULTURE?
In that case, do you support that CRUSADES will decide what the better religion is?
chatbuster thumbnail

right.😛 and i suppose the devil is right in his/ her own way too, given how it all comes down to individual perspective. 😉 maybe we shouldn't really think too poorly of the devil? after all, doing bad stuff is part of the sorry fella's "fidrat"/ culture/ world-view, no?😆

ps. cant decide whether the devil is a he/ she. anyone? 😆JK

chatbuster thumbnail

Originally posted by: mermaid_QT

was it their culture that was inferior?  or were they lacking just the suitable tactics of empowering fury of Mom Nature?

i'd say so. after all, culture references all aspects of mankind IMO and i'd think that ability to protect oneself against disasters is part and parcel of it.😊

chatbuster thumbnail
just wanted to continue playing devil's advocate here...

first, yes, there's good and bad everywhere around us. that's a no-brainer and does not require rocket science to figure out IMO. yet we do have favorites when it comes to movies; we do pick friends from amongst the people we know; we do choose clubs to associate with; we do pick partners for life. in each case, we manage to discriminate amongst various complex imperfect options and find one superior to another, at least for ourselves, at any point in time.

wonder why it is that we then have such a hard time articulating or believing in the superiority of one culture over another. too much sensitivity training? or a desire to appear open-minded and tolerant? too much political correctness? fear of getting beaten up?

second, to say that it comes down to individual perspective is also a no-brainer. that's another easy copout that we can throw out any time we are asked to make hard choices. isnt there a higher concept ever of what's superior and inferior?
mermaid_QT thumbnail

Originally posted by: chatbuster

just wanted to continue playing devil's advocate here...

first, yes, there's good and bad everywhere around us. that's a no-brainer and does not require rocket science to figure out IMO. yet we do have favorites when it comes to movies; we do pick friends from amongst the people we know; we do choose clubs to associate with; we do pick partners for life. in each case, we manage to discriminate amongst various complex imperfect options and find one superior to another, at least for ourselves, at any point in time.

wonder why it is that we then have such a hard time articulating or believing in the superiority of one culture over another. too much sensitivity training? or a desire to appear open-minded and tolerant? too much political correctness? fear of getting beaten up?

second, to say that it comes down to individual perspective is also a no-brainer. that's another easy copout that we can throw out any time we are asked to make hard choices. isnt there a higher concept ever of what's superior and inferior?

👏  
I was so wanting to say this myself.  You are not playing the devil's advocate at all IMO.   For all the above mentioned reasons,  I cannot actually say that IMO one of the cultures is superior.  No I cannot.  I cannot fully back up my choice and LOGICALLY / intellectually justify that it is superior.  ONE of them is still my FAVORITE and find it superior in matters that I prioratize in my life is all I can say 😃. 

I guess the real problem is that Superior is yet another relative term!   I loved debating with you Rahul, on this, whether you did or not 😃.  You really cornered me and my thoughts and I loved the challenge.  I contributed all I could already.   (For example, after my long speech about superiority of caveman, I did not anticipate you flooring me with the "caveman justified as sperior culture,  sword".. I had to bounce back and justify us as superiors in 21st century 😆😆..  haha.. this was fun all way into crusades )

My take home message is cultural SUPERIORITY is in terms of different facets of a culture.  It is more complicated than I like it to be, but not so hard to accept.
Edited by mermaid_QT - 17 years ago
chatbuster thumbnail

Originally posted by: mermaid_QT

👏  
I was so wanting to say this myself.  You are not playing the devil's advocate at all IMO.   For all the above mentioned reasons,  I cannot actually say that IMO one of the cultures is superior.  No I cannot.  I cannot fully back up my choice and LOGICALLY / intellectually justify that it is superior.  ONE of them is still my FAVORITE and find it superior in matters that I prioratize in my life is all I can say 😃. 

I guess the real problem is that Superior is yet another relative term!   I loved debating with you Rahul, on this, whether you did or not 😃.  You really cornered me and my thoughts and I loved the challenge.  I contributed all I could already.   (For example, after my long speech about superiority of caveman, I did not anticipate you flooring me with the "caveman justified as sperior culture,  sword".. I had to bounce back and justify us as superiors in 21st century 😆😆..  haha.. this was fun all way into crusades )

My take home message is cultural SUPERIORITY is in terms of different facets of a culture.  It is more complicated than I like it to be, but not so hard to accept.

i enjoyed that too cutie. i also know one can get carried away sometimes but i feel from personal experience interacting with you that you're never one to get too het up anyway. and that allows for more give-and-take punches that makes it fun😆

on this topic, frankly, i really dont have an opinion. i just thought it worthwhile to throw something out that reflects the other viewpoint and to see how that plays out. you had great points and it was interesting seeing how you could be so persusasive speaking up for the tree-swinging cultural types.😆😆

mermaid_QT thumbnail

Originally posted by: chatbuster

i enjoyed that too cutie. i also know one can get carried away sometimes but i feel from personal experience interacting with you that you're never one to get too het up anyway. and that allows for more give-and-take punches that makes it fun😆

tee hee hee 😆 

on this topic, frankly, i really dont have an opinion.

quite frankly, neither do i 😆😆..

i just thought it worthwhile to throw something out that reflects the other viewpoint and to see how that plays out. you had great points and it was interesting seeing how you could be so persusasive speaking up for the tree-swinging cultural types.😆😆

i amazed myself there with those thoughts , u left me no choice though..  😳but my mention of INUKSHUK is heart-felt.  I love that concept .. and yey to cave-men for that! 

cewl.. 🤗
chatbuster thumbnail

kewl lol

mermaid_QT thumbnail
On a lighter note, some L. acidophilus make tasty yoghurt and hence provide better (more effcient) culture ..
🤣 🤣 🤣

let me hide now

swordfishh thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
In my opinion.... there is no Superior and Inferior in culture...
Its a question of preception... For an Indian, his/her culture will be the best of all cuz his/her culture stands for what he/she belives in... It represents their evinronment anf their upbringing...

Similarly.... The Western World believes the same... More than cultured they believe themselves to be more civilised than the asians and africans... No wonder we had some ridiculus terminology like "White Man's Burden"