Child Marriage Restraint Act

sunshinesamuef thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 3 years ago

Various bills addressing questions on the age of consent were introduced in the Indian legislatures and defeated. In 1927, Rai Sahib Harbilas Sharda introduced his Hindu Child Marriage Bill in the Central Legislative Assembly. Under the pressure of world opinion, the social reformists in India and Nationalist freedom fighters, the Government referred the Bill to a select committee named as the Age of Consent Committee headed by Sir Moropant Visavanath Joshi, the Home Member of Central Provinces. The other members of the committee were Arcot Ramasamy Mudaliar, Khan Bahadur Mathuk, Mian Imam Baksh Kadu, Mrs. O. Brieri Beadon, Rameshwari NehruSatyendra Chandra Mitra, Thakur Dass Bhargava, Maulvi Muhammad Yakub, Mian Sir Muhammad Shah Nawaz and M. D. Sagane as Secretary.

The All India Women's ConferenceWomen's Indian Association and National Council of Women in India, through their members developed and articulated the argument in favour of raising of the age for marriage and consent before the Joshi Committee. Muslim women presented their views to the Joshi Committee in favour of raising the age limit of marriage even when they knew that they would face opposition from Muslim Ulemas.

The Joshi Committee presented its report on 20 June 1929 and was passed by the Imperial Legislative Council on 28 September 1929 and became a law on 1 April 1930 extending to the whole of British India. It fixed 14 and 18 as the marriageable age for girls and boys respectively of all communities. (Source : Wikipedia )

The Show is set in 1921. And Bondita is a pre teen. So around 13 years. So by the time this act comes out Bondita will be well above the age of 14. So they cannot annul the marriage but can divorce if it comes to it which it most definitely will given that Manorama seems to be a permanent fixture in the show now.

Barrister Babu is a fictional show & Aniruddh, Bondita, Trilochan Kaka are all fictional characters but I've grown so attached to them that it hurts to see the characters butchered in an unredeemable way. It's just that I envisioned the show & AniDita's bonding in a completely different route. I think we all have at some point.

I am ranting here on a daily basis now. But this track has gotten me all frustrated & anxious. I am sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings. 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Nathiya143 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail

Every one hates current track right now especially bon character damaging day by day .

sunshinesamuef thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Nathiya143

Every one hates current track right now especially bon character damaging day by day .

Bondita & Aniruddh both of them are butchered. But today's episode gave me a bit of solace. We got a glimpse of Bondita's rakshak babu, Shikshak babu & also Pati Babu during the flashback wali holi. But Manorama... I found her a bit weird. Yeah....she gave great advice to Aniruddh regarding Bondita but her facial.expressions look like she is falling for Aniruddh....