Fan fiction that imitates the style of the original (e.g. Mahābhārata)

BrhannadaArmour thumbnail
Posted: 5 months ago

Bhaimi-Dauryodhani-dvandvam

The Duel of Bhīma's Son and Duryodhana's Son

यद् इहास्ति तद् अन्यत्र सूत-र्षि-परिकीर्तितम् ।

विषमैः सुलभा ख्यातिः समैर् अत्यन्त-दुर्गमा ॥ १

yad ih’āsti tad anyatra sūta-rṣi-parikīrtitam

viṣamaiḥ sulabhā khyātiḥ samair atyanta-durgamā

What's here is elsewhere, made famous by bards' and sages' recitation.

Easily acquired by heteros, renown for homos is extremely inaccessible.

अत्राप्य् उदाहरन्तीमम् इतिहासम् अतर्कितम् ।

भैमि-दौर्योधनि-द्वन्द्वं तुमुलं लोमहर्षणम् ॥ २

atr’āpy udāharant’īmam itihāsam atarkitam

Bhaimi-Dauryodhani-dvandvaṃ tumulaṃ loma-harṣaṇam

Even here they bring up this example, a history unexpected,

The duel of Bhīma's son and Duryodhana's son, tumultuous and body-hair-thrilling.

स्मरन्तौ व्यसनं पित्रोर् वैराय कृत-निश्चयौ ।

मैथुनं चक्रतुः प्रीत्या लक्ष्मणश् च घटोत्कचः ॥ ३

smarantau vyasanaṃ pitror vairāya kṛta-niścayau

maithunaṃ cakratuḥ prītyā Lakṣmaṇaś ca Ghaṭotkacaḥ

Both remembering their fathers' trouble, both determined upon enmity,

Both Lakṣmaṇa and Ghaṭotkaca lovingly engaged in sex.

कृत-वैवाहिकौ वीरौ रमयित्वा परस्परम् ।

ततो बभूवतुर् युद्धे भारते संगमोत्सुकौ ॥ ४

kṛta-vaivāhikau vīrau ramayitvā parasparam

tato babhūvatur yuddhe Bhārate saṃgam'otsukau

Two heroes who had pleasured each other after their wedding rituals were performed

Thereby became eager for an encounter in the Bhārata War.

रत्नेषु वज्र-भिन्नेषु सूत्रस्य गतिर् अञ्जसा ।

कन्था-कृतोऽपि नोत्साहः कथं कथयितुं कथाम् ॥ ५

ratneṣu vajra-bhinneṣu sūtrasya gatir añjasā

kanthā-kṛto’pi n’otsāhaḥ kathaṃ kathayituṃ kathām

In jewels bored by a diamond, the thread's path is direct.

How would even a patchwork-maker not be eager to narrate a story?

I just published a fan fiction on Mahābhārata that begins with these Saṃskṛta śloka verses that serve as a trigger warning. Whoever wants to read the full story may join the Saṃskṛta Text Discussion forum and then access the story.

In this topic, we can discuss the challenges of writing fan fiction that imitates the style of the original. For example, my story imitates the Saṃskṛta vocabulary and rhythm of Mahābhārata, the tendency of Mahābhārata characters to argue ethics and cite precedents, and the elaborate patronymic, matronymic, familial, and dynastic epithets by which Mahābhārata characters address or refer to each other.

Stories within Mahābhārata often begin with the phrase atr’āpy udāharant’īmam itihāsaṃ purātanam, so I parodied the phrase, changing purātanam = from an earlier time to atarkitam = unexpected to introduce my story. The adjectives tumulaṃ loma-harṣaṇam = tumultuous and body-hair-thrilling are standard for battles in Mahābhārata, so I used them for a metaphorical battle. Mahābhārata famously claims, yad ih'āsti tad anyatra yan n'eh'āsti na tat kva cit = what's here is elsewhere and what's not here is nowhere, so I used it as a springboard for an LGBTQ+ story.

What style of the original have you imitated in your fan fiction?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

SilverBell thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5

Hi Iam Not A Fan Fiction  Writer Just Reader.

I Like Reading Fan Fiction Stories.

MochaQueen thumbnail

Sorry but I didn't understand 80% of what you just wrotesmiley36

BrhannadaArmour thumbnail

MochaQueen, what you didn't understand is just a prologue or a trigger warning. You haven't read the 3,500+ words of my story itself.

Mahābhārata is a Saṃskṛta narrative over 2,000 years old, almost entirely written in verses, full of duels, battles, and the eighteen-day Bhārata War that ends with Bhīma slaying Duryodhana. There's a folk story about the marriage of Duryodhana's son, Lakṣmaṇa, where Bhīma's son Ghaṭotkaca disguised himself as a crazy trader advertising "New clothes for old!" and Lakṣmaṇa's wedding party took the deal. Then Ghaṭotkaca flew in and out of the bride's bedroom window, carrying her on her bed to his cousin Abhimanyu, whom she loved, and Ghaṭotkaca magically transformed himself to look like the bride. During the wedding ceremony's hand-holding ritual, Ghaṭotkaca squeezed Lakṣmaṇa's hand so hard that Lakṣmaṇa fainted. Then Ghaṭotkaca flew away, and the magical new clothes disappeared so that everyone was left naked.

My fan fiction is about what Ghaṭotkaca did with Lakṣmaṇa between the hand-squeezing and the fainting. I had this idea just over two years ago, and I put it in the mouth of a character in another fan fiction, but it took me until now to finish writing the story.

https://www.indiaforums.com/fanfiction/chapter/21624

In your own writing, have you ever tried to imitate the language, ethical values, or manners of a historical or mythical setting?

SilverBell, I tagged you because you had asked the question, "What other story should be made into a mythology?" With this fan fiction, I've used a mythological style to add a myth to Mahābhārata.