Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

K3G: A melodramatic, escapist and overrated film?

mintyblue thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 3 years ago

Blasphemy, I know, using these adjectives for a film which is universally loved and praised. But in my opinion the film is all of the above and more. It's just a rich man's fantasy with melodramatic overtones and the whole tugging-at-your-heartstrings bit which people like to overemphasise about the film is so contrived and forced.

I love the songs but the film neither moves me nor strikes me as remotely engaging. Even now, I just skip to the Hrithik-Kareena parts and maybe a glimpse of Suraj Hua Maddham to satiate my wanderlust and enjoy the melody.

Can someone explain me why the film is so popular and why do most ppl like it so much?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Maroonporsche thumbnail

I mean the the fact that Yash/Rahul needed 10 years to work out their differences was stupid πŸ˜† The issue the 2 had was superficial upon rewatch 

Anjalika01 thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

It's all of those things but it's also super entertaining, has good songs, great performances from all the leads and a good message at it's core, so that's why people like it.

Also of course it did get over hyped by media/critics at the time and afterwards too, after all it is a Kjo film... 

If he made a Lego house Indian media would probably declare that he built another Taj Mahal πŸ˜† 

khan.baba thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4

the only karan johar film i liked was kal ho na ho ,,,,rest kabhi khushi and kuch kuch hota hai were ekta kapoor serials alike

Uday_Shetty thumbnail
Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 4

Saw it as a kid haven't dared to go through the torture againπŸ˜†

mintyblue thumbnail

Originally posted by: Arsalan_khan

the only karan johar film i liked was kal ho na ho ,,,,rest kabhi khushi and kuch kuch hota hai were ekta kapoor serials alike

Isn't Kal Ho Naa Ho directed by Nikhil Advani?

khan.baba thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: mintyblue

Isn't Kal Ho Naa Ho directed by Nikhil Advani?

oh yeah my mistake it is by nikhil advani ....but it was from dharma production 

mintyblue thumbnail

Originally posted by: Anjalika01

It's all of those things but it's also super entertaining, has good songs, great performances from all the leads and a good message at it's core, so that's why people like it.

Also of course it did get over hyped by media/critics at the time and afterwards too, after all it is a Kjo film... 

If he made a Lego house Indian media would probably declare that he built another Taj Mahal πŸ˜† 

So I'll share this anecdote. I was in Class X and I went with my mom and sis to watch the movie. We all found it underwhelming. But when we came out of the theatre, we met this lady who is my mom's friend who was also at the movie. She went like "I loved the movie so much, I cried buckets of tears" and we were just like exchanging glances and wondering which scenes triggered her tear ducts so much! it was such an awkward moment, because we didn't know what to say! It was like a complete filmy moment!

CrimeMasterToto thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Its my guilty pleasure - It is overly melodramatic, extremely escapist and KJo is at the top of his game trying to manipulate the audience's emotions as much as he can

But I still love it 😞

The cast, the songs, the setup, the hamming, the emotions, the drama, the coincidences - all brilliant πŸ˜ƒ

Movies with such huge ensemble casts often get derailed for multiple reasons - but KJO did a fine job holding it together and retaining the entertainment value (inspite of his usual editing issues)

Anjalika01 thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: mintyblue

So I'll share this anecdote. I was in Class X and I went with my mom and sis to watch the movie. We all found it underwhelming. But when we came out of the theatre, we met this lady who is my mom's friend who was also at the movie. She went like "I loved the movie so much, I cried buckets of tears" and we were just like exchanging glances and wondering which scenes triggered her tear ducts so much! it was such an awkward moment, because we didn't know what to say! It was like a complete filmy moment!

Looool πŸ˜†

Tbh even I never understand when some people say Kjo films have made them cry...like not just this one but all Kjo films in general... like everything is so plastic and filmy, how on Earth can that trigger genuine sorrow?? I just don't get it.

To me KKHH, K3G, KHNH, etc. were definitely entertaining, but seriously I didn't cry even watching these films for the first times back in primary school πŸ˜† (so know you can guess my age haha)