Debate Mansion

Will Indian TV remain the way it is? Regressive and redundant.

Saumya19 thumbnail
Posted: 1 years ago

Hello my dear friends and family. I am Saumya. I visit Bade acche lagte hain forum and participate in Ma umra ki Seema ho. I was a silent member of Ishqbaaz forum too. Most of us don’t enjoy the crap fest that is dished out to us in the name of drama post 100 episode mark. We complain and complain about silly plot lines, totally dumb protagonists and even more dumb antagonists. Even the TRPs tell that what they are dishing out isn’t working. Even amateur writers at our forum are better at creating engaging content than the creatives of many shows at ITV. Why do creatives and makers still continue with these boring, redundant, tasteless tropes like yaddasht missing, like marriage to the antagonist and then the age old femAle lead going through load after load of misfortune? 

Do we as viewers enjoy these stories or connect with these atal? Will Indian TV ever evolve as our cinema did come of age somewhat. 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

BrhannadaArmour thumbnail

Originally posted by: Saumya19

Even amateur writers at our forum are better at creating engaging content than the creatives of many shows at ITV.

I would like to see evidence for this assertion. Which story have you read on India Forums that ...

1. Has something happening every day for several months
  2. Maintains supporting characters' scene presence
  3. Is divided into equal-length daily episodes with cliffhangers
  4. Is written at a steady pace of six episodes per week

Amateurs create fan fiction for fun, freely. TV creatives have to deliver on schedule, even when they're not feeling inspired. They may aspire to artistic quality, but if romantic drama of the correct size isn't turned in on time, every day, they may never find work again.

I started writing a story fifteen months ago, and now I'm working on Chapter Thirty-Four, which is still only the fifth day of the plot! I wanted to write the kind of suspenseful romance between family-based lead characters that is the stuff of TV daily dramas, while exploring topics that TV won't touch and expressing the characters' train of thought. I can afford to take breaks and write other stories because my livelihood doesn't depend on it.

Other fan fiction writers skip weeks or months in their plots because they know that readers want payoff, not gradual character growth.

A daily drama's story writer has to think in terms of how many more air dates the show has, which seasonal holidays the characters must celebrate, actors' contracts and illnesses, and available sets. There may not be enough time to question whether the upcoming plot is consistent with earlier character delineation, or whether next week's athletic spectacle is plausible after this week's medical crisis. The goal is to keep the pot boiling, not to experiment with fresh ingredients.

https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/5269509

To elicit a predictable audience response, they serve predictable premises, predictable conflicts, predictable dialogues with predictable reaction shots, and most importantly, predictable background music.

Saumya19 thumbnail
Originally posted by: BrhannadaArmour

I would like to see evidence for this assertion. Which story have you read on India Forums that ...

1. Has something happening every day for several months
  2. Maintains supporting characters' scene presence
  3. Is divided into equal-length daily episodes with cliffhangers
  4. Is written at a steady pace of six episodes per week

Amateurs create fan fiction for fun, freely. TV creatives have to deliver on schedule, even when they're not feeling inspired. They may aspire to artistic quality, but if romantic drama of the correct size isn't turned in on time, every day, they may never find work again.

I started writing a story fifteen months ago, and now I'm working on Chapter Thirty-Four, which is still only the fifth day of the plot! I wanted to write the kind of suspenseful romance between family-based lead characters that is the stuff of TV daily dramas, while exploring topics that TV won't touch and expressing the characters' train of thought. I can afford to take breaks and write other stories because my livelihood doesn't depend on it.

Other fan fiction writers skip weeks or months in their plots because they know that readers want payoff, not gradual character growth.

A daily drama's story writer has to think in terms of how many more air dates the show has, which seasonal holidays the characters must celebrate, actors' contracts and illnesses, and available sets. There may not be enough time to question whether the upcoming plot is consistent with earlier character delineation, or whether next week's athletic spectacle is plausible after this week's medical crisis. The goal is to keep the pot boiling, not to experiment with fresh ingredients.

https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/5269509

To elicit a predictable audience response, they serve predictable premises, predictable conflicts, predictable dialogues with predictable reaction shots, and most importantly, predictable background music.

@ bold but unfortunately the pot is not boiling so far the response is concerned after a little while people loose interest in the stale pot, 

Having said that the @ bold does make sense too as it gives me son perspective  behind these regressive redundant plot beats of bigamy, wife and girlfriend under the same roof going on and on with pregnancy drama, dupatta stuck in tablefans, washing of laptops 🤣and so much more. 
Thanks for chiming in though.