Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Moonks thumbnail
Posted: 1 years ago

Originally posted by: metacrisis

The thread looks really sweet Kusum! ❤️

In the Bengali legends though the story goes very differently, I still like both versions.

Then please share those stories with us too😳

Moonks thumbnail

https://youtu.be/Wyq3K1LK3hw

https://youtu.be/Ooreeo9P148

https://youtu.be/W2_Jnsi-CPU     

This Radha Ashtami, enjoy soulful songs on our dear RadhaRani😳

Edited by Rani_Sahiba - 1 years ago
RainOfDew thumbnail

Originally posted by: Rani_Sahiba

@bold if you still have that then please share with us too💖

Nahi mil raha😒 Sab jagah dhundh liya jahan ho sakta tha

RainOfDew thumbnail

Mil gayai hope u like it😅

20220904_150642.jpg

Moonks thumbnail

Originally posted by: RainOfDew

20220904_150642.jpg

Lovely🫶

RainOfDew thumbnail

Thanks Neha and Kusum🤗

wayward thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 8

Originally posted by: Rani_Sahiba

Then please share those stories with us too😳

Sure! This is mostly from what I remember from my childhood, so others if you know more about these, please do pitch in. ❤️

In my understanding, Radha is an exceptionally dynamic character, who dared to control her own life and succeeded, despite her contemporary societal norms.

For us, Krishna and Radha exist outside the confines of the Mahabharata timeline, and they exist throughout time and space, revealing themselves in every song, and prayer, and prose ever written. They appear as imagined by Jayadeva, Chandidas, Rami, Govindadas, Vidyapati, Lalon Fakir, Karim Das and Rabindranath Tagore. Each of these poets (and more) express their Radha glowing in defiance of their contemporary society.

In Bengali mythology, there are a few different streams the story takes:

- Radha is Shiva's avatar, and Krishna is Kali's. This happened as a result of Shiva and Kali both challenging each other by taunting that they won't be able to survive as a person of the other gender. This I believe is a fantastic example of Bengal's rich Shakti traditions mixing sweetly with its Vaishnav roots.

- Radha is married to Ayan Ghosh, a soldier in Kamsa's army, and she is an aunt of Krishna by marriage. Here, Radha is older than Krishna, and she is the one that drives this relationship.

Radha in these traditions, is stronger, older, much more assertive in her pursuit of Krishna and defiant of the unfair societal norms. In these stories, she is not a daughter of some fancy King, but just a random gopi from a village in the middle of nowhere. This ends up especially significant, as this girl from nowhere becomes the very foundation of Krishna's overall personality.

This is the same Radha that wears the name kalankini as a badge of honour. She doesn't just stand quietly beside Krishna being a prop to his shenanigans, but she actually goes out and fights for him. Now, that's a woman to look up to!

In most Bengali traditions, Radha-Krishna's separation is final. One fine morning, Akrura comes in with the truth about Krishna's parentage and by evening Krishna is gone forever, and that is the end of their relationship. This separation of theirs is almost sacred, to the point that making them meet, even decades later seems somewhat of a snub to their great sacrifice.

- I've also read another version, which pretty much recreated Ramayan's Uttara Kand with Radha-Krishna and Radha's twin manasa sons Suchitra and Vichitra. In this version, though Krishna meets the kids after the Kurukshetra war, Radha still refuses to meet him.

As far as I remember (I might be dreaming this part also), Krishna and Radha just sit on opposite sides of a wall without ever talking, until Krishna has to finally go back to Dwarka.

kavya1994 thumbnail

Originally posted by: RainOfDew

20220904_150642.jpg

Beautiful❤️

Satrangi_Curls thumbnail

Radha is Shiva's avatar, and Krishna is Kali's. This happened as a result of Shiva and Kali both challenging each other by taunting that they won't be able to survive as a person of the other gender. This I believe is a fantastic example of Bengal's rich Shakti traditions mixing sweetly with its Vaishnav roots.

Absolutely love this version!!