Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 1 years ago

PS1 grander can be enjoyed only in theaters than  TV s at home 

Edited by myviewprem - 1 years ago
PD_forums thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

Originally posted by: Lord_Voldemort

Damn!!! I thought 250 Crore is the budget of just one part. Turns out it is the budget of both parts. Which means first part made at a budget of 125 crore will make 500/600 crores. Such a huge ROI from theatrical revenue alone for such a big budget film. Hats off Mani!! Imagine he’s been making movies for four decades and he’s still relevant and making the biggest blockbusters. Can’t wait for part 2 now!!

https://twitter.com/himeshmankad/status/1578778691794272262?s=46&t=UFSWbXSI0s6ZRguGnvNlVQ

Wow... What a control on budget 👏

Mani ratnam proved we donot need VFX to make a periodic movie. Keep everything natural and tell the story in great level, people will sure appreciate it.

Seriously industry should learn from PS 1 and KGF movies how to control budget but still make great movies with good screenplay and dialogues. 

Sevenstreaks thumbnail

Saw d movie yesterday . Loved it . Aish and Vikram ❤️

Mugda thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

George

@VijayIsMyLife

·

#PonniyinSelvan1 is a SUPER HIT in Hindi. It has fared well in week 1 and biz has jumped on its second weekend to put up a strong total.

Week 1 - ₹14.30 cr

Week 2 -

Day 1: ₹0.81 cr

Day 2: ₹1.60 cr

Day 3: ₹1.90 cr

Total - ₹18.61 cr net#PS1

Edited by Mugda - 1 years ago
Mugda thumbnail

Mirror Now

@MirrorNow

·

#ManiRatnam's #PonniyinSelvan1 continues to maintain its rhythm at the box office. The period drama starring #AishwaryaRai, Vikram, Karthi, Trisha and Jayam Ravi has now crossed the lifetime collection of this year's second highest grossing Hindi film, #TheKashmirFiles.

Chiillii thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2

I could finally see the movie only Yesterday. I have to go watch again… and I will and this would be the first time I would like to watch a movie second time in the theatres 

Aishwarya you proved it and how spectacularly nearing 50…. You will forever be Nandini. Khans should probably learn from you 

I have read the book several times and it is one of my childhood favourites 

And I saw my imagination come alive on screen and every character is just as was in the book but come alive. Superb casting and exemplary performances by everyone.  

And Mani Rathnam is vow…. Specially after knowing the budget… The whole scale of the movie seems as if 500 crores or even more have been spent on it… It looks so grand and majestic.. I became a fan of Om Raut after Tanhaji but after watching Adi Purush Teaser and then PS 1 I have realised why Mani Rathnam cannot be matched by these one movie wonders…. 

Mugda thumbnail

Ponniyin Selvan 1 Box Office Day 10 (Hindi): Mani Ratnam’s Directorial Adds On, Would Cross 20 Crores Inside Two Weeks

In its second weekend at theatres, Ponniyin Selvan 1 (Hindi) managed a bit more numbers

Box Office - PS-1 (Hindi) adds on over the second weekend, would cross 20 crores inside two weeksBox Office – PS-1 (Hindi) adds on over the second weekend, would cross 20 crores inside two weeks ( Photo Credit – Facebook )

In its second weekend at theatres, Ponniyin Selvan 1 (Hindi) managed a bit more numbers and in the process reached 18.65 crores*. The film has done well to go past the 18 crores mark in 10 days after opening at 1.85 crores, which means the first day average is pretty much been maintained on a daily basis.

ADVERTISEMENT

That said, the numbers stay on to be fair and it’s some sort of relief since so many films in the past have failed. In that aspect a movie like Ponniyin Selvan 1, with Karthi and Jayam Ravi in principal roles along with Aishwarya Rai Bachchan as the only pan-India face with Vikram in a special appearance (at least for this part) and Trisha as another reasonably known face has managed to collect at least this much. Moreover, it isn’t as if the reviews were unanimously appreciative either, and as a matter of fact at one point in time it even looked that the film would be a non-starter.

In that aspect, Ponniyin Selvan 1 (Hindi) is now on track to hit the 20 crores mark before the close of second week and then add a few more for the next 10 odd days till Ram Setu and Thank God arrive. This kind of run should be good enough to eventually earn this Mani Ratnam film a lifetime of 25 crores, which won’t be a bad total at all.

Edited by Mugda - 1 years ago
pathaka thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 6

I saw it on the first day …couldn’t review it then coz had other stuff going on but heres the thoughts

I didn’t read the novel nor had much idea abt the story …I just read up on the chola family tree before going in and read a character synopsis of ps ….

As for the movie 

Didn’t like it

Gr8 source material, shabby and rushed execution 

Firstly there is in information overload ….several things that need time to vest are rushed over ….and unnecessary time is spent on comedy scenes or chases or badly choreographed action ….this is meant to be a drama ….gimme the drama bro

Sundara chola and his 3 kids are established but it is never setup for us to invest in or root for them 

Poor karthi keeps swinging from one place to the other conveying messages introducing himself for the 500th time it gets tiring after a point ….granted he’s the protagonist but the scenes go by so quick there is no development or characters …

Kundavai is intelligent we are told …we barely see it 

Ash is beautiful we are told ..ok gr8…where is the expression on the face ? 

Ash and kundavai have tension we are told ….there is one scene between with long winded dialogues abt beauty and that’s it 
Their rivalry isn’t established properly ….sundara chola and his fam aren’t setup ….sobita has a 4 min song that adds no value, and neither does her character …like I literally don’t care abt the songs ….they weren’t shot or choreographed in a special way or weren’t part or the narrative (except ponni nadhi)

Jayam Ravi is a wrong choice for the title role ….should have given it to a charismatic young actor like dulquer or Nivin pauly

He brought no screen presence

Ash and Trish are pretty …let’s leave at that coz there isn’t much else

Vikram is usual vikram …I’ve seen him do this and so this better a 1000 times in the past …

Karthi is the star here tbh …he carried this thing and he’s the only one I ended up caring abt when he was drowning in the sea ….

Arr score was disappointing ….except the boat song nothing struck…and the score sometimes was borderline like a tv serial (dhoom tanananna dhoom tananana when ash comes on) 

It’s like mani ratnam dragged it but also rushed it ….dragged it with his lack of emotional connect and random stringing of scenes which are more like a series of events …like don’t care at all for anyone really 

And rushed it by dumping so much info in there in exposition which sure needed more time to marinate …

This would have worked better as a tv series ….the screenplay or rather the adapted screenplay here is shabby and dosent work for film based story telling (which needs highs and lows, pace and tempo )

What a frustrating movie …uggh

Edited by pathaka - 1 years ago