Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

vcs17 thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 1 years ago

most mythologicals  use the raja ravi varma, ack comics as inspiration, the jewelry, crowns etc 

even recent baahubali and ps 1 had similar style though more toned down compared to past movies, though ps1 women esepcially were more jewelry laden

similar style was in utsav too, i think jewlery was always there and also hairstyles, one can see similar depiction in temples too

though yes, the crowns maybe for more special occasions, in olden movies too they generall wear it in the court 

here again both bb and ps1 were convincing, they dress quite practically in fight scenes

bharat ek khoj was very earthy, specially the fabric is very hand spun and jewelry minimal, similar style are in other movies like agni varsha

whatever the style choice they all look convincing in their setting

the problem in this teaser is not the minimal nature but they dont look hindu or indian, it is some weird combo of sci fic, leather, marvel, video games,  planet of apes, goth lotr, got and what not 

the color choices are bad, sita is wearing one modern shade of purple, saffron, maroon, off white, haldi color which reflect natural dyes should be chosen

HearMeRoar thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: atominis

Never seen any sculpture or carving from past show Indian males have man bun type hair styles or wear Greek or Roman type footwear. 

I didn't say they were. I don't know how many Roman or Greek warriors were man buns either. Highly doubt it.

But BRC, Ramanand Sagar, and every production house does show warriors with long and flowing locks and tons of jewelry and these humongous chariots.

Not to mention the ladies who seem to sleep in their regalia. 

All of it comes from ACK and similar sources. 

You raise an interesting point about footwear. I'll have to read up on it. 

atominis thumbnail

Sita is on exile anyway. Should dress and look accordingly. 

Simple clothes were worn then. 

I am not expecting them to be laden with jewellery. 

I wonder where is sindoor and mangalsutra of Sita either. Do not tell me ancient married Indian Hindu women did not wear sindoor and mangalsutra. 

Edited by atominis - 1 years ago
vcs17 thumbnail

yes, in exile they will wear rudraksh, simple saffron clothes and maybe some flower jewlery as they give up on gold and other possesions 

HearMeRoar thumbnail

Don't know about Ramayan, but Pandavas are explicitly mentioned as wearing deer skin in exile.

However, they had a large contingent of guards and servants with them, as well as chariots and weapons, until the incognito year. 

Edited by HearMeRoar - 1 years ago
Filmistan thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

I've said it before and I'll repeat: I don't want Bollywood touching Hindu epics. Those lot do not have any intrinsic understanding of Sanatan Dharma, nor are they interested in learning about the philosophy of Hinduism.

It's simple really. To present something profound, you need to at least have some basic understanding of its foundations.

Bollywood folks are obsessed with Hollywood, the West, and Western myths and symbols. Whether it was Ayan with his Harry Potter obsession or now, Om Raut with his GoT-based aesthetic and understanding, modern-day Bollywood has never been interested in showcasing India's literature and history from an Indian perspective. They are hell-bent on adapting it with Western sensibilities.

Fair enough. Do what you wish. It's your money. But why feel the need to pollute, degrade Hindu scriptures and Hindu philosophy? Who's stopping you from making movies about Mughals, Sufism, etc.?

Good and evil, as black and white facets, is an Abrahamic feature. Even asuras and rakshashas in Hindu epics aren't outright evil. They're mostly colored in grey.

Raavan was never outright evil. Even after abducting Mata Sita, he had her stay at his favorite, most pure Ashoka Vatika and had the chivalry to ask for her permission to marry her. He didn't rape her, nor did he make her his slave.

It's best for Bollywood to stay away from Hindu epics. What do they have to lose any way? They're a largely Urdu-language based industry. Most Bollywood people are atheists or seculars, who have no connection to Hinduism. What's the big deal? Just stick to what you know. Spare us with your half-baked Westernization of dharmic epics.

vcs17 thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: SaayaOfKaaya

I've said it before and I'll repeat: I don't want Bollywood touching Hindu epics. Those lot do not have any intrinsic understanding of Sanatan Dharma, nor are they interested in learning about the philosophy of Hinduism.

It's simple really. To present something profound, you need to at least have some basic understanding of its foundations.

Bollywood folks are obsessed with Hollywood, the West, and Western myths and symbols. Whether it was Ayan with his Harry Potter obsession or now, Om Raut with his GoT-based aesthetic and understanding, modern-day Bollywood has never been interested in showcasing India's literature and history from an Indian perspective. They are hell-bent on adapting it with Western sensibilities.

Fair enough. Do what you wish. It's your money. But why feel the need to pollute, degrade Hindu scriptures and Hindu philosophy? Who's stopping you from making movies about Mughals, Sufism, etc.?

Good and evil, as black and white facets, is an Abrahamic feature. Even asuras and rakshashas in Hindu epics aren't outright evil. They're mostly colored in grey.

Raavan was never outright evil. Even after abducting Mata Sita, he had her stay at his favorite, most pure Ashoka Vatika and had the chivalry to ask for her permission to marry her. He didn't rape her, nor did he make her his slave.

It's best for Bollywood to stay away from Hindu epics. What do they have to lose any way? They're a largely Urdu-language based industry. Most Bollywood people are atheists or seculars, who have no connection to Hinduism. What's the big deal? Just stick to what you know. Spare us with your half-baked Westernization of dharmic epics.

i second this, but unfortunately they follow the money and they think the money is in these subjects, 

so hopefully these atrocities they are unleashing flop big time and we are all saved from it, the only way they will stop 

trouble_006 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Jimmy Jab Games Season 3 0 Thumbnail + 7

Coz kisi ko mehnat nhi Karni hai. They just want to earn moolah. No research, no sincerity. They think just being flashy will earn them the bucks. 

That's not the approach to make such epics. The main star should be the script and connection with the general public. Get that right and you'll not need to spend so much on crappy VFX. These stories are connected to our emotions. That's what the Sagars understood. He got the pulse of the Indian audience. 

These kind of projects need at least 1-2 years in pre-production. You already have the core story. Hire some scholars and get your world building right. Par iss sab ke liye patience and integrity chahiye. 

Look at Prabhas, guy has charged around 100 crores as per rumors. Couldn't even get fit for the role (not talking about getting a six-pack but he could have made an effort to not look like a slob). Nahi ho paa raha toh let the director know and quit. 

I feel sad that the next generation of kids will have this movie as reference for Ramayana. (You know like we have Ramanand Sagar's Ramayana as reference). The impact of these kind of shows/movies cannot be denied. Many people still believe the myth that Draupadi laughed at Duryodhana in IP and that's why the whole disrobing happened just because it was shown first in BR Chopra's Mahabharata. 

trouble_006 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Jimmy Jab Games Season 3 0 Thumbnail + 7
This content was originally posted by: SaayaOfKaaya

I totally agree with the rest of what you've written. My personal belief is that BW should just not touch Ramayana or Mahabharata. They can stick to what they like and know. These are not stories they should try to experiment with. Nahi aata karna toh mat hi karo. 

But @blue: He didn't force her because he was cursed (thrice actually). The curse of Nalakubera after he molested Rambha, the curse by Brahma after he forced Punjikasthala (as per Valmiki Ramayana). And the curse of Vedavati after he tried to force her. The curse stated that if he forced any unwilling woman, his head would burst into pieces. So she had to agree to come to him .That's why he kept on sending his Rakshas etc to convince her. Not out of any respect for her.