Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Deltablues thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 1 years ago

Originally posted by: Raina101

I didn’t know what batzos is and had to google it. It sounds exactly like feta. Are they similar?

Somewhat but Batzos has half the fat content of feta and is spongier.

Since, it is from Thessaly, it seemed appropriate

Raina101 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

What would you have made for Bachpan Ki yaad?

I’ve been wracking my brain, but it’s tough!

My mum used to make a lot of cakes and a delicious dessert with Marie biscuits. Other than that she made a dish with flour and nuts called muthia in Sindhi - it’s similar to a Punjabi pinni. My Nani used to make lola- a sweet flatbread and amazing kulfi while my dadi made the best ras malai. 

I didn’t want to make a cake but since I’m not creative enough I’ll just do that.

I’d make a kulfi flavoured cake - essentially a mawa cake with nuts and all, I’d make ras malai and I’d make cream for frosting with saffron and some ground rasmalai.

I’d serve it in a cocktail glass - so basically layer some cake (doused in rasmalai liquid) top it with frosting and some broken rasmalai bits, make a second layer as well but instead of adding broken rasmalai bits I’d make small coin sized rasmalai which I’d use for decoration and top it with some pistachio dust.

I know rasmalai cakes are fairly common, but I’m not the most creative person around.

Edited by Raina101 - 1 years ago
KabutarHoled20 thumbnail

Maybe more traditional route with halwa because we used to eat less of cakes (limited in my area where I grew up but now, there are a lot of places that sell vegan or eggless cakes). Something more vegan/vegetarian route perhaps, to be frank. 

Kyahikahoon thumbnail
IPL 2024 Match Winner 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 15 Thumbnail + 3

Pooranpoli or Sooji halwa.. presentation ideas pls 

Raina101 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

For the Japanese bento challenge, I would’ve made - 

Grilled salmon with a teriyaki glaze

Rice cooked with some beetroot juice, ginger, garlic and edamame

Stir fried corn, mushrooms and broccoli with a miso dressing

Pickled cucumber, carrots and radish salad or not pickling these ingredients and serving it with a sesame mayo.

An okonomiyaki made with eggs, cabbage, peppers, courgette 

Raina101 thumbnail

What would you have made for the food truck challenge?

Asian Team - Thai red or green curry veg (tofu, carrots, mushrooms, broccoli) and chicken with steamed rice 

Noodles veg and prawns or laksa 

Paneer and chicken satay

Lemongrass and honey flavoured iced tea
For dessert either Pandan flavoured cake with coconut mousse or mango sticky rice

American Team

Potato Wedges with aioli

Deviled eggs

Fried chicken served with BBQ sauce 

Southwestern rice/ Mac n’ cheese (one of them)

Iced tea - peach and mint (2 options)

Peanut butter brownies/cheesecake with berry coulis (either one)

Mexican Team

Nachos with cheese sauce and tomato salsa (served separately as dips)

Mexican corn 

Chicken cooked with mole

Mexican rice (with beans, corn, peppers)

Non alcoholic Margarita

Cake with dulce de leche topping

Since this task was not so much about exceptional taste as it was about making money - I’d go for dishes that people have heard of even if they haven’t tried. Familiar flavours is the key. Not everybody is an adventurous eater, so it’s better to have something everybody will enjoy.

Also the focus would have been on stuff that doesn’t need to be cooked for too long on the spot - can be flash fried to reheat; or just heated and served. Also assembling dishes is very time consuming, so something that’s easy in that regard as well. 

Deltablues thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5

Mexican team - rice bowl with mole negro; strawberry tequila nieve for adults, mango jalepeño nieve for the abstaining people. Tescalate, spicy burrito made with a damn tortilla press

American menu should have been the easiest to nail for them. Hotdog/burger culture is insane. If I had to bake buns from scratch then fried Chicken with biscuits and gravy— anything that gets made in one pot, mac and cheese, fried ice cream, baked cheesecake, cold coffee/cider

Asian menu- Chicken Satay, ramen bowl— anything that gets a large pot of broth going, dora cakes for the kids, chill tofu/tempey/chicken, Kombucha.

Edited by Deltablues - 1 years ago
Kyahikahoon thumbnail

Given a choice..name any two contestants whose dishes  u would like to eat

Raina101 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Kyahikahoon

Given a choice..name any two contestants whose dishes  u would like to eat

Deepa and Nayanjyoti

Kyahikahoon thumbnail

Originally posted by: Raina101

Deepa and Nayanjyoti

I would like to try Sindhi food..had dal pakwaan at a Rajasthani friend's place n didn't like it much.

And got a Sindhi best friend since childhood..but they were fans of Gujarati food n mostly cooked that. Arbi ki sabzi khayi hai uske yahan. 

Will try Baa and Aruna's food coz those cuisines suit my pallette the most ..special mention to Priyanka's desserts