Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

foreverlazy thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Easter Egg Contest Prize Winner (2022) 0 Thumbnail + 9

Romance Renegades

Posted: 2 months ago

Current Read: I've talked about this on here before, but I'm finally picking up The Mindf*ck series by S.T. Abby. And since that's on ebook, I'm also reading the paperback for Final Offer by Lauren Asher. 

Just Finished:

I read a lot of books simultaneously, so I just finished re-listening to Popstar by Eden Finley. (If you have any sort of access to audiobooks and would enjoy m/m romance, I highly recommend anything in the Sadenverse, which are series that are all interconnected and written by two authors - Eden Finley and Saxon James. Truly what got me into audiobooks because they have some of the most charismatic narrators ever!)

I finished these around the same time so I'm going to count it; I re-read the Ms. Marvel comics (yes, the whole series) and I also read a couple children's books just for work-related purposes. (Off the top of my head, I read "We Are Water Protectors," "Molly's Tuxedo," "My Two Border Towns," and "A Song of Frutas.")

Minionite thumbnail

Thriller Titans

Originally posted by: LizzieBennet

smiley36

Pretty sure Moby Dick was mandatory reading for me at some point, but I don't remember much of it. The movie is fresher in my head thanks to Gregory Peck's portrayal of Captain Ahab.

It wasn't ever mandatory in our classes. The English teacher that used to make it mandatory got fired the year before I was supposed to join her class and the new one said that Moby Dick was too violent, graphic, and crude for 6th graders. smiley37

I haven't been able to read much lately but I am still reading Cancer Ward by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.

Previous read: To Kill A Mocking Bird by Harper Lee

Originally posted by: DreamOfEndless

Current reading: The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

How is it going, T? I've heard it's too graphic.

Bee222 thumbnail

Thriller Titans

My last read was The Love Hypothesis by Ali Hazelwood

Current read (more like about to start) - A Good Girl's Guide to Murder

I'm barely getting any time to read these days 😭😭

Edited by Bee222 - 2 months ago
Bee222 thumbnail

Thriller Titans

Originally posted by: DreamOfEndless

I finished reading Harry Potter and the Cursed Child a while back. (And realised it has got a major loophole in an important scene)

Current reading: The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

Thanks for the tag Tia! smiley31

How was Cursed Child btw? πŸ˜… I've only read snippets from that book and it didn't interest me enough. I might've picked it up properly again, but all the reviews have permanently scared me off smiley37

LizzieBennet thumbnail

Romance Renegades

Originally posted by: Bee222

My last read was The Love Hypothesis by Ali Hazelwood

Current read (more like about to start) - A Good Girl's Guide to Murder

How did you like TLH?

Bee222 thumbnail

Thriller Titans

It was perfect! 😍 A smart, zesty (if a little frustrated) FL combined with a cool as a cucumber ML smiley36

This author actually has a background in STEM so she captures the frustration of academia so well! So many times ppl try to make their protags smart but it feels kinda shallow bcz of the author's lack of knowledge, but here I felt like I was right along with them in the institute. It was all very relatable, but at the same time it ticked off all my boxes :

-ML who is head over heels in love with the FL (he tries his best not to show it, but to the reader it's kinda obvious smiley36)

-FL who is smart, passionate, relatable and working towards her dreams. Actually has a personality.

-ML who fully respects the FL's choices and 100% goes along with them every time

-Some loyal friends

-Some drama

-Some misunderstandings/angst that doesn't drag on and gets resolved pretty quickly

-Some good chemistry between leads πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

-Love growing through banter smiley42

-A light-hearted read overall

-Happy ending ❀️

I'm very happy with the book and I'll definitely be checking out more from the author! My only gripe is that the FL's friends could have been a little bit more... developed? Like I wish they had some more scenes, or maybe just a bigger role to play in the story. Idk. But it was a pretty short read after all, and it's been an eternityyy since I actually read a romcom... do side characters actually get too much emphasis in this genre? πŸ˜… I've totally forgotten πŸ™ˆ

LizzieBennet thumbnail

Romance Renegades

Originally posted by: Bee222

It was perfect! 😍 A smart, zesty (if a little frustrated) FL combined with a cool as a cucumber ML smiley36

This author actually has a background in STEM so she captures the frustration of academia so well! So many times ppl try to make their protags smart but it feels kinda shallow bcz of the author's lack of knowledge, but here I felt like I was right along with them in the institute. It was all very relatable, but at the same time it ticked off all my boxes :

-ML who is head over heels in love with the FL (he tries his best not to show it, but to the reader it's kinda obvious smiley36)

-FL who is smart, passionate, relatable and working towards her dreams. Actually has a personality.

-ML who fully respects the FL's choices and 100% goes along with them every time

-Some loyal friends

-Some drama

-Some misunderstandings/angst that doesn't drag on and gets resolved pretty quickly

-Some good chemistry between leads πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

-Love growing through banter smiley42

-A light-hearted read overall

-Happy ending ❀️

I'm very happy with the book and I'll definitely be checking out more from the author! My only gripe is that the FL's friends could have been a little bit more... developed? Like I wish they had some more scenes, or maybe just a bigger role to play in the story. Idk. But it was a pretty short read after all, and it's been an eternityyy since I actually read a romcom... do side characters actually get too much emphasis in this genre? πŸ˜… I've totally forgotten πŸ™ˆ

Ha ha, I remember having some peeves with it but then I read a lot of romance so I get how it could go down differently for someone who doesn't.

I have a review of it stashed away someplace on IF (I'll share if I find it) but I had the opposite thought about her friends smiley36- that they interfered too much and the heroine didn't seem to have much agency on her own. I also disliked the singular PoV. But yes, this author does have a STEM background and it was refreshing to read a lover story set in scientific academia with a lot of detail added in, so yeah. I've read one other book by her - Love, Theoretically that I may have liked slightly more than this one.

Bee222 thumbnail

Thriller Titans

Originally posted by: LizzieBennet

Ha ha, I remember having some peeves with it but then I read a lot of romance so I get how it could go down differently for someone who doesn't.

I have a review of it stashed away someplace on IF (I'll share if I find it) but I had the opposite thought about her friends smiley36- that they interfered too much and the heroine didn't seem to have much agency on her own. I also disliked the singular PoV. But yes, this author does have a STEM background and it was refreshing to read a lover story set in scientific academia with a lot of detail added in, so yeah. I've read one other book by her - Love, Theoretically that I may have liked slightly more than this one.

Yeah, I've never been much of a pure romance reader πŸ˜… kabhi kabhi when I'm in the mood for something light, I read a romcom like this, or a historical fiction maybe, just to give my mind a quick snack to feel happy about smiley36

But I love romance as a subgenre! Like a paranormal romance, fantasy romance, dystopian romance or romance thrillers... all of these are great ❀️ I really enjoy romance as a subplot smiley42smiley42

Just not as the main plot. I usually get bored with those smiley36

Which is strange bcz I really enjoy watching romcoms. They're my favourite!!! I love them with all my life smiley37

(Yes, I'm aware that my choices make no sense 90% of the time. I know. But I'm used to it now 🀣😭)

About the friends, I wasn't talking in terms of their interference actually. More like how fleshed out they were as characters. It just felt like they were there just for the sake of being there, you know? Sort of like cardboard cutout characters, doing stuff that they've been laid out to do so the blueprint can be followed out. I didn't feel any real connection with them πŸ˜… I get that they were supposed to be close friends, but there was no real moment in the book where I actually felt that bond, yk? So yeah, I just wish they had a bit more impact in the story. That's what I meant πŸ˜…

Do share your review if you find it. I read the book a couple months back so there might be stuff I've forgotten already πŸ™ˆ I just haven't had the chance to enjoy any sort of fiction lately 😭😭 Here's to hoping that changes soon πŸ₯ΊπŸ€žπŸΌ

Love Theoretically is in my TBR I think. But I'll probably read a mystery next, whenever that is. Either that or fantasy. You can give recs! smiley4

(I'm also going to College Street next week, which is my city's book market. I'm looking forward to some new books!! Yay 😍πŸ₯³)