Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Life_Is_Dutiful thumbnail
Posted: 1 years ago

I saw a scene on Insta where Radha and the Gopis were doing gol gol ghumo dance in Shankachur's hideout. πŸ˜‚

FlauntPessimism thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5

If nothing else at least they should have kept in mind that when Dwarika was drowned Arjun was still alive (they showed that in SPK) and Kaliyuga arrived during Parikshit's Era that is after Swargarohan of Pandavas 

Why will Krishna even think of summoning Kaliyuga so early?

Fun fact Duryodhan was the incarnation of Kali Demon (master of Kaliyuga) assuming Krishna really summons him would they show a baap beti reunion with Lakshmana??

At least it will be fun to watch 

Originally posted by: Life_Is_Dutiful

I feel the writers have some kind of an underlying agenda in keeping her character. Earlier Jamvanti and Satyabhama also used to be part of the show but slowly they all disappeared. 

This show has been giving this message since last few months that marriage is a formality in Krishna’s case and probably that's why they have kept her character. They try to prove all the married couples like Sambh-Lakshmana, Balram-Revati, Mahadev-Parvati ideal couples but when it comes to Rukmini she's only shown as Radha's BFF and nothing else. Recently there was a fight between Rukmini fans and Sumellika fans on Twitter when they showed all married couples doing aarti but Rukmini did the aarti alone. They have kept her just to prove Radha-Krishna relationship is the only relationship and Krishna-Rukmini have nothing between them and the only reason Rukmini is living in Dwarka is because she's Radha's best friend. 

Yes that seems to be the only reason. They want to highlight Radha-Krishna by showing how Rukmini or marriage doesn't matter 

I just read that renowned historian R Mazumdar was of the view in original Mahabharata Ghatochchak was a very evil/unimportant character.

During Gupta Era, when epic took it's final form, the Ghatochkach character was over glorified because that was the name of their ancestor. Father of Chandragupta I (pre empire king) 

What are your opinions?

I know we are no longer discussing theories but still would like to hear your views 

Originally posted by: FlauntPessimism

I just read that renowned historian R Mazumdar was of the view in original Mahabharata Ghatochchak was a very evil/unimportant character.

During Gupta Era, when epic took it's final form, the Ghatochkach character was over glorified because that was the name of their ancestor. Father of Chandragupta I (pre empire king) 

What are your opinions?

I know we are no longer discussing theories but still would like to hear your views 

Ghatotkach was definitely a minor character in Mahabharata. He was mostly known for 2 incidents, the first one where he helped Abhimanyu marry Balram's daughter and his brave fight and death in the Mahabharata war. I'm not sure if Abhimanyu falling in love with and marrying Balram's daughter was true or not. Apparently Balram wanted his daughter to marry his favorite disciple Duryodhan's son and even humiliated Subhadra because the Pandavas were in exile then. He had promised Subhadra that he will get Abhimanyu marry his daughter but broke his marriage. After Abhimanyu married Balram's daughter this was probably the first account of close cousins marriage in mythology. 

Originally posted by: Life_Is_Dutiful

Ghatotkach was definitely a minor character in Mahabharata. He was mostly known for 2 incidents, the first one where he helped Abhimanyu marry Balram's daughter and his brave fight and death in the Mahabharata war. I'm not sure if Abhimanyu falling in love with and marrying Balram's daughter was true or not. Apparently Balram wanted his daughter to marry his favorite disciple Duryodhan's son and even humiliated Subhadra because the Pandavas were in exile then. He had promised Subhadra that he will get Abhimanyu marry his daughter but broke his marriage. After Abhimanyu married Balram's daughter this was probably the first account of close cousins marriage in mythology. 

Well to start that definitely isn't the first account. Subhadra and Arjun in themselves were first cousins with Subhadra's father Vasudev being biological brother of Arjun's mother Kunti/Pritha. Cross cousin marriages were quite common back then. Even now such marriages happen South India.

Coming back to the discussion, the story of Abhimanyu and Srilekha marriage that you narrated is a part of Bheel folklore which has many haphazard stories. It is not even remotely referenced in Mahabharata or any Puranas.  In fact IIRC correctly @Chiillii had once said that some minor local Puranas mentions Lakshman(Duryodhan's son) and Sreelekha(Balram's daughter) having been married. Although I have not read that ever, yet I find this narrative more reliable since that would explain Balram's neutrality in the war, else with his daughter and sister married into one side he would have to participate in it even if he didn't want.

Ghatotkach is overall an important character. In war he is one of the most dreaded soldiers. He has also been referenced in Aranyaka Parvan. If you exclude Krishna +Pandavas and maybe Dhristadhyum then he is among the most important characters in Pandava side

Edited by FlauntPessimism - 1 years ago
Viswasruti thumbnail

Originally posted by: FlauntPessimism

What are your opinions?

I'd love to discuss on this topic on an elaborate way. Thanks for tagging. πŸ€—

But at present I am very busy, please give me a day or two to finish that . 

I will be here soon to express my views on this toipc. 

Chiillii thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2

Ghatotkach was definitely not a minor charachter of that time. 

Problem is Abhimanyu Subhadra and Uttara get too much of footage as does Arjun in the epic narrated by Vaishyampayana because the story was told for the first time in a yagya being conducted by Abhimanyu’s grandson  . Arjuna’s heroic encounter with Shiva is narrated twice, Uttara practically a nobody gets a speaking part when in the entire epic there is only once when Sahdev speaks So who is more important Uttara of Sahadev

You need to read other Purana to understand more about a character 

Ghatothkach had two wives one was a Dasarha Princess Ahilawati and other was Moravi (daughter of Mura - commander of Narakasura) Ghato Moravi Marriage was solemnised by Krishna and Yudhishthira 

He had 3 sons Anjana Parva who dies in the war in the hands of Ashwatthama Barbareeka (born to him and Moravi) who is killed prior to the war. While 3 arrows story was a folklore what is canon is that Barbareeks Uncle Bhagadutta and his kingdoms army was fighting for Kouravas 

Meghavarna was possibly too young for war. He is mentioned as attacking  and taking over Anga and killing all surviving men of Karna’ s family as  revenge several years after the war in SkandaPurana 

Balrama had a fondness for Duryodhan Just Like Krishna had for Arjun. A similarity of attitude charachter and temperament a love or power and wealth and arrogance 

Friendship is a choice unlike family 

There is a Syamantak Mani episode in Harivansh where Satyabhama’s father is the richest guy of that time on account of Syamantak Mani that he has received as a boon from Suryadev. Initially when it gets lost Satrajit suspects Krishna who brings back and proves that he is not the thief and gets Satyabhama as a bride. Satrajit is eventually killed by Akrura Kritaverma and his brother and they abscond with the Mani. Balrama and Krishna who are attending Pandava funeral at Lakshagriha rush back and Chase them Kritaverma feigns ignorance about the whole thing and escapes his brother gets killed and Akrura runs away with Mani

Balarama wants the Mani for himself he wants to enjoy its wealth. Though it belongs to Satyabhama and through  her Krishna and he accuses Krishna of being a thief again and leaves for Mithila which is where Duryodhan joins him as a student and becomes his friend. So Balram was just as greedy of others wealth as was Duryodhan 

Balram’s mother Rohini was sister of Somdatta Bahlika and therefore cousin of Dhritarashtra and Pandu both. Samba ofcourse was married to Lakshmana

Shishupal who died in the hands of Krishna his son Dhrishtaketu died for Pandavas in the war. 

So marriage of children means alliances in some cases and in others it does not 

Pradyumna didn’t fight in the war Kritaverma did with Dwarka army on Kourava side and Satyaki did with his personal army on Pandavas side

Everybody who fought in the war had personal considerations of their own not just their in laws 

Ghatothkach is one of the most prominent characters of the story and the war (Arjun would have been dead if not for Ghatothkach as he was the only powerful warrior other than Arjuna in Pandavas side to be able to force Karna to draw out Shakti) 

He also protected the Pandavas during the second exile just like his mother did in the first exile

And all that nonsense about him being evil is just that nonsense. There is no single folklore or story in any purana that mentions even single evil act of his 

Even his marriage to Moravi is a very romantic story He was no cannibal molester kidnapper greedy usurper and simply because he was a Rakshas and has to be evil therefore nonsense as Prahlad was also an Asura 

He was the most prominent Uppandava not Abhimanyu 

Abhimanyu gets the fame as the story’s first public narration was sponsored by Abhimanyu’s grandson 

Edited by Chiillii - 1 years ago

^^^

Thankyou for replying 

That makes sense. Even I never understood the reason why RC Mazumdar made that claim. I think that comes since few recession mention Krishna wanting him dead(not just for the sake of Arjun's safety but otherwise too) and definitely Krishna wouldn't want a good person dead.(completely my opinion. He never clarifies how he concluded that)

According to his theory it was during the 300 years of Gupta rule that systematically every bad thing about Ghatotkach was removed from Mahabharata and the Puranas since all these took their final form during rhe reigns of Guptas

Regarding Balram point it is clear he didn't want to take chances and become anti whichever sides eventually wins. However I do think that if his daughter and sister were both married to Arjun and his son, he could have even dared to speak in favour of Duryodhan. 

Aside Abhimanyu Srilekha story has no mention in any Puranas, it's from same Bheel folklore where Karna ties Arjun and spends time with Draupadi. I don't find anything in that narration reliable.

I remember you once said that you read somewhere that his daughter did marry Lakshman. That IMO will give a perfect reason for him to stay neutral and speak on favour of whichever party he prefers

Shall we discuss about the various myths and folklore related to Mahabharata? I know two such myths about Rukmini's jealousy for Radha and Draupadi calling Duryodhan son of a blind man. 

Was Arjuna going on exile for entering Draupadi's chamber while Yudhisthir was inside also a folklore?