Which 90s actress has the best maintained career up until now? - Page 4

Poll

Which of these 90s actresses maintained a better career after marriage?

Poll Choice
Login To Vote

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

diasingh2 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 1 years ago

Originally posted by: RaniPreityAish

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=636830357227005

I was able to find a video on Facebook that shows Mahima's Filmfare acceptance speech along with Bipasha and Sonali's speeches for their Best Debuts. And while this is off-topic, Bipasha's speech was of particular interest. I know that the 90s/early 2000s Filmfare Awards usually had the stars dressed down and not as glammed up as they are now but Bipasha's outfit is very, very casual for the event. I didn't even think it was Filmfare just looking at her. Maybe she had that outfit for a performance though. The other thing I loved is that in her speech she says she thanks her co-stars in Ajnabee and specifically names Akshay and Bobby but completely fails to mention Kareena lol. I feel like such a snub would be all over social media if it happened now. Now back to Mahima's speech, she is clearly very happy and energetic, moreso than Sonali and Bipasha who are a bit more sober in comparison. I wouldn't say Mahima sounded conceited but right at the very end she does thank Filmfare for giving her the Best Actress nomination as well and says how excited she is for it, so it does seem like she had some expectation that she would win that too or at least had a strong chance.

It does seem odd that for someone who wanted to be primarily a leading actress that she took on so many supporting roles, particularly ones that were not all that well-written and didn't give her much to do. I guess she thought acting alongside major stars would help elevate her profile, a bit like how Rani became known through KKHH acting next to SRK and Kajol. And I know some actors think smaller roles in big movies are better than lead roles in B-list movies or flop movies. The problem is that not only was Mahima getting small roles in big movies but her lead roles were mainly in B-movies or flop movies.

I agree that the industry and especially fans love to pigeonhole their favs in specific roles. I had no idea that Mahima's fans wanted her to stick with more traditional roles rather than modern girls, but I can understand that. The funny thing is that most of her roles were as modern girls outside of Pardes but I guess Pardes is her most iconic performance to date so that's the one that sticks with most people. Honestly, I watched several movies of her growing up where she was the side heroine (like Baghban, Dil Hai Tumhara, etc.) and she never left an impression on me. Even with so much exposure to her, I never realized this was the same actress in each of these movies because she did not come across to me as anything special. It was only with Pardes that I figured out who she was and felt captivated by her performance so she was magic in that.

Preity and Aish were not from industry families but Preity was already friends with the Deol brothers so she had that connection. And Aishwarya had Salman eventually. Not to mention, Preity and Rani quickly became good friends with SRK, Salman, and KJo so they could count on them for roles. Even Aish had KJo as a friend although she kept rejecting his roles. I don't think Mahima was friends with any of them outside of Salman. She even said that during her cancer diagnosis, she only had 3 people who reached out to here and one of them was Salman.

Regardless of how her career panned out, I agree with you that she left her mark with Pardes if nothing else. Also, like you, I thought she looked stunning in Aksar Is Duniya Mein. Tbh, I have no memory of Mahima in Lajja. I remember Manisha as the lead and also Rekha and Madhuri and even Urmila in her item song but I have zero memory of Mahima which goes back to what I said earlier about having seen Mahima in multiple movies where she plays a supporting role and never remembering her. And in Baghban, her role was pretty inconsequential although even Salman's role was pretty small in that so her as his gf would have an even smaller part automatically.

Thanks for sharing the video.

Regarding Bipasha, she wasn't really a 'friend' of Karena. There are numerous stories on the internet on how Kareena and Bipasha didn't get along on the sets of 'Ajnabee'  and Kareena even calling her "Kaali Billi". So it doesn't surprise me that she skilled thanking Bebo in her speech.

Coming to Mahima, I think she was a good actress but she didn't get the right opportunities, and has had some really bad luck.

She met with an accident during the shoot of her second film itself (Dil Kya Kare) that almost ended her career. Then there was Shubhash Ghai who I've heard was obsessed with her. AFAI, he wanted to curate her career and had made her sign some unnecessary bonds/contracts during Pardes, so I guess there was some legal battle involved. And then she got sidelined by the industry and year later got cancer.

What a sad state of affairs, considering since she had one of the best debuts in the 90s.

If you're not aware, she is making a comeback with Kangana's Emergency. Again a supporting role, but she anyways won't be able to sell a film/webseries as a lead at this point.

RaniPreityAish thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: diasingh2

Thanks for sharing the video.

Regarding Bipasha, she wasn't really a 'friend' of Karena. There are numerous stories on the internet on how Kareena and Bipasha didn't get along on the sets of 'Ajnabee'  and Kareena even calling her "Kaali Billi". So it doesn't surprise me that she skilled thanking Bebo in her speech.

Coming to Mahima, I think she was a good actress but she didn't get the right opportunities, and has had some really bad luck.

She met with an accident during the shoot of her second film itself (Dil Kya Kare) that almost ended her career. Then there was Shubhash Ghai who I've heard was obsessed with her. AFAI, he wanted to curate her career and had made her sign some unnecessary bonds/contracts during Pardes, so I guess there was some legal battle involved. And then she got sidelined by the industry and year later got cancer.

What a sad state of affairs, considering since she had one of the best debuts in the 90s.

If you're not aware, she is making a comeback with Kangana's Emergency. Again a supporting role, but she anyways won't be able to sell a film/webseries as a lead at this point.

You're welcome.

I'm familiar with Kareena and Bipasha's history but I remember Kareena later denied the kaali billi story and claimed the media made it up. I've always believed she did attack Bipasha though and was just later pretending to make herself look better so Bipasha snubbing her in the speech further confirms to me that there was enmity between them. Kareena used to attack any actress who didn't come from the film industry like Preity, Ameesha, Priyanka, etc. On top of that, Kareena was upset that Bipasha was the one who was stealing the movie away from her. I'm glad Bipasha did not even pretend to acknowledge Kareena and completely dismissed her like she wasn't even in the movie. It seems like more than half of Kareena's roles are ones where she is either playing second fiddle to the "secondary" heroine like Bipasha or Priyanka or just a flower pot for the Khans.

I had no idea Mahima had an accident on Dil Kya Kare. Some actresses, like Urmila, were able to succeed with having one director choose them as their muse but I guess it backfired on Mahima and lacking industry support and family connections, she was not able to break out from that. And while I knew about her cancer struggle, I was under the impression she had gotten it recently. I didn't realize she had it so early back in her career.

Thank you for letting me know about Mahima's comeback. You're right, it's not a lead role but she doesn't really have the popularity to sustain a lead role at this point so any work is better than none. Although it will be hard for me to stomach watching anything of Kangana's.

mintyblue thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4

Tabu and Rani Mukherjee

Talent speaks for itself

Originally posted by: mintyblue

Talent speaks for itself

Suchi may ?😲