Kundali Bhagya

Why the leap isnt working

Poche thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 months ago

Here is what I think as a viewer of this show since many years.

Last year or more, the show has been all over the place with respect to story and character arcs.

Leads degenerated instead of growing. Basically, the writer in writing and executing tracks poorly, or over glorifying Prithvi and other vamps - dumbed down the leads. I suspect that was the reason Dheeraj quit in the first place. Low screen space and nothing substantial to do for a while. Instead of retaining him anyhow, they let him go and the writer just introduced a new guy. Arrogance of the writer. Starting tracks well but poor in execution, mid way the villains would take limelight and just ruin every track.

Marriage of Rishabh and Preeta just killed the show. If you ask me it never recovered post that. The manner it was done. Did not give audience any time to let things sink in. It was basically like a plot device to Arjun Survanshi. Then that whole track fizzled out with the terrible way they made Preeta divorce him and get back to Arjun/Karan. bad bad writing.

Why so much backstory? Because, the premise of the leap, the building up was already faltering. It just shows that things were not planned at all. If it was, we would have had twins instead of Kavya at the start of the five year leap. If it was planned, we would be seeing Kavya's story instead of the twins!! Its as simple as that.

Then the leap comes and before that past one year, and last one month they put in so much negativity into the story line that all the characters got destroyed. The Luthra family has become unlikeable and no matter what they do or attempt to whitewash them, audience will never like them. The story development was so bad and haphazard that they also butchered all the characters of the Luthra Family and made things so negative that so now, no audience likes any of them. They appear so phony. How for the love of god did they expect to build a new story on such a foundation and more negativity? Way to go!!

Karan Preeta separation would have worked. But he is married or not married to Nidhi? Supposedly he is - 20 years is a long time. But writers still trying to play both sides, play it safe, either show him married and just kill your past story of five years or not married and make Nidhi the rich industralist successfful woman look like a dimwit wasting her life for a guy who deosnt even look like her original Arjun anymore!!

On top that, you got Karan thats not only changed physically but this whole angle to Preeta hating and sensing her after 20 years doesnt make sense. The guy playing Karan now just doesnt look the part and i dont think he has got into the character of Karan. He just adds to the viewers woes. Its telling when audience is saying, they should have just killed Karan instead. YES!! that would have given some respectability to your own story!! Then justice for Preeta would have made sense. Shaurya being spoilt by Kareena would have made more sense than Nidhi!!

Once you take a leap, why not just go for a new story? Let the newbies take charge and let them succeed or fail, didn't this new lot do it on their own five years ago? Didnt most shows do it before? In trying to ease them in they totally destroyed Karan Preeta story. Its not relatable anymore, it doenst make sense anymore. The bad replacement just makes it worse. As a viewer, I am shocked to see how badly they destroyed a much loved pair.

Tell me why any audience would invest in their new pair after seeing what has been done to Karan and Preeta?

Which brings me to the last part, why for the love of god are they repeating their own story? Is the creativity so bad and writing gone off rails or have they zero confidence in weaving a new story!!??

Edited by Poche - 11 months ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

king99 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Very good post!!  I agree with everything you said.  So true they fumbled such a good show with previous cast.  Both Dheeraj and Shakti did full justice to the roles.  Rishab is missing and never given full justice at all.   Kavya and Preeta were all solid in their roles.  

The new cast is just bland and boring.  Bad casting all around with the leap for twins and the other cast.  Can't connect with them nor the new Karan.

I don't think KB will survive too long as its TRP are failing.  

Can the creatives rethink this leap and pretend it was a big dream?   Can they go back to the point when Arjun proposed to Preeta?   They could have an excellent triangle of Rishab, Arjun and Preeta.  Rishab could have been jealous and fight for this love for Preeta and not divorce her.  

If only, come on EK anything is possible for you do.  Drop this leap....

Poche thumbnail

You know now that you mention it, I had read a tweet long way back speculating that the five year leap was Karan's coma dream. It actually sounded possible but with a 20 year leap, it would be a stretch. I don't think they are willing to even accept the mistakes they have made with this leap story and casting. Its still not late to fix this generation but they seem very adamant, just like with Karan's replacement. The falling ratings, be it offline TRP or online doesn't seem to matter to them much. The new actors will need time to settle in and develop a bond with the audience but hopefully the ratings are decent enough to give them that cushion.

Even now reading tweets where the new gen kids / leads are already fighting over who the lead is and what not. Where is the story? Its just rehashing KKB and KDB first gen - I truly wonder how the channel approves the content. Esp. considering this was their number one rated show, you would think more effort would go to make it work. Clearly people still like it reading all the comments, feedback but audience is walking away.

Either way, its a pity like you said, they had a really good cast, great leads, and sort of just blew that up badly.

Originally posted by: king99

Very good post!!  I agree with everything you said.  So true they fumbled such a good show with previous cast.  Both Dheeraj and Shakti did full justice to the roles.  Rishab is missing and never given full justice at all.   Kavya and Preeta were all solid in their roles.  

The new cast is just bland and boring.  Bad casting all around with the leap for twins and the other cast.  Can't connect with them nor the new Karan.

I don't think KB will survive too long as its TRP are failing.  

Can the creatives rethink this leap and pretend it was a big dream?   Can they go back to the point when Arjun proposed to Preeta?   They could have an excellent triangle of Rishab, Arjun and Preeta.  Rishab could have been jealous and fight for this love for Preeta and not divorce her.  

If only, come on EK anything is possible for you do.  Drop this leap....

Bacillusbadius thumbnail

Though the story is bit slow

Loving Rajveer and Palki

No comments on monotonous behaviour of Shaurya

I know they will drag but hope PreeRan face off happens soon

Palki's mother and sister

PreetNaLaagi thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

Agreed with reading all the points mentioned here. One major drawback of the leap is the connect with audience is lagging. Generally in Generation leap there should be a connection between the new kids and the previous generation leap but Rajveer and Shaurya feel highly disconnected with Preeta and Karan because they were brought in at 11th hour and soon after they are directly shown grown up without establishing their bond with Leads and other characters. It would have been much better if Kavya was taken up as the main lead post generation leap at least she had a connect with the previous leads. 

jasminerahul thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 8

It happened with kkb also.instead of kaira twins were brought as leads post leap.but it worked.but maybe if kkb leap was introduced now it wouldnt have worked as the channel is sinking now.zee as a channel itself is not in a good condition.but compared to other shows on zee,kdb is still a successful show on tv.

Originally posted by: PreetNaLaagi

Agreed with reading all the points mentioned here. One major drawback of the leap is the connect with audience is lagging. Generally in Generation leap there should be a connection between the new kids and the previous generation leap but Rajveer and Shaurya feel highly disconnected with Preeta and Karan because they were brought in at 11th hour and soon after they are directly shown grown up without establishing their bond with Leads and other characters. It would have been much better if Kavya was taken up as the main lead post generation leap at least she had a connect with the previous leads. 

Poche thumbnail
Originally posted by: PreetNaLaagi

Kavya as lead would have drawn more viewers but they seem so fixated with this triangle thing. Anywyas, the show is weird now. Depends on whether the new characters are successful in attracting new viewers. Doesnt help that Karan has made people quit the show. Curious to see this week's ratings.

I watched some clips recently and whats up with the actress playing Nidhi? why does she always look so dazed. I dont know how many would agree but I feel the OG cast had much more stronger screen presence - Shristi, Rishabh, Preeta, Karan and even Sammy. This new lot has a lot of work to do

pfalcon1949 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

One simple question. What exactly is the meaning of "not working? Do you mean to say the TRP is not going up or down by huge amounts? TRP around 1.5 appears to be norm these days for most shows anyway. Gone are the days of TRP 3 to 4! KB and KDB both used to be in that range. Anupama was even 4 but these days I do not think any show has such lofty TRP. Our shows KB and KDB both are still in the top 10 or 20. So I think whatever they are doing working only. Otherwise these would have gone off air already. Do you really expect the TRP to go up from 1.5 to 2.5 or higher overnight? 

Edited by pfalcon1949 - 11 months ago
jasminerahul thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 8

right.It's still one of the top shows of zee.

Originally posted by: pfalcon1949

I simple question. What exactly is the meaning of "not working? Do you mean to say the TRP is not going up or down by huge amounts? TRP around 1.5 appears to be norm these days for most shows anyway. Gone are the days of TRP 3 to 4! KB and KDB both used to be in that range. Anupama was even 4 but these days I do not think any show has such lofty TRP. Our shows KB and KDB both are still in the top 10 or 20. So I think whatever they are doing working only. Otherwise these would have gone off air already. Do you really expect the TRP to go up from 1.5 to 2.5 or higher overnight? 

Poche thumbnail

Hi, I think it comes down to execution basically not so much context. We can argue that most shows have on avg 1-1.5 ratings these days but Star Plus also has shows giving 2+ consistently. I do not think the lower figures are yardstick. Yes they may indicate a general trend these days but it could be a reflection of so many things. Bad story-line, waning interests etc. I agree KDB is still amongst the channel's highest rated shows but that doesn't necessarily mean its good. Why I said, the leap isn't working - part of it was also the need for a topic title [lol] I digress but the point was to convey my thoughts as a regular viewer who has seen the first generation. I know that makes me biased in many ways given how I compare now and then but they are not helping themselves by lazy execution and half baked story line. The sequences, characters seem a copy of the first generation - my question was why couldn't it be a different scenario? For example, would it not have worked (with a different story-line) if Palki also belonged to a relatively well off family? But her arc is so similar to Preeta's!!

For me, it fails majorly in connection with respect to the Luthra family which has been reduced to a pale unlikable shadow of itself. The whole part of Nidhi with them, handing over that kid to them, snatching him away from Preeta, Shristi taking away her sister for 20 years away from the family - that backstory isn't convincing enough.

Then there is the curious case of Karan Luthra and his changing faces. Its not just the actor but the fact that Karan has a new face, a new personality as a viewer its very hard to connect with him as Preeta's Karan. Heck, as a KP fan I had more connect to watch that scene between Rishabh and Preeta when he thinks he saw her or that phone call. That anticipation is there because we can relate the past story with them. I firmly believe this whole fiasco with new Karan has been a big setback for them. Audience is still on the fringe and interested in Preeta's sad life tale and hasn't moved on completely as suggested by the mid range TRP - how they shape the show from now will tell where it will end up eventually. But its also a fact that when it comes to Preeta - this Karan irks them.

Despite everything, I think the show still has potential because the new generation is not bad but they need to give them a fair chance, a solid story line that helps them make their own niche and it can start by not getting constantly compared to the previous generation. At least give them their own scenes.

Biggest indicator of not working is when you drive away your core loyal viewers with each successive leap. If the leap and the subsequent story line was engaging enough the audience who was so invested in the story of the protagonists would have stayed back. The fact that KDB has lost viewers indicates that something isnt working.

That ended up being a long reply.

Originally posted by: pfalcon1949

I simple question. What exactly is the meaning of "not working? Do you mean to say the TRP is not going up or down by huge amounts? TRP around 1.5 appears to be norm these days for most shows anyway. Gone are the days of TRP 3 to 4! KB and KDB both used to be in that range. Anupama was even 4 but these days I do not think any show has such lofty TRP. Our shows KB and KDB both are still in the top 10 or 20. So I think whatever they are doing working only. Otherwise these would have gone off air already. Do you really expect the TRP to go up from 1.5 to 2.5 or higher overnight?