Why stage shows with Bolly stars stopped?

atominis thumbnail
Posted: 2 years ago

From 1970s to 2000s there was trend of stage shows and concerts with lot of Bollywood stars, singers together. 

Despite award shows being there, world tours and concerts or televised stage shows with Bollywood stars were very common earlier. 

Even rival stars like Khans, Bachchans, Deols, Rajinikanth, Sridevi, Juhi, Divya, Madhuri, Rani, Preity, Ash, Raveena, Karishma, Hrithik, Bebo, Akki etc have performed together on stage in such international concerts and shows.

I recall how multi starrer stage shows were commonly shown on TV on New Year's eve, Independence Day and Diwali every year. 

There were lot of special stage shows with Bollywood stars in 50th year of independence of India in 1997 and to commemorate new millennium in 2000.

Sometimes stars like Bachchans, Madhuri, SRK, Govinda used to have whole special concerts where they would perform iconic songs from their hit films.

I also remember Dream girls concert with Aishwarya, Sonali, Mahima and other leading actresses of that time in 2001 and it was aired on Sony TV.

There were musical multi starrer concerts with Lata, Asha, Alka, Sonu, Udit, Kumar Sanu etc all performing on same stage.

What happened after 2010? Why such concerts stopped both in real life and on TV? 

Bachchans' Unforgettable tour and SRK's Temptations tour are the last major concerts I remember being aired on TV. 

I think Salman also had a special stage show after Dabangg. 

But the special stage shows are becoming more uncommon and rare now. 

Why is it so? Do stars only perform at award shows at end of the year now? Have they stopped doing all those concerts, cultural programmes and I Day, Diwali, New Year special programmes or their own world tours? 

What happened to all those entertainment companies that used to organise such shows? Why did trend of stage shows and world tours fade out? 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Maroonporsche thumbnail

These days those type of events would be super spreaders ðŸ˜†

But they still happen now and again. Srk led some people in 2013 temptation reloaded. Salman too with his Dabangg tour

Edited by Maroonporsche - 2 years ago
atominis thumbnail

Of course in last 2 years concerts stopped due to pandemic. 

But it's been ages since such concerts were seen on TV or in real life.

Even if they do take place, they are not televised as frequently as they used to be till 2000s. 

kar08 thumbnail
Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 8

Well, there's apparently going to be a Dabang tour in Riyadh on Dec 10th. Jackie is a part of it but I guess she can't go now ðŸ˜†

TotalBetty thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

People get to see the stars on TV shows all the time nowadays - movie promotions etc - so maybe they lost interest in stage shows, so collection is dwindling?

Edited by BettyA1 - 2 years ago
blue-ice.1 thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 5

Became less but not stopped altogether.....I think 3 or 4 years back....Salman, Kat and others had done a stage show in Dallas...

blue-ice.1 thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: BettyA1

People get to see the stars on TV shows all the time nowadays - movie promotions etc - so maybe they lost interest in stage shows, so collection is dwindling?

Exactly....I think with the advent of social media and with everyone being on TV now....the stars have lost that mystery surrounding them.....now everyone is posting on twitter, FB , IG....coming on TV 24/7....the aura that surrounded the stars is gone...that is why we will not have any more superstars.....that aura is gone...too much exposure..

Justice4Samosa thumbnail

Probably the funding stopped with more transparency slowly coming into showbiz with more corporate style studios.

Digitallove thumbnail
Anniversary 2 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Maybe people realised how weird it was. What's the point of watching actors in a live concert just lipsyncing to the songs. Today's generation doesn't have the same fascination with actors that earlier generation used to. The brand of singers in concert also increased. Most top singers from past 2 decade can attract big crowd on their own. Composers also do their own concerts nowadays.

atominis thumbnail

Originally posted by: BettyA1

Hmm. This seems to be a plausible reason. Stars were not seen much beyond films and ads till 2000s.

From 2015 there has been social media boom in India and stars are already seen too much online or their old films, award performances and ads can also be seen online. 

Maybe no one wants to spend money on buying tickets to see stars in concerts anymore when they already see them lying on couch in comfort of their home. 

There are also too many movie channels now compared to only one Zee Cinema in 90s. Or 2 more Set Max and Star Gold in 2000s. There was only Filmfare earlier but now we have dozens of award shows and reality shows with celebs or their own YouTube and Tik Tok channels. 

Maybe organisers also do not want to spend on arranging stage or stay arrangement to handle stars or their families and staff anymore and perhaps do not see these shows as good investment.