Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

KabutarHoled20 thumbnail
Posted: 2 years ago

Originally posted by: InspectorShirke

I think she should have given the son to the couple bc they would have given him much better future than Mimi in Gujarat and did the kid have down syndrome or was it a false alarm?

the setting was in rajasthan, not gujarat...

KabutarHoled20 thumbnail

Regarding the movie, Pankaj Tripathi was superb in his role. Kriti could've done a better job TBH. Overall, it was a watchable movie as the movie constituted of its elements of humor and reality. One thing that I liked was berating the biological parents for ditching their surrogate child at a mere false test when the child had no defects. As a child with unusual physical looks, there are some people who will question/harass the child & the parents which is unfortunate. So, good to see this issue was tackled.

Also, it would be much better if the American accent is performed better if you want to bring a couple from the US, especially the actress playing Summer. 

Edited by Myrah_2020 - 2 years ago
loginidran thumbnail
Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 3 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: Myrah_2020

Regarding the movie, Pankaj Tripathi was superb in his role. Kriti could've done a better job TBH. Overall, it was a watchable movie as the movie constituted of its elements of humor and reality. One thing that I liked was berating the biological parents for ditching their surrogate child at a mere false test when the child had no defects. As a child with unusual physical looks, there are some people who will question/harass the child & the parents which is unfortunate. So, good to see this issue was tackled.

Also, it would be much better if the American accent is performed better if you want to bring a couple from the US, especially the actress playing Summer. 

Even if it wasn’t a fake call, the parents still cannot ditch their child like that and put the surrogate in such a difficult position. I was appalled to know that it’s actually a common occurrence in India where these white people come and shop around for surrogate mothers and ditch them high&dry for various reasons. I am so glad the movie somewhat brought this to light.  

KabutarHoled20 thumbnail

Originally posted by: cutejodikangal

Even if it wasn’t a fake call, the parents still cannot ditch their child like that and put the surrogate in such a difficult position. I was appalled to know that it’s actually a common occurrence in India where these white people come and shop around for surrogate mothers and ditch them high&dry for various reasons. I am so glad the movie somewhat brought this to light.  

TBH, it's also common in other countries besides India thus the pros/cons of surrogacy. 

It's just the mentality of such people to ditch the child and come back 4 years to reclaim Raj which was absurd. 

Edited by Myrah_2020 - 2 years ago
Ranjali thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Just saw the movie on netflix. I really liked it, specially kriti’s performance👌🏻She has come a long way. This girl has proved that if given a opportunity she can also excel & she is perfect package when it comes to lead actress. Now I hope she will get more such roles and not say yes to crap like houseful. Pankaj tripathi was at his usual best, I liked sai tamankar too👍🏻

I wonder why critics like sucharita and all bashed such a nice movie 😮 next time If I like the trailer of of any movie I ll directly watch, movie reviews aren’t reliable.

I had seen the original marathi movie many years back so I knew the plot line but I liked the ending message here.😊

I also liked the message which Bhanu gives the couple about suicide.

Edited by Ranjali - 2 years ago
hotchoco thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 4

I guess I'll go against the grain and say I didn't really like the movie. I was looking forward to it because people were saying great things about it but I dunno.. it didn't work for me. The comedy fell flat and I don't think I laughed even once. 

The story also fell apart a lot by the end. I'm not certain about surrogacy contracts work but I'm pretty sure it would have a clause in it that the parents can decide to abort the child if it has debilitating health issues. Even in regular pregnancies, doctors *encourage* you to abort if a serious condition like downs syndrome shows up. It is not considered virtuous to keep that child because they aren't going to have a great life either. False positive tests are very rare. A surrogate would not be able to continue the pregnancy if the parents don't want it to continue. 

Even the end made no sense. Why would someone give up their biological child and settle for adopting another one? The courts would have always sided with them no matter if they weren't in his life for the first few years. Genes would always take precedence. 

IndigoBlues thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4

Posting after a long time. I felt that as someone who has researched on this area (I'm a legal professional) I should say something for educational purposes.

For starters, I have been a huge Kriti Sanon fan since her Heropanti days itself. I think she's really pretty and also has screen presence (also her face doesn't look as artificial as some of the newer girls). From a commercial entertainer perspective, Mimi is a good watch. Good acting by Kriti, good supporting cast-Pankaj Tripathi always adds Midas touch-funny dialogues. 

However one major issue I had with the film is that it completely trivializes commercial surrogacy. I know that makers have added a customary disclaimer in the beginning that the film is not meant to be a statement on surrogacy or wtv. Regardless it should be apparent to the viewer from the beginning that Mimi is being placed in a very exploitative situation. A very famous mainstream YouTube review channel commented that the reference to Shilpa Shetty in the obgyn consult was so funny and entertaining. I beg to differ. You cannot tell a young, uninformed woman, that too an aspiring actress/dancer that her figure will not be affected by pregnancy simply because Shilpa Shetty's figure was not affected. That was plain medical negligence. It is also clear that no one has explained her rights under the contract to her. The 1st half is mostly set to comedic background music. We are constantly told that the heroine is doing this to build a Bollywood career and is hence in an advantageous position even though in real life this is a industry in which women are often underpaid and exploited (as the first 5 minutes itself show). In its bid to be a social comedy entertainer like Bareilly ki Barfi, Luka Chuppi type, the film reduces an economically exploitative situation to a joke. 

It is only when the couple abandons her midway that you see the dark side unfolding. Even then, it is treated with a comic touch, up until the last 30 minutes. First you have the typical sanctimonious speech on how abortion is bad. The debate about abortion in general and the specific issue of whether one should abort children with genetic defects are 2 different things-the film condenses both under the same brush. Also even w.r.t the latter it is a mother's subjective choice as to whether she wants to bring a baby into the world even if she knows that its life outside the womb will be difficult. This is a subject which requires sensitivity and cannot be condensed into a 2 minute 'fetus lives matter' speech. They could have just said that legally she has crossed the term limit for abortion instead of being so self righteous-as the size of her belly made that apparent. 

Then there is the subtle ableism. Okay fine, let's assume the filmmaker's point about how fetuses matter and babies shouldn't be aborted because of genetic defects is right. Then why show a convenient twist in which the heroine gives birth to a perfectly healthy, fair-skinned baby? Just for the climax drama? Even till the end of the film the foreign couple doesn't completely accept that they were wrong in wanting a 'normal' baby. Also in this day and age using terms like 'maansik roop se viklaang' and 'kya baccha normal hai' should seriously be prohibited. Don't be sanctimonious about abortion if you can't treat disabled babies right when they are actually born. 

Chalo yeh bhi jaane dete hai. Even the stereotyping of Muslim woman as abandoned DV/triple talaq victim-fine, one can argue that it happens in real life so wtv. But even assuming you forgive these tropes, the writing in the 2nd half is just lazy. In real life many surrogate women abandon such children because their husband and in-laws will not accept it. Over here we see that the heroine's conservative parents, who threaten to burn down the house because they think she may have married a Muslim, are shown to magically accept the kid and forgive her (multiple) lies. Why? Because he is gora, and white skin rocks that's why! (not to mention the constant emphasis on how she is still a virgin lol) The heroine is also shown as going through the extremely stereotypical Bollywood transformation where the moment she gives birth to the child she starts developing maternal feelings for him. I am not saying that this doesn't happen in real life-it is every woman's reproductive choice and some women do bond instantly with their babies. It's just that it all happens too quickly and too conveniently, and these tropes are getting tiresome-Chori Chori Chupke Chupke has already shown the same drama. Even the resolution in the end was too convenient, as someone else pointed out. Also white people adopting Indian kids has the same legal and ethical problems as them hiring Indian surrogates. 

Anyway TLDR my point is that this film basically treats commercial surrogacy and the issues surrounding it as a comedy. For some people this may be acceptable because aajkal toh waise bhi iss desh main har cheez comedy ban chuka hai. But if you are actually interested in the issue, do read up on it. 

loginidran thumbnail
Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 3 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: IndigoBlues

Posting after a long time. I felt that as someone who has researched on this area (I'm a legal professional) I should say something for educational purposes.

For starters, I have been a huge Kriti Sanon fan since her Heropanti days itself. I think she's really pretty and also has screen presence (also her face doesn't look as artificial as some of the newer girls). From a commercial entertainer perspective, Mimi is a good watch. Good acting by Kriti, good supporting cast-Pankaj Tripathi always adds Midas touch-funny dialogues. 

However one major issue I had with the film is that it completely trivializes commercial surrogacy. I know that makers have added a customary disclaimer in the beginning that the film is not meant to be a statement on surrogacy or wtv. Regardless it should be apparent to the viewer from the beginning that Mimi is being placed in a very exploitative situation. A very famous mainstream YouTube review channel commented that the reference to Shilpa Shetty in the obgyn consult was so funny and entertaining. I beg to differ. You cannot tell a young, uninformed woman, that too an aspiring actress/dancer that her figure will not be affected by pregnancy simply because Shilpa Shetty's figure was not affected. That was plain medical negligence. It is also clear that no one has explained her rights under the contract to her. The 1st half is mostly set to comedic background music. We are constantly told that the heroine is doing this to build a Bollywood career and is hence in an advantageous position even though in real life this is a industry in which women are often underpaid and exploited (as the first 5 minutes itself show). In its bid to be a social comedy entertainer like Bareilly ki Barfi, Luka Chuppi type, the film reduces an economically exploitative situation to a joke. 

It is only when the couple abandons her midway that you see the dark side unfolding. Even then, it is treated with a comic touch, up until the last 30 minutes. First you have the typical sanctimonious speech on how abortion is bad. The debate about abortion in general and the specific issue of whether one should abort children with genetic defects are 2 different things-the film condenses both under the same brush. Also even w.r.t the latter it is a mother's subjective choice as to whether she wants to bring a baby into the world even if she knows that its life outside the womb will be difficult. This is a subject which requires sensitivity and cannot be condensed into a 2 minute 'fetus lives matter' speech. They could have just said that legally she has crossed the term limit for abortion instead of being so self righteous-as the size of her belly made that apparent. 

Then there is the subtle ableism. Okay fine, let's assume the filmmaker's point about how fetuses matter and babies shouldn't be aborted because of genetic defects is right. Then why show a convenient twist in which the heroine gives birth to a perfectly healthy, fair-skinned baby? Just for the climax drama? Even till the end of the film the foreign couple doesn't completely accept that they were wrong in wanting a 'normal' baby. Also in this day and age using terms like 'maansik roop se viklaang' and 'kya baccha normal hai' should seriously be prohibited. Don't be sanctimonious about abortion if you can't treat disabled babies right when they are actually born. 

Chalo yeh bhi jaane dete hai. Even the stereotyping of Muslim woman as abandoned DV/triple talaq victim-fine, one can argue that it happens in real life so wtv. But even assuming you forgive these tropes, the writing in the 2nd half is just lazy. In real life many surrogate women abandon such children because their husband and in-laws will not accept it. Over here we see that the heroine's conservative parents, who threaten to burn down the house because they think she may have married a Muslim, are shown to magically accept the kid and forgive her (multiple) lies. Why? Because he is gora, and white skin rocks that's why! (not to mention the constant emphasis on how she is still a virgin lol) The heroine is also shown as going through the extremely stereotypical Bollywood transformation where the moment she gives birth to the child she starts developing maternal feelings for him. I am not saying that this doesn't happen in real life-it is every woman's reproductive choice and some women do bond instantly with their babies. It's just that it all happens too quickly and too conveniently, and these tropes are getting tiresome-Chori Chori Chupke Chupke has already shown the same drama. Even the resolution in the end was too convenient, as someone else pointed out. Also white people adopting Indian kids has the same legal and ethical problems as them hiring Indian surrogates. 

Anyway TLDR my point is that this film basically treats commercial surrogacy and the issues surrounding it as a comedy. For some people this may be acceptable because aajkal toh waise bhi iss desh main har cheez comedy ban chuka hai. But if you are actually interested in the issue, do read up on it. 

That’s my biggest issue with this movie. Even if everything else is forgiven, this stood out as a sore thumb for me.  I have no idea why the movie didn’t dare to show the baby with actually having Down’s Syndrome and then make his parents still come back and fight for their right over him. They have shown so much sanctimoniousness anyway- with the kid being brought up by the Hindus, the Muslims and being accepted by the entire mohalle wale log, Mimi being accepted back without much of resistance, Mimi giving up her dream just like that for the baby etc., why couldn’t they show the baby being born with the said disability and still being accepted by everyone? :(

Priyodorshee thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 9

Loved the  movie.

Kriti did a nice job.

Pankaj Tripathi

Kaya65 thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5

Happy for my girl kriti🥳❤️