Celebrating the centennial of a beloved Hindi lyricist - Shailendra

LizzieBennet thumbnail
Posted: 8 months ago

Back in the day, I remember weekday mornings and afternoons tuning into Vividh Bharati's classic radio. I remember the RJ announcing names such as Hasrat Jaipuri, Sahir Ludhianvi, Majrooh Sultanpuri, Shakeel Badayuni, Qamar Jalalabadi along with the more famous names of the singers and music directors during the song credits.

I must shamefully confess I did not pay much attention to the contribution of the lyricists to the song. The song, to me, would be a Lata or a Rafi or a Kishore or a Mannada song or perhaps even an OPN or SDB or Naushad song, but rarely ever did I remember a song as being solely that of the lyricist.

It was only much later, when I began to pay attention to the lyrics of a song - more in a bid to memorize it for Antakshari or Karaoke nights or whatever  - did the more memorable and poignant verses stay with me and I actually made an effort to look up who the lyricist might be. And eventually grew to recognize these poets by their poetry. (I can make a fairly good guess on the Golden Era lyricists now based on their writing styles!)

Our friend, Mousy reminded me that it was one of our most well-known and loved poets, Shailendra's birth centennial on Aug 30, 2023 and I thought it deserved a thread of its own, since we've had many threads commemorating actors, singers or even Music directors but there haven't been (at least to my knowledge) any threads on lyricists. 

And to begin such a tribute with one for Shailendra, to my mind, would be nothing less than the perfect remedial measure for this oversight. Because if there ever was a people's poet, it was Shailendra. It stunned me to discover how many of the lyrics I liked and sung along to were written by him!

The simplicity of his lyrics, his ability to write about situations and make them relatable to the common man is what set him apart. His lyrics may not have been bombastic, or steeped in rich Urdu vocabulary or even tried to convey meanings or emotions with complex metaphors. But he was able to create a magical imagery that simply tugged at your heartstrings with simple, everyday words. 

Born Shankardas Kesarilal in Rawalpindi on Aug 30, 1923, he moved to Mathura where he spent his school days and began dabbling in poetry. He got a job in Bombay as a technician in Indian Railways and while there joined IPTA (Indian People's Theatre Association) where he began writing and presenting politically themed poetry (he was a communist). 

Raj Kapoor, who was present at his rendition of Jalta hai Punjab (his take on the horrors of partition), was impressed and offered to buy his poem to use in his directorial venture, Aag. He was taken aback when Shailendra flatly refused, stating firmly that his poetry was not for sale. However, RK left an open offer for Shailendra to come work for him anytime. 

As fate would have it, Shailendra soon had a personal crisis (his wife fell ill) and was in need of the extra cash, so he went up to Raj Kapoor who was finalizing his team for Barsaat and already had a lyricist on board, Hasrat Jaipuri. But keeping his promise to Shailendra and recognizing his dire need, he offered him two songs, Patli Kamar hai and the title track, Barsaat mein. The rest, of course, was history. 

The phenomenal success of Barsaat not only just established RK as a star producer and director but was also responsible for launching the careers of Mukesh, Shankar-Jaikishen and Shailendra, all of whom formed a formidable team - one that remained almost unbroken until Shailendra's death in 1966.

He also collaborated with other famed music directors of that time including Salil Chowdhary, whom he knew from his IPTA days and S.D. Burman among others.

His poetry was relatable because of his ability to feel empathy for the protagonists' pain - brought about by his own difficult and penurious childhood. Besides this, there was always a subtext of social justice underlining his songs.

In 1963, Shailendra was drawn to the novella, Mare gaye Gulfam by Phaniswar Nath Renu and decided to produce a movie, Teesri Kasam based on it. He managed to rope in his friend, Raj Kapoor to play the lead with almost no pay (his signing amount was Rs. 1) and got another friend, Basu Bhattacharya to direct. Waheeda Rehman charged him nothing. It was his baby and he was crushed. emotionally and financially, by its commercial failure. It later went on to receive critical acclaim but it was too late for Shailendra to witness its success. He died in 1966.

In tribute to this illustrious poet, I'm listing a few of my favorite Shailendra songs, with emphasis on the lines that strike me the most from them (if I do have a favorite line). I hope you all will do the same in celebration of his centennial.

Just like he himself said...

Ke marke bhi kisiko yaad aayenge

Kisike aansooon mein muskurayenge

Edited by LizzieBennet - 8 months ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

LizzieBennet thumbnail

1. Kisiki muskurahaton pe

Film: Anari (1959)

Music; Shankar-Jaikishen

The lines that stand out to me? The lines I wrote in the tribute post are the most poignant for me but the mukhda captures the essence of it to a T

Kisiki muskurahaton pe ho nisaar

Kisika dard mil sake toh le udhaar

Kisike waste ho tere dil mein pyaar

Jeena isi ka naam hai

Such a simple truth about humanity and humaneness, right? We may run after fame and success and money but in the end, life is all about loving someone, sharing someone's pain, deriving joy from someone's happiness... just beautiful!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69pPYkGiEAQ

LizzieBennet thumbnail

2. Suhana Safar

Film: Madhumati (1958)

Music: Salil Chowdhary

This song, imo, is one of the most beautifully descriptive songs on nature that I've ever come across.

Ye kaun hansta hai phoolon mein chhupkar

bahar bechain hai kiske dhun par

Ye gori nadiyon ka chalna uchhalkar

ke jaise alhad chale pi se milkar 

woh aasmaan jhuk raha hai zameen par

ye milan humne dekha yahi par! 

Gorgeous! Summons up the imagery like no other!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSU74fpWsfQ

LizzieBennet thumbnail

Song: Wahan kaun hai tera

Film: Guide (1965)

Music: S.D. Burman

Again, this entire song is phenomenal - the music, the words, the singing, everything! It has my heart. 

But these words especially stand out... it showcases the fleeting nature of life and existence to perfection!

Kehte hain gyaani

duniya hai faani

paani pe likhi likhayi

hai sabki dekhi

hai sabki jaani

haath kisike na aayi

Kuchh tera na mera

musafir jayega kahan?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haO0ucjvxeo

LizzieBennet thumbnail

Song: ZIndagi khwab hai

Film: Jaagte raho (1956)

Music: Salil Chowdhary

Shailendra could write fun lyrics too. This one is a perfect example, it depicts the virtues of a hedonistic  existence .. that can actually be quite simple, should you choose to live life that way.. without a care in the world!

dil ne humse jo kaha, humne waise hee kiya

phir kabhi fursat se sochenge, bura tha ya bhala! 

And then how 'sharaab' is the panacea for all ailments .. it can bring even an inanimate object (a stone) to life!

ek katra mai ka jab, patthar ke hoton par pada

uske seene mein bhi dil dhadka, ye usne bhi kaha. 

And the clincher ⭐️

Ek pyaali bhar ke maine gham ke maare dil ko di 

Zeher ne maara zeher ko, murde mein bhi jan aa gayi!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQZaG5SZRYk

LizzieBennet thumbnail

Song: Sajan re jhoot mat bolo

Film: Teesri Kasam (1966)

Music: Shankar-Jaikishen

Every song in this movie is worth its weight in gold, but if we're talking about telling simple truths that are profound, I think this song is apt. Quintessential Shailendra! ⭐️

Tumhare mehel-chaubare, yahin reh jayenge saare

akad kis baat ki pyaare? ye sar phir bhi jhukana hai

sajan re jhoot mat bolo, khuda ke paas jaana hai

na haathi hai na ghoda hai, wahan paidal hee jaana hai

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR9ShQEdcgg

LizzieBennet thumbnail

Song: Dil ka haal sune dilwala

Film: Shree 420 (1955)

Music: Shankar-Jaikishen

This song proved that Shailendra could be every bit as sarcastic as Sahir Ludhianvi but his pen was less cynical and more infused with a gentle, self-deprecating humour.

Boodhe daroge ne chashme se dekha

aage se peeche se dekha

upar se dekha neeche se dekha

bola ye kya kar baithe ghotala

ye toh hai thanedaar ka saala! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBlBBJWBSQw

LizzieBennet thumbnail

Song: Apni toh har aah ek toofan hai

Film: Kala Bazaar (1960)

I love the double entendre in this and how cleverly Shailendra weaves the lyrics to befit the situation.. This song is an absolute delight to watch! The confusion that Waheeda and her parents are in wondering if he's referring to the 'Uparwala' (The Almighty) or the literal 'uparwala' (Waheeda) who's occupying the top berth! 😆 

sar pe mere tu jo apna haath hee rakh de

phir toh bhatke raahi ko mil jayenge raste 

dil ki basti bin tere viraan hai

uparwala jaankar anjaan hai

apni toh har aah ek toofan hai! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLXbd0yA808

LizzieBennet thumbnail

Song: Ab ke baras bhejo 

Film: Bandini (1963)

This song speaks of the yearning of family, of a lost childhood, of friends and relationships and the grief of a (married) woman on finding herself alienated from all things familiar. These lines in particular I find so heartbreaking 😭

Bairan jawani ne cheene khilaune 

aur meri gudiya churaai

Baabul thi main tere naazon ki paali 

phir kyon hui main paraai?

Beete re jug koi chithiya na paati 

Na koi naihar se aaye re 

https://youtu.be/Uu5O_f4S7rk?feature=shared

LizzieBennet thumbnail

Song: Jhoomti chali hawa

Film: Sangeet Samrat Tansen (1962)

Music: S.N. Tripathi

This composition in raag Sohoni beautifully rendered by Mukesh captures the mood and the pain of the protagonist effectively but Shailendra’s lyrics give it the definition and tell us just deep the pain is and how it’s affected him.

I kept saying his lyrics are simple but look at this:

Ek huk se uthi, main sihar ke reh gaya

Dil ko apna thaam ke, aah bhar ke reh gaya 

Chandni ki ot se muskura gaya koi…. 

I reeled when I first heard ‘huk’ and ‘sihar’ and ‘ot ’ thinking Mukesh was mispronouncing some easier word . Then I had to look up their meaning (huk = intense pain, sihar = tolerance or fortitude, ot = protection) 

Make no mistake, just because he was simple didn’t mean he wasn’t capable of writing complex stuff! 

https://youtu.be/aXX-84r5Eg4?feature=shared