Is audience more judgmental, intolerant now?

atominis thumbnail
Posted: 2 years ago

Only in recent online forums I saw people call Madhuri looking 'older' than Salman, Aamir and SRK in HAHK, Dil and DTPH.

Only now we see controversies over progressive messages in ads and films. 

Only now we see people judge actors over weight or looks too much. I mean I was watching a video of Dilbar mere song from Satte pe Satta and someone in comments claimed Hema looked 'like Amitabh's mom in the song'. Huh? Audience back then accepted Hema wholeheartedly and that film was a hit despite Hema being pregnant during shooting of that song. No one bothered about her weight then.

Nor did audience think Madhuri looked older than Khans. Films like Saajan, HAHK, DTPH, Dil became superhits back then.

Earlier even pimples, fine lines, pits, under eye bags and bit of receding hairline or paunch of actors like Rajesh Khanna used to be visible but it did not affect their stardom. They still gave hits.

One can see pimples on faces of Padmini Kolhapure and Madhuri Dixit in their earlier films in 80s. But they still gave hits. 

Moushimi Chatterjee had uneven teeth but still succeeded as an actress. Ajay Devgan and Mithun were dark skinned and Ajay even had uneven teeth, still they succeeded as actors and gave hits.

Films like Sujata, Nastik, Zakhm, OMG, Jaadugar, Eeshwar, Guide, Ram Teri Ganga Maili openly touched issues like caste, untouchability, superstitions, fake godmen, inter caste marriages, widow remarriage, communal riots, atheism, commodification of religion but there was no hue and cry accusing them of hurting sentiments or targeting religion or culture.

Almost all hit films of Manmohan Desai such as Amar Akbar Anthony, Naseeb etc have theme of communal harmony and interfaith relationships. I never heard of that filmmaker or stars being targeted for doing those films. 

Has today's audience become more judgemental, nitpicking, intolerant, regressive and indulges more in body shaming expecting unrealistic standards from actors? 

I cannot imagine RDB or PK being made or released today. I cannot imagine how Madhuri and Padmini would be treated if they debuted today- perhaps people would focus more on the pimples on their faces than their talent and acting? I cannot imagine today's audience accepting Om Puri or Pankaj Kapur in any role, the way 80s audience accepted them despite chicken pox marks on their faces. 

Is today's audience more nitpicky, intolerant and expects unrealistic conformity to perfectionist standards of looks and conformity to traditional or orthodox socio cultural norms? Was audience of past years comparatively more tolerant and open minded? 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

diasingh2 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

If the audiences in 2021 are still nitpicking stuff like "Madhuri looked older than SRK in DTPH" or Hema looked older Amitabh" etc etc, then I'd say we have rather regressed as an audience.🤪

I watched this old video of some "fans" booing Katrina in the public. It's ridiculous how entitled the audience has become.

I am against worshiping of BW celebs, but this is not justified at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCEaZVurW-A

Besides, Social Media has allowed everyone to have an opinion on everything.

and we're currently living in a time where issues like "Air pollution" have become a 'political' topicsmiley26, to Bollywood to fir bhi choti cheej hai.

Ur-Miserable thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

People just have internet now.

People always have had opinions, nowadays they just have a platform to express it and unite with people having their opinion and influence young minds with those opinions.

atominis thumbnail

Originally posted by: Maroonporsche

I wouldn’t even say their against these things heavily. But they are much quicker to criticize now. Criticize everything 

I think the internet brigade is too judgemental. I never noticed how short Aamir was nor noticed that he had bow legs. Only post 2010 I saw people online mock Aamir for his height or post screenshots from his films to point out he had bow legs.

I actually had to google what bow legs meant when I saw people mock Aamir for his legs and walk. 

I never saw anyone mock Aamir for his ears earlier either the way he is being mocked for his ears since he shaved his head for Ghajini. 

Audience criticizes and nitpicks way too much now

Kyahikahoon thumbnail
IPL 2024 Match Winner 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 15 Thumbnail + 3

Social media effect..earlier even if people didn't like anything  they didn't have a public platform to put out their displeasure..now they can..and also find people who agree with them..either ways😃

Also no influencers earlier who could put out their opinions and trend them to influence people.

About looks..yesteryear actors (both genders) were uniquely beautiful..each had their own charm and didn't look like clones of eachother. 

Nowadays we don't get to hear phrases like 'heroine jaisi dikhti hai'..coz every regular girl looks like a heroine ..or rather every heroine looks like a regular girl..which isn't a bad thing as such.

JayaBachan thumbnail

Originally posted by: colossial2015

I am also judging the Korean drama and music obsessed people who do not understand anything of Korean language and culture.

If these people are making remarks, you should better ignore them.

How are you making sense here? Judging people for having a preference in content that’s made for entertainment purposes? There’s a reason why subtitles are available and thank goodness for that. Who made it a rule that you should only watch movies/dramas or listen to music from your own culture and language? Nobody. Not a single law against it. Music is universal. You don’t have to understand the lyrics to enjoy it. I listen to lots of songs from different languages and have no idea what’s being said, but I like the sound of it and that’s enough for me. 

There are lots of Non-Indians who are obsessed with Bollywood movies/songs despite not knowing the language or being a part of the culture. Are you going to tell them to stick to their own language or culture? Shouldn’t they get to enjoy and experience the beauty of Indian culture and cinema like everyone else? 

Maroonporsche thumbnail

I wouldn’t even say their against these things heavily. But they are much quicker to criticize now. Criticize everything 

harun98 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

what i have problem with so called educated indian movies watcher is they lap up to dumb hollywood movies like hangover and call it a popcorn flick but indian movies they are quick to throw all the logics at a masala type of movies where its supposed to be a bit dumb as long as it  makes you laugh.

colossial2015 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

I am seriously judging that member of audience who considers trashy movies like Kabir Singh as legend.

I am also judging the Korean drama and music obsessed people who do not understand anything of Korean language and culture.

If these people are making remarks, you should better ignore them.

Anjalika01 thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Partially agreed.

People (across countries, religions, political camps, etc.) tend to be a lot more easily offended by a much wider range of things nowadays as compared to the past, and people making shows/movies around the world definitely play this up by making more and more controversial, one-sided, politically motivated content.

Like it's true that people are more likely to get offended and boycott/cancel things now than even 10-15 years ago, but it's also true that movies/shows back then made more of an effort to be balanced when dealing with tricky topics as opposed to completely towing the line of one side (and this applies to both HW and BW btw).

But that said, I feel people 100% have a right not to watch/buy something if they feel offended by it. It's on businesses to cater to their (potential) customers, not the other way round.

Also I don't agree about beauty standards in today's BW being higher than in the past... like can you imagine people like Alia, Arjun Kapoor, etc. being cast in mainstream hero/heroine roles back then? Anyone who was average looking or less than ore than made up for it with their acting talent in those days, which sadly can't be said now.

Yes makeup and grooming is better now, but I don't think standards are actually higher.