Aussies in $3.3m IPL snub as mystery surrounds big Finch decision

Viswasruti thumbnail
Posted: 1 years ago

A total of seven Australians were let go by their Indian Premier League franchises on Tuesday with Aaron Finch the biggest omission.

The former Australia captain was not on Kolkata Knight Riders’ list of retained players — although it’s unclear if the decision was by mutual agreement.

Indian publication Sportstar reported this week that a source close to Finch said that the opener was considering sitting out the 10-week competition to spend more time with his family. 

Finch had a poor IPL season in 2022, making 86 runs at 17.20 from five innings, while his struggles in Australia colours since have been well-documented.

Pat Cummins also wasn’t retained by KKR after the bowler decided to not play in the T20 competition next year as he takes on Australia’s Test and ODI captaincy.

Other Australians not retained were Sean Abbott (Sunrisers Hyderabad), Daniel Sams (Mumbai Indians), Riley Meredith (Mumbai Indians), Andrew Tye (Lucknow Super Giants) and Nathan Coulter-Nile (Rajasthan Royals).  

The total value of the seven contracts the Australians held last year was A$3.3 million.

The snubbed players still have the option of nominating for the IPL auction, which will be held on December 23.

All eyes will be on young Australian all-rounder Cameron Green and whether he will nominate to join the IPL auction for the first time.

Having dominated as an opener in Australia’s T20 tour of India in September, there is speculation that Green could fetch a bid worth well over A$1 million.

As things stand, there are eight confirmed Australians for next year’s competition with more expected to follow at the auction.

The Australians are Josh Hazlewood (Royal Challengers Bangalore), Glenn Maxwell (Royal Challengers Bangalore), David Warner (Delhi Capitals), Mitch Marsh (Delhi Capitals), Tim David (Mumbai Indians), Jason Behrendorff (Mumbai Indians), Matthew Wade (Gujurat Titans), Marcus Stoinis (Lucknow Super Giants) and Nathan Ellis (Punjab Kings).

Meanwhile, the biggest snub from the retention lists was that of New Zealand’s Kane Williamson, who Sunrisers Hyderabad dropped from his $2.5m deal.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Savera84 thumbnail

Kane Williamson was expected.  But, who will they pick as their next captain is the big question.

Cheers..

dusk2dawn thumbnail

Thank you for tag Madhuri ji.. 🤗

The poor form of Finch led to his non retention. but kkr and especially MI have to rethink their team selection. Only SKY can not lead you to win matches.
I hope Gujarat Titans retain their team as it is as all players are in form. 
The only consistent player in Sunrisers is Kane Williamson whom they let it go. Even they let go off Warner in last season. Now who will be their captain?? It is a big question. I agree with you Raji 👍🏼
What are your takes on this guys.?

KJasoosChulbulP thumbnail

Originally posted by: dusk2dawn

Thank you for tag Madhuri ji.. 🤗

The poor form of Finch led to his non retention. but kkr and especially MI have to rethink their team selection. Only SKY can not lead you to win matches.
I hope Gujarat Titans retain their team as it is as all players are in form. 
The only consistent player in Sunrisers is Kane Williamson whom they let it go. Even they let go off Warner in last season. Now who will be their captain?? It is a big question. I agree with you Raji 👍🏼
What are your takes on this guys.?

MI has sky rocks.. they need to add all rounders.. I personally think that helps in a huge way to take batting deep and bowling works as well… 

But yes.. they can’t win on SKY alone.. and last year ka most expensive Ishan didnt click….. all rounder strategy needed… 

dusk2dawn thumbnail
Originally posted by: KJasoosChulbulP

MI has sky rocks.. they need to add all rounders.. I personally think that helps in a huge way to take batting deep and bowling works as well… 

But yes.. they can’t win on SKY alone.. and last year ka most expensive Ishan didnt click….. all rounder strategy needed… 

Yeah ambani blown 16 crores on pataka player and that didn’t even click n became phuss 😆

I remember the memes on insta 🤣

Originally posted by: dusk2dawn

Yeah ambani blown 16 crores on pataka player and that didn’t even click n became phuss 😆

I remember the memes on insta 🤣

I wonder what happened to tendulkar ka ladkaa.. he is in MI.. no?

dusk2dawn thumbnail

😆

He was in MI back bencher team no?? Last whole season was sitting on the bench na?

Correct me if I am wrong 

Viswasruti thumbnail

They just kept him in the team as a gift item to keep him in the showcase last season. 

Arjun is not on par to be in the playing 11 

dusk2dawn thumbnail
Originally posted by: Viswasruti

They just kept him in the team as a gift item to keep him in the showcase last season. 

Bechara being a show piece with the name tendulkar behind him. 

Originally posted by: Viswasruti

haan.. ty for confirming.. he was MI….. 

Arjun is still young.. not sure of his talent as I haven’t really read much about him…..Would have been kewl if he was early talent like Sachin but hopefully he does good in future :) 

Dawn :) viswas answered our kooschan :)