Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Shri_12 thumbnail
Easter Egg Contest Winner (2023) 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 1 years ago
Originally posted by: BrhannadaArmour

Hoṇāra Sūna Mī Hyā Gharacī was a very successful daily drama that didn't have any rich villains.

When Shree, the rich male lead, proposed to lower-middle-class Jahnavi, his six mothers all had the misunderstanding that she was a liar who had agreed to marry an older man and then dumped him for Shree. No one in the rich family plotted to turn Shree against poor Jahnavi. They simply told him their concerns and accepted his engagement. Shree's grandmother Āī Ājī decided to leave the house after the wedding, but she and the other five mothers kept quiet about it so that it wouldn't be emotional blackmail. They smiled through the wedding, and didn't tell Shree that poor villain Kala was sending them her bills and extorting them for gifts. When Āī Ājī quietly told Shree that she was leaving, he convinced her that he would move out instead, leaving Jahnavi behind with them. Jahnavi and Shree were not supposed to see each other, but when Āī Ājī noticed that they were sneaking conjugal visits (love bites and all), she ignored their disobedience because she had a soft corner for Jahnavi by then, and Shree was allowed to return. While Kala continued to cause trouble, trying to break up the marriage, the rich mothers-in-law just worried that Shree was unhappy with Jahnavi. One by one, they all became fond of their daughter-in-law and tried to get along with Kala for her sake.

There was a story arc for a few months in which Baby Ātyā, one of the mothers-in-law, turned against Jahnavi, trying to arrange Shree's remarriage in anticipation of a divorce, and then calling Jahnavi "down-market, moldy, oily" to Shree's face, but Baby Ātyā never caused any tangible problems. Jahnavi was pregnant, and so Baby Ātyā became obsessed with her health and safety.

So, I insist on disagreeing with what you've written. The success of Hoṇāra Sūna Mī Hyā Gharacī proves that middle-class viewers are not offended by the existence of middle-class villains or by the rich characters all being basically decent and supportive of the lead couple.

I have watched the Hindi version of this show (named Satrangi Sasural), where the father and brother were the trouble makers and the step mother loved the FL a lot. 

Like I said previously, some villains in middle class is okay, something that a lot of shows already show. But there is always a character to neutralize them. Like in Honar Sun, Janhavi balanced the negativity of Kala. The original topic mentions why female leads are not rich and my comment is relation to it. 

umawanderer thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: Shri_12

The shows that you mentioned with rich heroine, are also the shows where they finally realise love and importance of family (as if rich people don't love their kids) and start living the husband's middle class life.

Another thing that I can think of is, it easy to portray rich people as egoistic and money minded, which is the perfect recipe of the villain/vamp. If they try to show poor/middle class characters as villain then they would be seen as insulting their audience.

@red: Yes, in these serials... they show that FL learns true familial love in the ML's middle class family...

But when you think about it... it is so absurd... 

If 2 different people can have different definitions of love then different families have thier way of expressing love.

No one can just say... this is pure love etc ..

Especially in the shows I mentioned, The FL family was a normal loving family... but then it is shown that FL was never 'truly' loved... isn't that insulting...

@blue: actually there is no dearth of middle-class-money-minded villians.

The problem here is ITV tends to equalize money mindedness to vile selfishness...

So whether you are poor or rich... as long as you are money minded then you are definitly going to murder some one ... according to ITV....

This formula might have worked in 60-70s but seeing this in todays media is regressive...

In this day and age most of the people are practical and hence sometimes money-minded... vilifying the same characteristic which helps them survive in today's world..... is counter-productive don't you think?

But then we have mahan FL who goes Paisa..hathon ke mail ke jaisa.... 

umawanderer thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2

I think.. I saw the Hindi version that @Shri_12 mentioned... only few episodes.. that too in the beginning..

The cast was fabulous including many nice veteran actresses such as Farida Jalal, Sadiya Siddiqui... and many more..

But the Creatives could not find a script for all these actresses to shine..

I only saw few episode.. the characters were not much developed and was kinda caricaturistic ... (Athletic,Artistic,pious...etc )

But I loved the show  which portrayed a sweet relationship between the stepmom and daughter.. The stepmom was a genuine person.. she cared for the daughter normally.. At that time I was tired of seeing the evil step mom stereotype.. But the PH definitely didn't know where their strength relied as the sweet mother-daughter scenes were so less.. and was more on the '7 mothers'  (who are good actors with weak script)

From the Marathi version which @BrhannadaArmour explained I felt that the creative team of the show were really brilliant to show a realistic and sympathetic negative character.  Actually the evil stepmother trope is over used but here, I can see why the  writer would insert that.

For a normal girl who got proper affection from her mother the 'sasural with 7 mothers' may not seem much if not scary. But for a girl who grew up longing for a mother's love, this 'sasural with 7 mothers' means she gets 7 mother's love..

firewings_diya thumbnail

More than gareeb fl i wonder ithne rich ml aye kaha se 😆 whoever i meet i  general they are middle class families 😆 who work to earn and tv shows i only see ml and fl romancing no work nothing😆 

One more problem is irrespective of what is the job profile of ml he will just roam around in his house and hardly does anything 😆 

And most of the shows the girl will be stuck with her house work even after having so many maids and she will not even work 😆 i do not mind if she really wishes to be house wife. But during introduction of the character fl will be shown as hard working women who works hard to earn but post marriage everything changes. I have only seen few shows where fl actually works post marriage. 

The serials are still in 90s. They need to update their mind set 😆

Moonks thumbnail

I think the makers think that only poor people can have moral values and some ethics like they show in their serials where FL from poor background is so ethical while the sister or sister in law of ML from rich family is a schemer🤣 

I think you guys would like this topic👆😆

RainOfDew thumbnail
Originally posted by: Rani_Sahiba

I think the makers think that only poor people can have moral values and some ethics like they show in their serials where FL from poor background is so ethical while the sister or sister in law of ML from rich family is a schemer🤣 

I think you guys would like this topic👆😆

🤣I liked ur conclusion nd its true actually.. they show exactly that..

Rich nd educated women are vamp nd uneducated nd poor women r FL (Anupamaa for eg) 

I never thought abt this tbh that why do they show this.. maybe to gain sympathy for FL from viewers.. coz a show can run long if ppl hv sympathy for FL as mostly women in household watch the serials.. to connect wid them they show FL poor bechari types (to gain TRPs actually)

Edited by RainOfDew - 1 years ago
KrishnaSourav thumbnail

gareeb FL , more sympathy,people will feel pity cry bucket with her

n its really wrong msg that educated rich people  like vamp but dekha jaye toh ITV is regressive with regressive thinking process n storytelling

where ML is like furniture 

FL will be poor (maximum time not educated or forget about her own job , doing investigation full time ) n giving lecture after lecture 

same story churning in all channel

kiski biwi kiska pati kiska baccha

Palak2812 thumbnail

I always say 

Till the time TRP system doesn't changes 

Nothing good can happen to ITV. 

True it gets annoying 

I saw Sab Satrangi (got annoying at end but still majority was a teally good show)

Where FL (rich) ka dad was a don and ML (middle class) was a sweetheart along with his family. 

But what was the good thing that Don was not the bad guy. I loved all the relationship between all the characters. 

Recent time ka one of the show where either of the family is not villan or leads stupid. 

Pushpa Impossible (Ongoing) 

There lead is a 40s ki single women

Her elder son ki fiance is his boss and comes from rich family and best thing they are not villan. 

Rather very practical and sweet. 

I like how FL has a beautiful relationship with her parents and not dissed to glorify the lead. 

But both are SAB TV products

Both are nice 

You guys can watch it ❤️

It is getting annoying seeing these stereotypical tracks along with sisters sautan and MLs cheater. 

ITV has good actors but they don't get their due mostly due to the content their show serves. 

MidnightMoon91 thumbnail
Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

THIS IS A "MEMBERS ONLY" POST
The Author of this post have chosen to restrict the content of this Post to members only.