Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

LizzieBennet thumbnail
Posted: 2 years ago

Originally posted by: MJHTMonayaSajan

btw when are you watching next S1 episodes Lizzie!! There is so much I want to discuss in those episodes πŸ˜³

Haven’t found the time, Tina!

Will get to them soon maybe by this weekend!

LizzieBennet thumbnail

S1 E5

- Daphne talking to hungover Violet who thinks she wants to marry Simon in a hurry because they'd done the deed πŸ˜†- awkward! But Daph has no clue what she's talking about, and might have probed more if Wilson hadn't entered just then with a pick-me-up remedy πŸ˜†

- Why is the Queen planning Prince Friedrich's wedding to Daphne, he hasn't even proposed! 

- "You think I'm to follow in your footsteps. Can there be a more dreadful fate?" Oh El! πŸ˜†

- The Prince is here to see Daph - and oh, he's such a good, understanding fella. I truly hope he doesn't end up with a cat like Cressida.

- Daph and Simon in the park - Simon looks like someone died, πŸ˜† but they both look really gorgeous in this scene  Come on, Si! At least Daph is trying! She tries to take his hand, and he pulls away πŸ€’. And people see. Nope, not good, Simon! πŸ˜”

-  Anthony visiting Siena and Madame Delacroix is there. Were they roomies? I don't get where Siena used to live. Did she move in with Madame D after she broke up with A? Was she living in a house provided by A prior to this?

- Featheringtons home scene: Mama F wants Papa F to go without his tobacco instead of saving on the girls' dresses! πŸ˜† Colin visiting Marina and Pen urging him to go on his travels, Marina glares at her. Of course, Colin is her ticket out of this mess now! πŸ€’

Pen tries valiantly to ward her off him by talking to her Mama. Just how young is Colin supposed to be here? I'm thinking 22 or thereabouts? I remember in the books, Pen makes her debut when she's 17, same age as El, and she's 5 years younger than him.

- Daphne is having a wedding trousseau fitted, and she runs into Cressida. B**ch wars ensue! πŸ˜† Daph is not cowing down!

- Ok, I like the Prince more and more and I'm sorry I called him vanilla. He understands, and has no need to flaunt his male pride by 'fighting for the girl'. And damn he has my respect when he says - I'm happy for them. Not many people in positions of power like he is would manage their ego so well as to actually show empathy and understanding and maturity beyond any normal human being. Full marks to Prince Freidrich! πŸ‘ I like his attitude more than the Queen's who thinks it's accepting defeat. No, ma'am, it's respecting another person's agency and right to choose!

- I liked the small Simon and A scene at the church. Simon ribbing A about what a terrible shot he is. I do enjoy the scenes between them, RJP and Jonny play off each other delightfully. S does not want a dowry, he thinks it's an insulting tradition. Attaboy! Also they are denied a special license by the Archbishop with no reason given!  Because of course, he's acting under orders from the Queen (as Lady D later reveals) 

I have read hundreds of HRs and there's never been an occasion where it's been denied once the circumstances are explained. This seems like a convenient plot point that wrangled its way into the episode just so they could stretch and drag out the drama with the Queen! How can a sovereign be so petty? - oh I know a lot of them are, but if they wanted to paint Queen Charlotte as a badass woman with a heart of gold, they're not doing a very good job of it.

- Simon looks so out of it, really. I feel for Daph. The only way she can repair the damage done to her reputation is by marrying the one man who looks like he'd rather be dead than be married to her. Show some enthusiasm, man!

- Ben arrives at Lord Granville's orgy. (Sidenote : how is it that he's a Lord but is always opening the door himself. Does he not have a butler?) Anyways, Ben hooks up with Genevieve Delacroix, then catches Lord G with another man and then has a threesome with his wife! Phew! All in day's work for our Ben! πŸ˜†

- Will pulls a drunk Simon off the streets. I get it Simon. You don't want her to be shackled with you. You think she's going to be trapped. But man up! You can still give her a good life! And she chose this too! So I don't get this self-loathing and self-pity and self-indulgence right now! Honestly!

- Okay Marina is appearing to be a ruthless opportunist in this scene with Mama F. She lost a little bit of sympathy from me here. She's conniving to get Colin over Rutledge because he's young and pretty and well-connected. Girl, where's your self-preservation instinct? Although I do get her distaste in marrying that creepy old hag. But still, she shows no signs of remorse at trapping a good man using false pretenses. 'If I have not secured a proposal by Saturday' she says to Mama F. I do feel for Marina and her plight and I understand her desperation, and I also get her disgust for Lord R. But how could she not think twice about using Colin like this - especially after being used herself by George (like she probably thinks she has been at this point)? She's talking about tricking Colin into sleeping with her so she can hurry the wedding along??? So not okay!! πŸ‘ŽπŸΌ

And ofc, Pen overhears her nefarious plan. So I do kinda get why she did what she did, but it does seem a tad vindictive, given the extent of what Marina would have to face. So yeah, Marina wasn't right, but then neither was Pen.

- The Queen and mad King George scene. It was sad to see her hopes up initially when he's lucid and then fading when he descends back into madness.

- Daph and Rose scene in the garden. I really like the actress who plays Rose. There's something so warm and likeable about her. (Her name is Molly McGlynn). I also like how she and Phoebe play off each other.

I can sense Daph's pain here as she talks to Rose of her aunt and uncle who don't have children but are still happy- because they love each other. Phoebe is really good here, her expressions convey the turmoil Daph is feeling at this point because she is unsure of Simon's feelings for her.

- Simon waking up hungover at Will's place and Alice does not leave the opportunity of asking him (and Anthony) to invest in Will's scheme of exhibition matches (the Regency equivalent of WWF?)

- D and S are presented to the Queen who asks them to plead their case. Daph starts off insincerely and clearly the Queen does not believe her, and then Simon chips saying they were not in love, but were friends, and I did not believe him πŸ˜†. Where is the evidence of friendship? Friends talk to each other, bare hearts, trust each other. I see none of this in the D&S relationship, so I have a hard time believing they're friends and all the misunderstanding that ensues later between them just proves this point.

- They are married. I liked Anthony walking D up the aisle, he looked happy and proud. So did El and Hyacinth. Colin and Ben were smiling, Vi was emotional. It was a beautiful scene and D looked pretty, S looked bewildered and reluctant and slightly dazed but I did not see any of the adoration/ awe that he must have felt for his beautiful bride. I could tell RJP was trying hard here to conjure up the right expression, but it got too complicated I guess. πŸ˜† So he ended up just looking kinda blank, except when he blinked, which I guess was to signify him waking up from the trance.

- Arggh!! 😑I do not like Marina tricking Colin and yes, she disregards what Pen says to her about entrapping a 'good' man. I can't help but feel this storyline is so sordid no matter what angle I look at it from. I can neither take Pen's side nor Marina's. Marina is definitely being conniving here, laying a blatant trap for Colin.

Perhaps you could say Pen did try and when nothing worked she revealed it all, but would she have done the same had it been anyone other than Colin? Ben perhaps? Or even Anthony? She loved Colin so she was willing to do anything to 'save' him from Marina. Which makes her intentions suspect. She was willingly thrusting Marina onto other hapless young men. Were they not 'good' men then? Only Colin?

And what if Sir Phillip hadn't come along? What if Marina had killed herself or some such? She did try to harm herself/ the baby. What if that attempt had killed her? How would Pen have lived with herself? Argghhh... I hate it, hate it, hate it. I wish they'd never gone down this path for Colin and Pen. I just cannot see them in the same light after this.

- Colin is totally cornered by Marina but he refuses to succumb to temptation and holds back, much to Marina's chagrin. Luke N did well here, much to my surprise! I did not think of him as much of an actor, but this scene had me revising my opinion. Perhaps he will surprise me when it's time for his and Pen's story! But yes, Colin came across as quite a greenhorn in the throes of his first passion. πŸ˜†

It's funny how this scene went. Colin says No to kissing her, Marina is resigned and accepts he's a gentleman, and is about to leave when he turns around and asks her to marry him. Then her hopes are up again, then he dashes them by saying they will wait until end of the season which does not suit her plans at all! πŸ˜†

And I don't even understand how they could be alone in a room together when D and S were all in a tizzy just being outdoors together! Probably because Colin still does not understand these things as well as a rake like Simon would. Colin is a baby and needs to get 'experienced'.πŸ˜†

- Ahh El suspects Lady D of being Whistledown. I don't know how they're going to play this Lady W scenario now that they've revealed it all in S1. Pen's truth only comes out in her book, which might be S4. It could get tiresome to keep it a secret from the ton until then. 

- El's face when the Queen asks her what evidence she has gathered and then Ben's face when he realizes the woman that was part of his adventurous threesome is Lady Granville! πŸ€£ Gold!

Julian Ovenden as Lord G is fun - I remember him from Downton Abbey where he played one of Mary's endless suitors πŸ˜†- a much younger version of him.

- Where's this reception party happening? At Bridgerton House? Daph runs upstairs when Anthony tells her she'd have a brood as big as their mother's! I can see why she got upset.

Ahh Violet having 'THE TALK' with Daph. It's so awkward! πŸ˜† 'The marital act, which you may perform' - Oh Violet! πŸ€‘

- Daph saying goodbye to her siblings has my heart, especially Anthony. ' Even me'? and then the kiss she gives him. β€οΈ And they drive off - I wish Anthony had said something to Simon at this point- something like 'take care of my sister'. Idk, it sounds cliched but my heart wished for it.

- They both look so bleak and sad during the ride, little knowing that things are about to change very quickly.

- Ahh, the pacing has begun..πŸ˜†

You know - with Simon it's hard for me to believe his desperation. Something in the way RJP played this all this while (since that kiss in the garden) seemed to portray (to me at least) that he hated being where he was. I felt like Phoebe conveys that desperation, that longing, the disappointment and then the anger that she's so alone despite being married, so much better.

But of course it becomes clear why he was like that when he explains it- he felt he had trapped her yadda yadda yadda. And that makes it okay, somewhat. Still I can't help but feel that it should have been show, not tell. I wish I could have borne witness to more of Simon's agony other than just him getting drunk.

"From the mornings you ease, to the evenings you quiet, to the dreams you inhabit, my thoughts of you never end." This was beautiful ... I believe I like this piece of dialogue much much better than the overused and now jaded 'I burn for you'.

"It is you I cannot sacrifice."

I love the background music in the scene that follows and the aesthetics of it, but the dialogues were pretty cringey.  πŸ˜†

Phoebe does convey her amazement and incredulity at what's happening quite effectively.

Edited by LizzieBennet - 2 years ago
MJHTMonayaSajan thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 4

- Okay Marina is appearing to be a ruthless opportunist in this scene with Mama F. She lost a little bit of sympathy from me here. She's conniving to get Colin over Rutledge because he's young and pretty and well-connected. Girl, where's your self-preservation instinct? Although I do get her distaste in marrying that creepy old hag. But still, she shows no signs of remorse at trapping a good man using false pretenses. 'If I have not secured a proposal by Saturday' she says to Mama F. I do feel for Marina and her plight and I understand her desperation, and I also get her disgust for Lord R. But how could she not think twice about using Colin like this - especially after being used herself by George (like she probably thinks she has been at this point)? She's talking about tricking Colin into sleeping with her so she can hurry the wedding along??? So not okay!! πŸ‘ŽπŸΌ

You see what I meant earlier...they built up Marina's character and her self-respect so much...only to show this? I cannot fathom it however bad her circumstances might be πŸ‘ŽπŸΌ

- The Queen and mad King George scene. It was sad to see her hopes up initially when he's lucid and then fading when he descends back into madness.

I know...thats why the queen says na later....however quickly it might collapse, at least you found friendship for some time... and thats so true in Simon-Daph relationship too...

- Daph and Rose scene in the garden. I really like the actress who plays Rose. There's something so warm and likeable about her. (Her name is Molly McGlynn). I also like how she and Phoebe play off each other.

Yup!!

- D and S are presented to the Queen who asks them to plead their case. Daph starts off insincerely and clearly the Queen does not believe her, and then Simon chips saying they were not in love, but were friends, and I did not believe him πŸ˜†. Where is the evidence of friendship? Friends talk to each other, bare hearts, trust each other. I see none of this in the D&S relationship, so I have a hard time believing they're friends and all the misunderstanding that ensues later between them just proves this point.

@Bold- Exactly!!! I think I mentioned it earlier as well...from this point onwards, the story becomes either too contrived or too convenient in my opinion..they could talk about s*x bcz they were "friends" and now they cant even understand each other??

- They both look so bleak and sad during the ride, little knowing that things are about to change very quickly.

- Ahh, the pacing has begun..πŸ˜†

You know - with Simon it's hard for me to believe his desperation. Something in the way RJP played this all this while (since that kiss in the garden) seemed to portray (to me at least) that he hated being where he was. I felt like Phoebe conveys that desperation, that longing, the disappointment and then the anger that she's so alone despite being married, so much better.

I agree- I felt the confession was too abrupt, and again for the lack of better word- too convenient...This sometimes happens in shows based on novel bcz novel can fill pages explaining what a person is feeling and many times it comes across as rushed onscreen...I dunno if it was lack of acting from RJP, or the lack of source material or the lack of transforming it correctly into the show but it did seem to me like the confession came out of nowhere...Or maybe I am just too used to ITV dramas where misunderstandings get stretched for eternity before they are resolved πŸ˜†

But of course it becomes clear why he was like that when he explains it- he felt he had trapped her yadda yadda yadda. And that makes it okay, somewhat. Still I can't help but feel that it should have been show, not tell. I wish I could have borne witness to more of Simon's agony other than just him getting drunk.

"From the mornings you ease, to the evenings you quiet, to the dreams you inhabit, my thoughts of you never end." This was beautiful ... I believe I like this piece of dialogue much much better than the overused and now jaded 'I burn for you'.

"I am yours Daphne...I have always been yours" πŸ˜³

"It is you I cannot sacrifice."

I love the background music in the scene that follows and the aesthetics of it, but the dialogues were pretty cringey.  πŸ˜†

I was seeing one of Phoebe's interviews and she mentioned how difficult it was for them to undress romantically when in real life, it happens in seconds and is not at all romantic...oh the things these actors have to do lol smiley36

LizzieBennet thumbnail

Welcome Gayathri to the chat! 

Feel free to weigh in on anything that struck you in S1 since you recently watched it! 

Sgayuiyer thumbnail
Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Anniversary 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: LizzieBennet

Welcome Gayathri to the chat! 

Feel free to weigh in on anything that struck you in S1 since you recently watched it! 

Thank you Liz!!!πŸ€—

I began to watch yesterday night and completed by midnight. Damn I don't know how I missed this series when it was released before. 

Coming to the series,

The cast, setup and background was mind-blowing. It was real too. Each and every characters were flawed and they did justice. I fell in love with Daphne and Simon they are slow chemistry in initial episodes burned my screens. Especially Simon was soo hot and can't prevent from adoring him . Anthony was bit irritating in the beginning a sort of exact example of male dominance. Elois and her thirst to find Lady Whistledown and her funny counter with queen πŸ˜†  

Saw 2nd season teaser so it focusses on Anthony I guess and the new fl for him Sharma sisters (She acted in Sex Education too). Let's see will their chemistry beats Daphne and Simon πŸ˜† .

One doubt - Will Simon not be there in 2nd season ?😭 Will Daphne be there or it will focus only on Anthony and new fl ?

LizzieBennet thumbnail

Hey Gayathri. Glad to see you liked the series!

I got pulled into it only because I had read the books a long time ago and was pleasantly surprised they decided to make a series on historical romance novels- a genre which is usually treated with disdain by the general public (read male population) πŸ˜† We showed them that this genre can be successful right? 

Yeah most people will be with you on the Simon- Daphne chemistry. I’m in the minority here, I found a lot of their scenes forced and the acting by RJP seemed off too. Though I have to admit he’s gorgeous. 

I’ve recently been rewatching S1 as prep for S2 and also because I’d  watched it a long time ago (when it first dropped on Dec 2020) and wanted to see if my opinions had changed. If you want you can go back a few pages and see my reviews on each episode. There’s been a lot of discussion on this thread- you’ll find how the books differ from the series and a lot more if you have the patience to go through the entire thread! πŸ˜†

Anthony’s book is my fav in the series and I do like the way Jonathan plays Anthony. Though I will forever be mad at how they f**ked up his character in the series. He isn’t  like this in the books. He can get overbearing and protective but in a good way. And he is a little arrogant and set in his ways but not in the pushy way they showed in the series. Also his romance with Siena is totally not present in the books.

They played around with the books a lot!

About S2, RJP is not returning. He announced it a while ago and so did the showrunners. Daphne (Phoebe) will be there though, I’m curious to see what character arc they give her. And S2 will be about all the characters I think, not just Anthony and Kate. The book is great but it does not have enough material to fill a season’s worth of episodes. I’m sure they would have tweaked the book a LOT this time too. I just hope they haven’t destroyed what I loved about it. 

I’m so stoked about S2. I can’t wait to see Jonny and Simone’s chemistry. I’m sure it will be sizzling! 

Have you watched the teaser- trailer for S2? I’m waiting for the longer trailer. I hope it will drop soon! 

EuphoricDamsel thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

OHHHHKAAYYYYY!

So I've been all gone...but next couple days will be umm much more free than the last few. 

Here's a little content I found on my best place IG.πŸ˜†

"We all love a bit of Rege" πŸ˜†

https://www.instagram.com/tv/Caaa7_8lDLY/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Sgayuiyer thumbnail
Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Anniversary 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail

Hey Gayathri. Glad to see you liked the series!

I got pulled into it only because I had read the books a long time ago and was pleasantly surprised they decided to make a series on historical romance novels- a genre which is usually treated with disdain by the general public (read male population) πŸ˜† We showed them that this genre can be successful right? 

Oh wow nice so you are fan of this book ya of course this is pretty good too πŸ˜Ž

Yeah most people will be with you on the Simon- Daphne chemistry. I’m in the minority here, I found a lot of their scenes forced and the acting by RJP seemed off too. Though I have to admit he’s gorgeous. 

Oh but I don't know I fell for them πŸ€ͺya he is handsome indeed πŸ˜³

I’ve recently been rewatching S1 as prep for S2 and also because I’d  watched it a long time ago (when it first dropped on Dec 20th 20) and wanted to see if my opinions had changed. If you want you can go back a few pages and see my reviews on each episode. There’s been a lot of discussion on this thread- you’ll find how the books differ from the series and a lot more if you have the patience to go through the entire thread! πŸ˜†

Sure sure will read through the previous pages when I am free. Was reading your current wu. I guess it is similar to that of Harry Potter and Locke & Key where it is completely different from Books. 

Anthony’s book is my fav in the series and I do like the way Jonathan plays Anthony. Though I will forever be mad at how they f**ked up his character in the series. He isn’t  like this in the books. He can get overbearing and protective but in a good way. And he is a little arrogant and set in his ways but not in the pushy way they showed in the series. Also his romance with Siena is totally not present in the books.

They played around with the books a lot!

Oh. But here his character seems to irritating with his constant intervention in his brother's and sister's life. I understand him taking responsibilities but interfering once's life was not nice. May be I will get know him deep by next season. 

About S2, RJP is not returning. He announced it a while ago and so did the showrunners. Daphne (Phoebe) will be there though, I’m curious to see what character arc they give her. And S2 will be about all the characters I think, not just Anthony and Kate. The book is great but it does not have enough material to fill a season’s worth of episodes. I’m sure they would have tweaked the book a LOT this time too. I just hope they haven’t destroyed what I loved about it. 

Omg πŸ˜” I am also eager what they show regarding Daphne she is married, she is settled with her husband and is having a son. It might focus on Elois and Colin I guess. They announced it is renewed upto 4 seasons πŸ€”

I understand  hope they won't mess up and make us to hate it. 

I’m so stoked about S2. I can’t wait to see Jonny and Simone’s chemistry. I’m sure it will be sizzling! 

Let's see πŸ˜³

Have you watched the teaser- trailer for S2? I’m waiting for the longer trailer. I hope it will drop soon! 

Haan I saw. I am also waiting for the trailer maybe they will release ten days before the episode air. 

LizzieBennet thumbnail

Omg how hot does he look here? Wowzaaa! πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

EuphoricDamsel thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

Omg how hot does he look here? Wowzaaa! πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

I knowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww β˜ΊοΈβ˜ΊοΈβ˜ΊοΈ

The armssssss. 

PS : Mujhe kuch puchna thaaaaa πŸ€‘

Edited by EuphoricDamsel. - 2 years ago