Simone Singh & Kitu Gidwani

anjali.nair thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
The Spouse

She's a delicate beauty but she emits a strong persona. Meet Simone Singh, who after sheding buckets of glycerine in Heena is all set to give it back to her erring husband in Kasshish...

Like Heena, Kasshish too is about a wronged wife whose husband has an extra-marital affair. So, what made you take up something similar?
Not just the theme of extra-marital affair, there are many subjects in which you will find similarities. This is true of both films and serials. What makes one different from the other is its narrative, the way a story is told. Heena and Pia, the character I play in Kasshish are extremely different. As an actress, what attracted me to the serial was that the story, the characters and the situations are extremely real. Pia's approach to life, her response to things are different from those you see in usual serials. Pia takes time to absorb the situation and has a sensible thought out response. The story is told in a mature way, it is an indepth exploration of relationships, characters and their motivations. All the characters, specially mine is etched beautifully. What more does an actress want?

Are you happy with the time-slot? (It is aired at 11 pm every week day).
I know that people are watching it as I have been getting a positive feedback. In any case, that is something I don't want to talk about because I am only an actress and these things are not my doing.

You seem to do only one serial at a time. Any specific reason?
The projects I take up require a lot of time, so I don't want to take on too many.

What about Cosmic Chat. How do you manage that?
A chat show, it is basically a natural interaction between the celebrity guest and me. I had already done one such show The Lounge on CNN.

What about films. You had a very good role in Sur followed by K3G. But you haven't capitalised on your breaks?
My career is in television. Films are a little break from television for me. I have been getting offers but they are the standard roles, nothing that interests me.

What is your criteria for selecting roles?
I can't really tell you anything specific. For me, a role need not be substantial, what is important is that it should interest me. I liked playing Camila in Kal Ho Naa Ho. It was fun. It was great working with Kajol in K3G. For me, the role has to just click and I should feel like doing it. Frankly, I haven't been looking seriously at doing films. Maybe, now I will.

Is there anything in the offing?
Not really. But I have already done Marigold in which I play a beauty queen who turns into an actress. Then there's Being Cyrus, the Saif-Dimple starrer, which I think you should see. I don't want to reveal anything.

You seem to be the eternal Santoor model?
I had a contract with them for four years. But now, I have a contract with Garnier so it won't be fair to talk about Santoor.

Besides Kasshish, are you looking at doing any other serial?
Well, I would love to do something like CID or Special Squad.

The Woman

She was one of the small-screen's earliest sizzlers. Kitu Gidwani who hasn't lost any of her svelte looks is back on TV as the other woman in Kasshish...

Kitu Gidwani who plays Ratna the other woman in Ravi Rai's love triangle Kasshish began her TV career two decades ago with Air hostess and attained success as Ketki in Khandan. Although this svelte and sexy Sindhi actress has done over 30 serials, prominent being Swabhimaan and Junoon, she believes her best is yet to come. "I am always yearning to do very powerful roles like Svetlana, the protagonist of Swabihiman," she avers.

As for her character Ratna in Kasshish, she describes her as a free spirited, creative individual, a strong woman, who thinks out of the box. Someone rare, who is not ready to live life by given social conventions and norms. All the three principal characters, Kitu, Simone(Pia) and Ayub(Anand) try to solve this major upheaval in their lives in a dignified and mature manner. There is no mudslinging and name calling, as there is in other serials. Rather they talk, cry, share and feel for each other. As for being the other woman, Kitu counters, "Ratna has fallen in love, when has it been a crime to fall in love. Such things happen in life and when they do, what are the consequences for everybody involved, is what the story is all about."

Kitu cannot understand the hullabaloo being created over playing the other woman in Indian television. Those people who point finger at others must remember, that at the same time, nine other fingers are pointing at them too she points out. "I am only breaking a marriage in TV, people are doing it in real life. It doesn't even stop there, haven't we all heard cases of incest going around in our society." She feels that her character does not need any justifications for her actions. She has fallen in love, period. Her answer to all criticisms is that, 'I am an actor, who is responsible only to her director, to do good work. If you want any changes, please catch Ravi, after all, its his baby, not mine.'

If the Indian public does not supposedly like such themes, then how come our saas bahu serials, which have adultery written all over them, have been so damn successful she asks. Kitu feels that the Indian audience too needs to grow up and stop crying over stuff such as adultery and move on. Indian television, she says has grown exponentially over the years but the quality of work has suffered. "Earlier the projects and concepts were deep and different. In between things had fallen behind, but now slowly thing are getting better," she opines.

The camaraderie between her, Ayub and Simon is obvious because they share similar vibes. "The three of us are like a house on fire," she grins. When asked about the feedback, she was getting regarding the serial, she said it was great, all her friends and relatives have praised her role."

Apart from Kasshish, Kitu is also doing another project for Zee a telefilm called Sangini with Farooque Sheikh. She will also be seen on the big screen in Indian Born Confused Desi with Seema Anand; a Delhi filmmaker.

Personally, she does not want to enter the rat race, for she has done more then her fair share of work and now wants to enjoy a quality life. She cannot slog endless ly at the sets as she needs time for her family and house, as well as for other extra circular actives such as ball room dancing, working out, yoga, shows etc. Soon, the actress will be tying the knot with her fiance' Sujay Sood who is an upcoming writer.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

*Shona* thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
Thanks Anju. Not being biased because of their relative roles in Kashish, but, I personally prefer Simone Singh. She is beautiful, a very good actress and is very natural!😊
OodlesDoodles thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7
I think Kitu has come back after a break so we all still remember Simone as we saw her more often. I think both of them essay their roles well
*Shona* thumbnail

Originally posted by: fortvpur

I think Kitu has come back after a break so we all still remember Simone as we saw her more often. I think both of them essay their roles well

ya priya, they are both good actresses....i havent really seen kitu in anything before and have been a fan of simone for a long time...so maybe thats why i prefer her...but one thing is for sure...both women look very dignified and polished...with soft features and delicate faces...these features also make their performance very effective.

i hope i made sense here.😳

OodlesDoodles thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7
You have hit the nail on its head. They both have very powerful performances.
anjali.nair thumbnail
I agree Priya. I like Kitu & Simone. Actually Kitu have to emote more in the show. I like both actors. Excellent choice. Those who don't know Kitu Gidwani; she was highest paid actress in Indian television in the 80s and have done many meaningful roles.

As for Ayub Khan as Anand I prefer a more mature actor like Sachin Khedekar or Mahesh Thakur but then they are Ravi Rai regulars so may be Ayub will improve in future.
greatmaratha thumbnail
Last nights episode in India was certainly one of the best I have seen in recent times.  Pia learns that Anand still hankers for Ratna... Pia is faced with a situation in her office when her collegue blames her for taking away her boyfriend from her.....

Ravi rai has done the scene so beautifully when Pia walks up to Anand and tells him that his relationship with Ratna has effectively ended their relationship, however, with the baby on the way, they need to think before they act...

and the best was when Pia walks up to her male colleugue and tells him that his constant attraction for her, which he is open to demonstrate to the office is his problem, not hers, that she does not feel anything for him, he is nothing but her collegue and she would not permit his so called attraction for her stand in the way of her life in the office. 

Unlike the normal run of the mill married woman, this one is not scared to talk her mind and put the guy in his place.  other women have often been portrayed as going soft on the guy. but here was a girl who knew she did not like this other guy and set him right straight away instead of letting him stay in the background like some forlorn puppy....
*Shona* thumbnail
wow thanks for the update priya di....ur right,,,i like the fact that piya is strong and can stand up for herself...unlike the women that have been potrayed in Ekta's serials!😛
kshitij lover thumbnail

thanx for the info

tisha_bhatia thumbnail
Yes they are both very good. I am glad to see Kitu come back after sooo long. She has been around for a while now, but has been every selective of her roles. Any idea how old these two women are?