Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

mintyblue thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 1 years ago

Omkara is my favourite

I just low how he's transplanted Othello to the badlands of U.P. and given it such a raw, authentic flavour

Also special mention to Saif's perfromance as Langda Tyagi. One of the best performances by a Bollywood actor, he was so menacing, so awesome!

Omkara and Maqbool are both equally for me.

Have not seen Haider yet.

nonam thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2

haven't seen Maqbool, and love both omkara and Haider. really was intrigued by omkara, and the songs by bipasha were amazing, and was stunned by saif's transformation. konkona and saif had such good chemistry but never really get into Ajay's movies.   loved shahid, shraddha and tabu in Haider, it makes you cry. just beautifully shot.

vishal Bhardwaj is a genius, I wish he did more movies.

TheekThaak thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Loved Maqbool but Omkara is my favourite. Each and every actor was a revelation in the movie be it Saif or Kareena , Ajay and Konkana have been know to be great actors so that is there. Moreover the music is just topnotch. I have watched the movie more than once or twice, it is extremely engaging. Maqbool, while it is a great movie, I don't revisit much per se. Haider has to be my least favourite amongst all.

Chiillii thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2

All three are my favourites and an artwork that inspire pride in me for Bollywood 

They bring out the stark difference between what adaptation is what a remake is like actors and directors are doing these days 

I wish Vishal Bharadwaj makes a King Lear adaptation

Guddu.Pandit thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5

Sarcastic Chatterbox

Thank you members for posting in this thread, wasn't sure if anyone would respond. 👍🏼

TheekThaak thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Guddu.Pandit

Dialogues of Maqbool -

"Aur Miyan, kya haal hai Bollywood ke. Aap Haal hamare puchhiye, Razia phass gayi gundon mein"

“Saari Qaynaat darti hai humse, ek takey ki aurat nahi sambhalti.”

“Yeh Maqbool ka Ghar hai, maa ki Kok sa Mahfouz”

“Gilauri Khaya Karo Gulfaam, zubaan kaabu me rehti hai”

"Shakti ka santulan bahut zaroori hai sansar mein, Shakti ka santulan bahut zaroori hai sansar mein"

"Ye tamacha usne tere gaal pe nahi, Abbaji ke gaal pe maara hai"

"Kaun hai bhaiye, jisne pathar mein paudha uga diya"

"Arey bibaa, aap mannatein bahut mangti ho, poori toh 1 bhi nahi hoti"

And that dialogue where Om puri says bach gaye Dilip saab, agar abbaji underworld mein na hote, toh filmon mein hote, kya acting karte hai 😆 Remember this because it is part of a song which I keep going back to. 

Guddu.Pandit thumbnail

Sarcastic Chatterbox

Originally posted by: TheekThaak

And that dialogue where Om puri says bach gaye Dilip saab, agar abbaji underworld mein na hote, toh filmon mein hote, kya acting karte hai 😆 Remember this because it is part of a song which I keep going back to. 

I wanted to write more dialogues but hesitated a bit. 

Guddu.Pandit thumbnail

Sarcastic Chatterbox

Trivia of Maqbool-

• Macbeth is Vishal Bhardwaj's favorite play. He wanted to make a movie for mature audiences after his debut with the children's movie Makdee (Shabana Azmi played the witch for free in that one), and chose his favorite dark-story.
  • Naseeruddin Shah conducted a workshop for all actors in the movie for a few days before start of filming, to get everyone in character and for natural interactions. Director Vishal Bhardwaj requested him to do so, after he knew how well this method worked for Mira Nair's Monsoon Wedding (2001).
  • Director Vishal Bhardwaj initially wanted Pankaj Kapur to play the role of Kaka, but later changed his mind and cast him in the role of Abbaji.
  • Maqbool was officially Irrfan Khan's first lead role as a Hero in a Bollywood production. The Warrior, released a few years earlier in film festivals, was a International British film in Hindi.
  • Naseeruddin Shah was the first choice for Pankaj Kapur's role. He turned it down as he wanted to play the constable's role. After turned down the film, he recommended Pankaj Kapur for the role.
  • Manoj Bajpayee approached Vishal Bhradwaj to play the lead role. Vishal told Manoj that Irrfan was already signed.
  • After Akshay refused the film, Randeep Hooda was approached. But Randeep was in a contract with Ram Gopal Verma and could not sign the film.
  • Vishal Bhardwaj's original choice for the role of Maqbool was Akshay Kumar.
  • Initially, Vishal Bhardwaj offered Maqbool's role to Kay Kay Menon, but he turned it down for a war drama with Amitabh Bachchan-Deewaar: Let's Bring Our Heroes Home (2004). That film vanished, and surely Kay Kay must have regretted his decision. Unclear about whom to cast as Maqbool, Vishal even talked to Kamal Haasan for that role. Naseeruddin Shah was already supposed to play one of the characters in the film. So Vishal told Naseer that he had talked to Kamal for the role of Maqbool. Naseer was livid. 'I said, "Look, if you are talking to him, then I am out," he says. After much thinking, Vishal decided to take a risk with Irrfan Khan, having seen him perform in Haasil. Irrfan would be the youngest NSD graduate in the cast, including other alumni-Naseer, Om Puri, Pankaj Kapur and Piyush Mishra. In fact, towards the beginning of the film, there is a scene where all these actors are sitting in Abbaji's living room. Irrfan was the juniormost of all, but now his time had finally come. He sat in the midst of all the senior actors with the confidence of a veteran.That was a masterstroke,' Naseer says about Irrfan's casting. Before the shoot started, Naseer was offered Abbaji's role, but he refused, since he felt he had played characters like that before. And then Vishal came up with the remarkable idea of casting Naseer and Om as two bumbling cops, always drawing up horoscopes of the film's main characters. The two inspectors- Purohit and Pandit-become the crucial three witches of the story. Maqbool is a complex film with themes of loyalty, betrayal and guilt. Irrfan seemed concerned, as it was the first time he was doing a love story, and even then, it was not the conventional depiction of romance as one would see in most Hindi films. It helped that Vishal arranged a two-week workshop. 'We all read out our parts,' Irrfan said in an interview. '(That helped) develop a bond between all the characters, and the comfort level appears on screen.' He added that Tabu also interacted with him, which surely helped him in shedding his inhibitions.
  • Vishal Bharadwaj stated ,"It was Anurag Kashyap who told me to watch Throne of Blood. That's when the idea of Maqbool unfolded. I placed Macbeth's characters in Mumbai's underworld; from the Midday trivia box: Anurag Kashyap had a minor role in the introduction of the film (later deleted) - an unusual killing scene in which filmmaker Kashyap's body is poured with beer, sauce and sizzlers) h!! add that to the list of things defining the Kashyap mystique ...]".
  • The film was previously titled " Miyan Maqbool".
  • A scene in the movie where Abba ji & Maqbool came out of a mosque after offering Eid prayers and a Qawali was playing in back ground, "Mein deewani Khawaja ki deewani". The Qawali was originally sung by a Pakistani Qawal, Maqbool Ahmed Sabri (Sabri Brothers). The Qawal name is similar to the movie title.
  • The film did not have a theatrical release in British Columbia, Canada.
  • The goon that was killed in the beginning of the movie by pandit and purohit is played by movie's screenplay writer Abbas Tyrewala.
  • Vishal Bhardwaj spoke to Anil Kapoor and Akshaye Khanna to play the lead role. Both declined for unknown reasons.
Guddu.Pandit thumbnail

Sarcastic Chatterbox

I can't believe Akki, Anil & Akshaye Khanna rejected Maqbool's role. I can't see Akshaye Khanna in this role. I would have loved Akki & Anil, especially Anil. His Jhakaas touch, he would have sparked in this role like anything. No one can play a tappori character like him. In this it was a much more classic type. He would have nailed it like anything under Vishal's direction.