Deltablues thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 1 years ago

Many of you probably won't believe me but I used to watch this show in the beginning and loved Sairat.

So I am not a new fan or whatever petty feelings that second MLs' fans trigger in older fans across fandoms. I don't even care about Saiya as such.

But I have an issue when people percieve the only issue with Virat is his spinelessness regarding Pakhi.

As if divorcing Pakhi would absolve him of his crimes.

Now, this show has always normalised, amongst other things, casteism and violence against women. Bhavani forcefully incapacitating Devi just because she had a boyfriend should have raised the audience's heckles long back but I think the fantasy of controlling their daughters somewhere subconsciously resonates with the audience.

Nevertheless, Virat grew up internalising this violence on women in order to control them 

But why the hell is the online, supposedly modern, digital-age audience okay with it?

Misusing his position to stalk his ex, threatening a civilian with physical violence are cases of a) p*lìcè brutality b) sexual abuse. Both of which are not flaws but crimes.

Confining a human being (not in jest but in full-blown psycho anger) is a violation of human rights. (Big words for an itv show, I know.)

These are crimes mediated by actual malice. To think that some people still root for Sairat let alone the fact that people deem that the makers should get away with showing them as eternal lovers is devastating to me.

What they are showing is a lot of things but love is not this.

Edited by Deltablues - 1 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

janecastle thumbnail

Online audience always bash trp aunties for encouraging regressive content. But truth is, some online fans are worse than trp audience. They support the most heinous stuff done by ML in the name of angst, intense chemistry and hotness. Virat Chavan is a criminal and deserves to be jail. Same with his family. 

ShipIsSailing thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: Deltablues

Many of you probably won't believe me but I used to watch this show in the beginning and loved Sairat.

So I am not a new fan or whatever petty feelings that second MLs' fans trigger in older fans across fandoms. I don't even care about Saiya as such.

But I have an issue when people percieve the only issue with Virat is his spinelessness regarding Pakhi.

Now, this show has always normalised, amongst other things, casteism and violence against women. Bhavani forcefully incapacitating Devi just because she had a boyfriend should have raised the audience's heckles long back but I think the fantasy of controlling their daughters somewhere subconsciously with the audience.

Nevertheless, Virat grew up internalising this violence on women in order to control them 

But why the hell is the online, supposedly modern, digital-age audience okay with it?

Misusing his position to stalk his ex, threatening a civilian with physical violence are cases of a) p*lìcè brutality b) sexual abuse. Both of which are not flaws but crimes.

Comfining a human being (not in jest but in full-blown psycho anger) is a violation of human rights. (Big words for an itv show, I know.)

These are crimes mediated by actual malice. To think that some people still root for Sairat let alone the fact that people deem that the makers should get away with showing them as eternal lovers is devastating to me.

The reason there is anyone who still ship SaiRat is either because they were too attached to the main couple that even now they can't seem to let go, or, because they are watching the show solely for drama, and don't really care whether or not these things are okay in real life, and I, personally, don't really find anything wrong with that as long as they understand that this type of behaviour is unacceptable in real life. 

I am not talking about defending Virat's character. Defending his behaviour, and saying that none of it is his fault is wrong, because that, in some aspect, says that they believe that such actions are alright in real life too if the person has a past like Virat. 

But as I have said before, this show is just for entertainment. This isn't the first time when such awful and abusive behaviour is shown on television, and I am not just talking about Indian television, such kind of acts are quite prevalent to increase drama and make the show more interesting even if foreign shows. And like before, the viewers still shipped the main couple after everything, and the reason was that they were watching the show plainly for drama. They knew what they were watching was wrong, but there was a huge part of them that also didn't care because it is just a show, and no person is actually getting hurt. And like I have also said before, if this is what rows their boat, then it is fine, as long as they draw a clear-cut line that they know this is wrong, which I feel like the majority of people do. 

Like I have seen several people on this platform who just go with the flow. If someone will ask them whether or not Virat is right, they will go of course not. He is an absolute jerk. But then whether or not they still wish for SaiRat, they go yeah, it will be fine if they show a change in Virat's character, and a change in storyline. Cause they know that fretting over it will only give themselves a headache. The best example would be the divorce track. In the beginning it was SO irritating that everyone was calling Sai ex even though she was divorced. But now, everyone just let go because we know it has zero significance over the story. And the makers won't change anything. 

It is only now, with more and more people understanding the harmful effect these kinds of shows can have on society, especially on the minds of those that don't understand the difference between serial and real life, that people are raising awareness against it.  

Of course, there will always be people who will feel disgusted, and if these tracks are affecting your or anyone else's mental health (which also would be completely understandable), I would recommend either taking a break or trying to stop watching it, cause this drama is so not worth losing your mind over. But that too is a personal preference. 

But, if I have to compare which of the two side is right (and I am not talking about the 3rd side aka Virat apologists), I would say that the people who are firmly against these shows are morally more right. 

Edited by ShipIsSailing - 1 years ago
ShipIsSailing thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: janecastle

Online audience always bash trp aunties for encouraging regressive content. But truth is, some online fans are worse than trp audience. They support the most heinous stuff done by ML in the name of angst, intense chemistry and hotness. Virat Chavan is a criminal and deserves to be jail. Same with his family. 

Mujhe nahi lagta ki ab Pulkit ko bhi yaad hoga ki vo kabhi kidnap hua tha. 

G259 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 9

Count me in.I was also a SaiRat shipper once.But got detached from them and the show slowly because of the toxicity.I remember being excited for SaiRat meeting during Virat's first mission when he got shot.I agree with everything you have said.Now I just don't want Sai with Virat come what may.He is an abuser and should be away from his kids too for the time being.A man who can lock his daughter up and then try to manipulate her into being convinced about his actions in the name of "love" can do anything.He hasn't been butchered to keep anyone relevant.Was always a red flag which I falied to realise before.

Dsha thumbnail

Originally posted by: Deltablues

Now, this show has always normalised, amongst other things, casteism and violence against women. Bhavani forcefully incapacitating Devi just because she had a boyfriend should have raised the audience's heckles long back but I think the fantasy of controlling their daughters somewhere subconsciously resonates with the audience.

Confining a human being (not in jest but in full-blown psycho anger) is a violation of human rights. (Big words for an itv show, I know.)

I think you've stated too many facts for the likings of people over here. 😆

But very well put. 👏

Indira1211 thumbnail
Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Anniversary 6 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: ShipIsSailing

The reason there is anyone who still ship SaiRat is either because they were too attached to the main couple that even now they can't seem to let go, or, because they are watching the show solely for drama, and don't really care whether or not these things are okay in real life, and I, personally, don't really find anything wrong with that as long as they understand that this type of behaviour is unacceptable in real life. 

I am not talking about defending Virat's character. Defending his behaviour, and saying that none of it is his fault is wrong, because that, in some aspect, says that they believe that such actions are alright in real life too if the person has a past like Virat. 

But as I have said before, this show is just for entertainment. This isn't the first time when such awful and abusive behaviour is shown on television, and I am not just talking about Indian television, such kind of acts are quite prevalent to increase drama and make the show more interesting even if foreign shows. And like before, the viewers still shipped the main couple after everything, and the reason was that they were watching the show plainly for drama. They knew what they were watching was wrong, but there was a huge part of them that also didn't care because it is just a show, and no person is actually getting hurt. And like I have also said before, if this is what rows their boat, then it is fine, as long as they draw a clear-cut line that they know this is wrong, which I feel like the majority of people do. 

Like I have seen several people on this platform who just go with the flow. If someone will ask them whether or not Virat is right, they will go of course not. He is an absolute jerk. But then whether or not they still wish for SaiRat, they go yeah, it will be fine if they show a change in Virat's character, and a change in storyline. Cause they know that fretting over it will only give themselves a headache. The best example would be the divorce track. In the beginning it was SO irritating that everyone was calling Sai ex even though she was divorced. But now, everyone just let go because we know it has zero significance over the story. And the makers won't change anything. 

It is only now, with more and more people understanding the harmful effect these kinds of shows can have on society, especially on the minds of those that don't understand the difference between serial and real life, that people are raising awareness against it.  

Of course, there will always be people who will feel disgusted, and if these tracks are affecting your or anyone else's mental health (which also would be completely understandable), I would recommend either taking a break or trying to stop watching it, cause this drama is so not worth losing your mind over. But that too is a personal preference. 

But, if I have to compare which of the two side is right (and I am not talking about the 3rd side aka Virat apologists), I would say that the people who are firmly against these shows are morally more right. 

I just watch for drama..all these itv couples are such messed up individuals that if they were real people ..they’d never find love and happiness ..also whatever they show on itv is so removed from real life where I live that comparisons to real life are like zero. But regarding ghum..I only started watching just before the leap.so I didn’t see Sais college days or shruti track..maybe thats why I don’t have this hate for Virat that many viewers do. And I just find Sai, her two kids and Virat.. appealing as a unit so I’d like Sairat to end up together..but with regards to yrkkh which I’ve been watching from season 2…abhira never appealed to me as a couple.they were just absolutely irritating when they were together that I even started skipping episodes where they were doing their immature romance. Thankfully those episodes were few.. but now after the leap they are much better that they are apart..and  I like the new male actor brought in for akshara and I want her and abhinav to stay together as a couple..so that’s why I understand why some viewers want saiya as a couple. Sairat just doesn’t appeal to them anymore 🤷🏻‍♀️

Deltablues thumbnail

Originally posted by: ShipIsSailing

It doesn't take me a second to jump a ship toh itv rarely gets under my skin unless it is completely morally reprehensible like that Banni Chow show and this character being hailed as a protagonist. I appreciate the concern for mental health because this show must be triggering to a lot of abuse survivors.

Virat is a terrorist shielding, power-hungry, mcp domestic abuser and deserves to be in jail. That acknowledgement is necessary from the audience here. I don't think trp audience watches this show as a love story because it is not.

I respectfully disagree that opinions on fiction are completely divorced from real morality. If some people find Pakhi's 'love' for Virat to be creepy or Bhavani to be a bitch, or even Sai to be a bad mother, those value-laden judgements are informed by real life. This show is presented as social realism as opposed to an indulgent romantic fantasy (as say ipk or Notting Hill.)

AvniBhat thumbnail
Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

😂😂😂 ……… This post is about me ? I just want to clarify I am not a Sairat fan and don’t want them to get together. But thank you for saying all these things to me for saying “I think they will be shown as eternal lovers”

Deltablues thumbnail

Originally posted by: AvniBhat

😂😂😂 ……… This post is about me ? I just want to clarify I am not a Sairat fan and don’t want them to get together. But thank you for saying all these things to me for saying “I think they will be shown as eternal lovers”

No it's not about you. I am just seeing a lot of Virat apologia across sm.

I don't frequent the forum anymore so barely know anyone. A lot of people who started here, left this show very early on

That being said, I don't throw indirects, I will quote your post if and when I wish to respond to it. :)

My issues always have been with crucifying Pakhi and now Sai for Virat's crimes which a loooooooot of people do here. This udte teer pakadna wasn't necessary

Edited by Deltablues - 1 years ago