Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 17 years ago
DUGGI TARANG

Model no. Description
150 Brass metal pots-set of three Duggies dia. 13-17 cms in low, medium and high pitch, tuning rods for easy tuning and quicker replacement of heads.
150/S With metal straps, similar to one used for tabla dagga model 203/S.
DAMROO, DAFRI, DUMBAK, MARVAS & UDKKA

Model no. 155/S & 155/L (Damroo)

Model no. 159/S (Udkka)

Model no. 157 (Marvas)

Model no. 161 (Dumbak)

Model no. 158 (Dafri)
Model No. Description
155/S Damroo - Length about 11 cms wooden shell.
155/M Damroo - Length about 12 cms wooden shell.
155/L Damroo - Length about 15 cms wooden shell.
158 Dafri - Rhythm instrument, wooden frame, Goat skin Leather, in assorted sizes.
161 Dumbak - Wooden shell, in plain attractive colours, head dia. 19-20 cms. height about 35cms, also known as Chameli, mechanical fitting.
161/B Dumbak - As in 161 with different sizes, height 63 cms., head dia. 31 cms no mechanical fitting.
157 Marvas - Attractive coloured shell.
157/S Marvas - Plain teakwood shell.
159/S Udkka - Rhythm instrument, sound variation by pressing or releasing the strings instrument played by holding in the armpit. Plain coloured jackwood shell, height 42-45 cms superior workmanship.
222/S Wooden Madal - Orginally from Nepal, wooden shelf, leather heads, leather straps.
ritzbitz thumbnail
hey amazing dia.. and i could play all of them .. πŸ˜‰   πŸ˜› thanx.. for your input πŸ‘

Originally posted by: ritzbitz

hey amazing dia.. and i could play all of them .. πŸ˜‰   πŸ˜› thanx.. for your input πŸ‘

How sweet... me too... they just don't sound like the way professionals sound πŸ˜‰πŸ˜† and thanks😳
wite_rainbow thumbnail

Originally posted by: 2smart4u

How sweet... me too... they just don't sound like the way professionals sound πŸ˜‰πŸ˜† and thanks😳

dia i was wondering if you can eleborate ont he matkas? im still cant understand properlyπŸ˜›

advil thumbnail
[QUOTE=2smart4u]
BANGLA KHOL & MADAL [/quote]
Dia, great to see you here.By the way, which classification of instrument do all these fall under?πŸ˜‰πŸ˜³
Have you listened to any one of the clips provided?
Which instrument do you like listening to?

...pj..πŸ˜‰
Edited by adi_0112 - 17 years ago
Guardian Angel thumbnail
Some of the African and Peru instruments. I will post more later. Cheers.

Yoruba instrument from Nigeria.
This instrument is considered the most important drum by the Yoruba, who call it iya, literally, "the mother." It is played in almost any situation that requires music, mimicking spoken Yoruba speech tones. The varying sounds are obtained by holding the drum under the arm and squeezing the tension strings while striking the membrane with a curved stick. The bells also add sound.

The Marimba, also known as "Balafon," xylophone or "Gyile" in Dagarti are from the North West of Ghana. The xylophonist is also a vocalist, playing on their own or with flute or drum. Xylophones provide both melody and rhythm and are used at celebrations and festivals.

An Udu is a clay pot drum based on those created by the Ibo and Hausa tribes in Nigeria. ("Udu" means "pot" in the Ibo language.) This drum came about when some ancient village potters struck a second opening -a side hole- in a clay water vessel and discovered the beautiful sound it produced. This became the "side hole" pot drum. The deep, haunting tones it produced were thought by many to be the "voices of the ancestors." They were initially used in religious and cultural ceremonies.

These are nice wood bamboo flutes made in Peru with various designs painted on them. 18" long. Kids and adults alike enjoy them.
Barnali thumbnail
Thanx Adi, Dia and Minali for ur extra inputs. I will try to get some professional clippings of all these instruments.
shootingstar thumbnail
A really nice and useful thread.Thanks for everyone's input.It's amazing that there are so many instruments...knowing only one of them is nothing πŸ˜•
Qwest thumbnail
Sugar Belly Walker
and his Bamboo Saxophone

Sugar Bellys Bamboo Sax
Sugar Belly Walker and his Bamboo Saxophone

One of the leading lights of the Jamaican music scene in the 1950s was Wilfred Fitzgerald Walker, better known as Sugar Belly. Sugar Belly had built his own saxophone-like instrument of bamboo, cardboard and tin and, with no formal music education, had taught himself to play it with facility, style, passion and joy. The popular music of the day was a style called mento, closer in mood to the easy good-times feel of the old Trinidadian calypso than to the Jamaican ska and reggae that were to come later, and even when he later played reggae, Sugar Belly always had that fluid, swaying feel of the older music.

Sugar Belly's irresistible Shake Up Adina is one of the tunes included in CD collection Gravikords, Whirlies & Pyrophones, while more information on the man, his life and his music appear in the accompanying book. You can hear an excerpt from that track by clicking the link at left. Better yet: order the book and CD from our catalog now.

Edited by Qwest - 17 years ago