Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

punjini thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Originally posted by: Barnali

Javed Akhtar has proved wrong to an otherwise accepted rule. he is one achiever who due to his sheer talent and grit, outshone and outclassed the achievements of the duo, Salim-Javed. there were too many doubters. but,Javed Akhtar proved his cynics completely wrong. contrary to all expectations, Javed tasted greater success after the Salim-Javed team broke up.

I wouldn's agree with this statement Barnali. After the duo broke up, dialogues in movies were never the same again. Those few movies they wrote for - Sholay, Deewaar, Trishul, Seeta aur Geeta, Yaadon ki Baraat, Majboor were so matchless that the magic could not be created again.

Javed as a lyricist is paler than Javed the scriptwriter.
  Edited by punjini - 17 years ago
punjini thumbnail
Remember another one from Trishul (can't get over this movie!)

Shashi Kapoor: Tum mujhse shaadi karogi?
Hema: Agar tum sochte ho ki tum shaadi ke liye kahoge aur main fauran taiyaar ho jaaungi...to tum theek soch rahe ho"
😊
*Jaya* thumbnail

Originally posted by: punjini

Javed as a lyricist is paler than Javed the scriptwriter.

I would agree on this one... Salim-Javed have probably written the strongest dialogs and sequences for Hindi movies... Of course, no one can beat the dialogs of Mughal-e-azam that I think has the best dialogs ever, but that has some heavy urdu and not all can appreciate that to the core... But when we talk of lyricists, we had many who were much stronger than Javed in that area... So surely, Javed - the scriptwriter is much stronger.. as per me.

punjini thumbnail

Originally posted by: jayc1234

I would agree on this one... Salim-Javed have probably written the strongest dialogs and sequences for Hindi movies... Of course, no one can beat the dialogs of Mughal-e-azam that I think has the best dialogs ever, but that has some heavy urdu and not all can appreciate that to the core... But when we talk of lyricists, we had many who were much stronger than Javed in that area... So surely, Javed - the scriptwriter is much stronger.. as per me.

You mean you regard the dialogues of Mughal-e-Azam to be better than Sholay's?

No doubt, Mughal-e-Azam has eloquent, flowery dialogues but I would never rate it above Sholay's. Sholay's dialogues were so tightly written that no one can improve upon them. They were pithy, simple and earthy, if you know what I mean. Ones which will appeal to one's heart instantly. You wouldn't need a translator to come and explain. And not a word out of place or over-emphasized.
Examples:
iftekaar: lekin yeh samaaj kya kahega?
Sanjeev Kr: Samaaj to insaan ko akelepan se bachaane ke liye baney hain.

Inspector: Khotey sikkey to dono taraf se khotey hote hain
Thakur: Sikko aur insaano mein shaayad yehi farq hai.

Another one:
Aaj main Allah se poochunga ki mujhe aur do-teen bete kyon nahin diye, is gaav pe shaeed hone ke liye.

Even without mentioning Hindu-Muslim unity, the dialogues get across that sense of unity in the village. This is class! One feels like giving a standing ovation to every piece of dialogue in Sholay.
Ethnos thumbnail

Apart from dialogues, which were brilliant, Sholay also stood out with its slick direction, production, etc. In any movie, the dialogues are of course very important. Equally important are the way the director gets his actors to do their bit; proper cinematography and everything else. It should be such that the actor was born to fill that role and no other and say those very dialogues. No wonder Sholay has become a legend! No one else could have done the roles of Gabbar Singh, the Thakur, Vijay, Viru, etc. And what's more? The dialogues written by Salim-Javed are perfect for these characters... like there was nothing else that they would have said, but these very dialogues! Imagine a perfect wimp saying, "Kitne aadmi thae?" 😕

You mean you regard the dialogues of Mughal-e-Azam to be better than Sholay's?

No doubt, Mughal-e-Azam has eloquent, flowery dialogues but I would never rate it above Sholay's. Sholay's dialogues were so tightly written that no one can improve upon them. They were pithy, simple and earthy, if you know what I mean. Ones which will appeal to one's heart instantly. You wouldn't need a translator to come and explain. And not a word out of place or over-emphasized.
Examples:
iftekaar: lekin yeh samaaj kya kahega?
Sanjeev Kr: Samaaj to insaan ko akelepan se bachaane ke liye baney hain.

Inspector: Khotey sikkey to dono taraf se khotey hote hain
Thakur: Sikko aur insaano mein shaayad yehi farq hai.

Another one:
Aaj main Allah se poochunga ki mujhe aur do-teen bete kyon nahin diye, is gaav pe shaeed hone ke liye.

Even without mentioning Hindu-Muslim unity, the dialogues get across that sense of unity in the village. This is class! One feels like giving a standing ovation to every piece of dialogue in Sholay.

Ethnos thumbnail

Hey there's another set of lovely dialogues in Trishul, when Waheeda (Amitabh's mother in the movie) is in her death-bed. She coaxes and even chides her son to not shed tears for her. "Main tumhaari aankhon mein aansoon nahin, himmat dekhna chaahti hoon," is what she says if I remember right. She also says that he (Amitabh) shouldn't forget the shame and pain that she went through in her life. And that the memory of these experiences should embolden him to take on the world. That was pretty powerful I felt.

Famous Dialogues from TRISHUL

Jisne pachchees saal apni maa ko dheere dheere marte dekha ho, usko maut se kyaa darr.

Sahi baat sahi waqt pe kiya jaye to uska maza hi kuch aur hai, aur main sahi waqt ka intezaar karta hoon.

Main paanch lakh ka sauda karne aya hoon, aur mere jeb mein paanch phooti kaudi bhi nahin hai!!

Aur aap, Mr R K Gupta, aap mere najayaz baap hai. Meri maa ko aap se chahe zillat aur be-izzati ke siva kuch na mila ho, lekin main apni maa, usi Shanti ki taraf se aap ki saari daulat vapas lauta raha hoon. Aaj aap ke paas aap ki saari daulat sahi, sab kuch sahi, lekin maine aap se zyaada gareeb aaj tak nahin dekha. Good bye, Mr R K Gupta.

You are right, Mr R K Gupta, yeh contract mujhi ko milegi. Aur haan, mere banaye hue colony mein agar aapko ghar chahiye, to taqalluf mat kijiyega, makaan aap ko mil jayega.

punjini thumbnail

Originally posted by: Ethnos

Imagine a perfect wimp saying, "Kitne aadmi thae?" 😕

😆 Well, Danny was supposed to play Gabbar originally. Wonder how he would have acted. We will never know!
Surpremi thumbnail

Famous Dialogues from TRISHUL

Jisne pachchees saal apni maa ko dheere dheere marte dekha ho, usko maut se kyaa darr.

Sahi baat sahi waqt pe kiya jaye to uska maza hi kuch aur hai, aur main sahi waqt ka intezaar karta hoon.

Main paanch lakh ka sauda karne aya hoon, aur mere jeb mein paanch phooti kaudi bhi nahin hai!!

Aur aap, Mr R K Gupta, aap mere najayaz baap hai. Meri maa ko aap se chahe zillat aur be-izzati ke siva kuch na mila ho, lekin main apni maa, usi Shanti ki taraf se aap ki saari daulat vapas lauta raha hoon. Aaj aap ke paas aap ki saari daulat sahi, sab kuch sahi, lekin maine aap se zyaada gareeb aaj tak nahin dekha. Good bye, Mr R K Gupta.

You are right, Mr R K Gupta, yeh contract mujhi ko milegi. Aur haan, mere banaye hue colony mein agar aapko ghar chahiye, to taqalluf mat kijiyega, makaan aap ko mil jayega.

Sahana, these are gut wrenching dialogues from my all time favorite movie - Trishul - Gulshan Rai at his Best !!  I first wore out the video tape and then the DVD too - God knows I must have watched this movie 50 times and would never mind watching it again.  It just grips me - the emotions overwhelm me - Thanks for this thread and reviving these dialogues -  I shall print them and put them on my wall  -  Just incase, I need motivation anytime  ......  😆😆

Sunitha.V thumbnail
I think I am going to try and watch Trishul and Sholay again real soon 😊. Thanks Sahana ji for refreshing my memory.
punjini thumbnail
Great to see you Surpremi and Sunitha on this thread. I was talking to myself for a greater part of this thread!

Did Gulshan Bawra write the story of Trishul? Well, I am sure Salim-Javed have given an entirely different colour to his book, if he wrote it.

Take for instance the dialogue "aap mere najayaz baap hai". Actually there is no such phrase as "najaayaz baap". Until then, in Hindi films, it was always najaayaz beta. Javed says he decided to turn the phrase on its head and this was noticed by discerning viewers of the time.