Meri Awaaz Suno ||Mohammed Rafi AT||

LizzieBennet thumbnail
Posted: 11 months ago

I've been an admirer of Rafi's voice for as long as I can remember and hence thought of creating this AT for him.

Feel free to share your favorite Rafi songs - film & non-film, solos, duets, group songs, any genre, any language & share tributes/ trivia/ anecdotes on his life.

Let's celebrate this wonderful artist! 

Please follow Forum Guidelines and AT Rules while posting here.

Edited by LizzieBennet - 11 months ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

LizzieBennet thumbnail

Reproducing here my write-up on him on the occasion of his death anniversary.

How do I begin writing about this accomplished yet humble and down-to-earth man?

I have always prided myself on being objective about music. Well, music is an art form so the appreciation of it cannot be wholly objective. An element of opinion and subjectivity is bound to creep in like with any other art form. Still, within the confines of subjectivity (in this case, my love for classic Hindi songs), I claimed to be objective. I like songs for the composition, the lyrics, the singing, the melody, the artistry involved in making them and not just because of who sang it or wrote it. I would claim to be unbiased in not having favorite artistes, only favorite pieces of work. 

But deep down, I'd be lying. Because if you held me at gunpoint and asked me who my favorite singer from yesteryears was, I'd say Rafi without blinking an eyelid. Come to think of it, you wouldn't even have to hold me at gunpoint - I'd readily admit it. 

And I've tried to reason out this bias time and time again telling myself it's because of my dad's obsession with Rafi and the fact that my earliest memory of classic Hindi songs was 'Baiju Bawra' and this man's exemplary singing and his ability to move me to tears. And then I told myself it was the fact that he had sung for some of my favorite heroes from those times - Dev Anand, Shammi Kapoor, Dilip Kumar, Guru Dutt. Perhaps it was even that most composers in those times have had Rafi singing for them, he was astoundingly prolific and was usually the voice of the hero, sometimes the comedian, sometimes even the villain or even a non-descript actor on screen. Or perhaps it was the fact that most of my favorite songs from those times were sung by him. Perhaps it was that listening to him evoked some kind of nostalgia; it felt like coming home to a dear, familiar friend.

Whatever the reason, the bottom-line was that I loved Rafi - the singer simply because I loved him. And there I had to let go of my futile claims of being objective. I love Rafi and that is that - no explanation needed.

Known to be always affable and cheery, Rafi Saab, as he was fondly known, has never been spoken of in a negative light by any of the people he’s worked with. And I have rarely come across a picture of Rafi saab where he's not wearing a wide smile.

The people he worked with have spoken paeans about how humble, god-fearing, generous and respectful a man he was. He is known to have worked with struggling producers for free, sometimes charging paltry sums for singing. His peers like Mukesh, Mannadey and Mahindra Kapoor have spoken of him in hallowed terms, openly admitting that they couldn't do what Rafi could. Even Lata Mangeshkar, with whom he had a tiff on the royalty issue resulting in the two refusing to work with each other for a few years, has called him 'sant aadmi' and 'devta' on many occasions. Asha Bhosle has spoken of his terrific and enviable range, that could scale octaves with consummate ease. O.P. Nayyar spoke of how good a man Rafi was, and regretted his disagreement with him on account of showing up late for a recording, due to which he didn't work with the singer for a while. 

Naushad, L-P, S-J, S.D.B (until the late 60s) swore by him, Shammi Kapoor called him 'his voice', and Johnny Walker said, "Jab Rafi saab mere liye gaate the toh lagta tha main gaa raha hoon." This was what made him unique. He could mould his voice to suit the actor's persona on screen. When I would hear a Rafi song on the radio, I would instinctively know who it was picturized on without ever having watched the visual of the song.  

Kishore Kumar, who took playback singing by storm in the late 60s when Rafi had taken a backseat, had nothing but the deepest respect for Rafi. There have been stories of how Kishoreda sat heartbroken and inconsolable at the side of Rafi's lifeless body. His death was a shock to the entire nation; he was only 55. It was July in Bombay, the middle of the monsoon, but fans came pouring out in droves bearing the torrential rains to pay their last respects to this man and his glorious musical legacy. It was almost as if the heavens themselves were weeping. In his first live show after Rafi's death, Kishoreda began with a tribute to his 'dear friend' Rafi with a rendition of 'Mann re tu kahe na dheer dhare."

Naushad, who gave Rafi his first big break in Pehle Aap famously said of him: 

"Goonjti hai teri awaaz ameeron ke mehel mein

Jhopdon ki gareebon mein bhi hai tere saaz

Yoon toh apne mausiki par sabka fakr hota hai

Magar, ae mere saathi, mausiki ko bhi aaj tujh par naaz hai"

Naushad's son tells of an anecdote when his father was asked if he had to compose the greatest song of his life, what raag would he choose and Naushad replied never mind the raag, he would just invoke the Gods to send back Rafi miyan for an hour.

Dharmendra has claimed Rafi as his favorite playback singer, Jeetendra spoke of how he returned the money he owed him for a song because it was more than what was agreed upon, Amitabh Bachchan spoke of how he generously stepped in for a live show when another singer failed to show up. Manmohan Desai had once said, "If anyone has the voice of God, it's Mohammed Rafi."

Rafi himself felt he was going against his religion by pursuing his singing career when someone told him thus, and being a deeply God-fearing person, he stopped singing for a while, moving to London to be with his kids. It took Naushad and a few others to convince him that his singing was a gift from God.

How can anyone deny the sublime exquisiteness of his rich, mellifluous tones? I read it mentioned somewhere in a tribute to Rafi: 'If there are 101 ways to say 'I love you' in a song, Rafi knew them all!'
And look at the man's repertoire! Not just romantic songs, but every kind of song - Bhajans, ghazals, qawwalis, patriotic songs, rock and roll numbers, philosophical songs, comic songs, songs of intoxication (even though the man himself was a teetotaler) - he has sung every type of song there is!

Born in Kotla in Punjab, he moved to Lahore and trained under Ustad Bade Ghulam Ali Khan. He was first noticed during a live show that Saigal was supposed to do. The electricity went off and the microphones failed, and the legendary singer refused to sing. The crowd was getting restless and 13-year-old Rafi was called upon to entertain them. And he did. Composer Shyam Sunder was in the audience and was so impressed that he gave Rafi his first break for a Punjabi film, Gul Baloch. Rafi idolized Saigal, so it was only fitting that his first claim to fame indirectly came through his idol. Later, Naushad gave Rafi a chance to sing alongside Saigal in the film Shahjahan with the song: "Roohi roohi meri sapnon ki rani."

His formidable legacy lives on, people still listen to his songs 6 decades later, such is the youthful exuberance in his voice, such is the power of its endurance. And knowing this fact wherever he is, I think, would be the truest and the highest of awards for this genteel, unassuming gentleman.

Ashley.Tisdale thumbnail
Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 7

One of the most down to Earth music composers talking about meeting the humble Rafi sahab since their childhood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRYxbMtNQ18

Viswasruti thumbnail

Excellent write-up Lizzie❤️ Wonderful thread. 

Thousands of unforgettable songs of Mohammad Rafi, sung in an unmatched mellifluous voice, have created a unique world of Melody and Music, which has become a pious abode for millions of his fans and music lovers alike. This world has no geographical boundaries; music is its religion and credo: Rafi is its presiding deity and the vast number of his fans are his ardent devotees.

Shammi Kapoor said without Rafiji he is incomplete. What a tribute to the great Rafi! 

Let us share some of his captivating intoxicating numbers, his heartwarming sad numbers, his lively and peppy numbers, and his evergreen romantic numbers here in this well prepare thread. ❤️

For reasons that we don't know, one stanza of this Rafi_Majrooh-Usha Khanna classic was removed from its film, Dil Deke Dekho (1959) years after its release! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqVVa4UFjGA

LizzieBennet thumbnail

Originally posted by: Viswasruti

Thousands of unforgettable songs of Mohammad Rafi, sung in an unmatched mellifluous voice, have created a unique world of Melody and Music, which has become a pious abode for millions of his fans and music lovers alike. This world has no geographical boundaries; music is its religion and credo: Rafi is its presiding deity and the vast number of his fans are his ardent devotees.

Shammi Kapoor said without Rafiji he is incomplete. What a tribute to the great Rafi! 

Let us share some of his captivating intoxicating numbers, his heartwarming sad numbers, his lively and peppy numbers, and his evergreen romantic numbers here in this well prepare thread. ❤️

For reasons that we don't know, one stanza of this Rafi_Majrooh-Usha Khanna classic was removed from its film, Dil Deke Dekho (1959) years after its release! 

I love this song . How Rafi's voice caresses and seduces! Asha Parekh stands no chance against the double assault - Rafi's voice & Shammi!  😆

Thanks for posting this one, Madhu & for sharing that bit of trivia. I had no idea that one stanza was removed! 

Viswasruti thumbnail

Come again Madam!😛 who stands no chance against the double assault - Rafi's voice & Shammi, is it Asha or our own Lizzie??!!!  smiley36

LizzieBennet thumbnail

Come again Madam!😛 who stands no chance against the double assault - Rafi's voice & Shammi, is it Asha or our own Lizzie??!!!  smiley36

Ha ha, you caught me there Madhu ☺️, you know me so well 😆

Here's another Rafi-Shammi song I love

https://youtu.be/m6xevUfqhTU

Song: Jawaniyan ye mast mast bin piye

FIlm: Tumsa nahi dekha  (1957)

Music: O.P. Nayyar

Lyrics: Majrooh Sultanpuri

Edited by LizzieBennet - 11 months ago
NerdyMukta thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5

Voice of Rafi and charm of Dev Anand...another lethal combination like Shammi-Rafi.

https://youtu.be/KgezoiBPgWI

Movie - Tere ghar ke samne

Music - S.D. Burman 

https://youtu.be/OaginwwacJI

Movie - Teen deviyan

Music - S.D. Burman

Edited by NerdyMukta - 11 months ago
NerdyMukta thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5

This song is like butter...like jello...just slides through ones ears into the subconscious mind and soothes the mind and soul.

Edited by NerdyMukta - 11 months ago
LizzieBennet thumbnail

Originally posted by: NerdyMukta

Voice of Rafi and charm of Dev Anand...another lethal combination like Shammi-Rafi.

I agree! I have always maintained that Rafi’s voice suited Dev the best though he’s had many playing back for him. Rafi could sound youthful, exuberant and charming- just like Dev’s onscreen persona. Here’s another Rafi-Dev classic, a song for all ages- evergreen and embodying within it a philosophy that we could all use. 

Song: Main zindagi ka saath   

Film: Hum Dono (1962) 

Music: Jaidev

Lyrics: Sahir Ludhianvi

https://youtu.be/_l7UvpgK-Xc