Posted: 3 years ago

After watching alia trick sarangdhar instead of being mature and talking to him, I feel like all the good response her character is getting is overwhelming the makers and they are butchering her character in the name of equality and women empowerment. Imagine if the situation was other way around. People would have crucified sarangdhar. Just because she was lied to by Rahul, she doesn't have the right to cheat sarangdhar like this. She even had the gall to mask her insecurities as protective measures taken by a mother for her child. The worst was when she was comparing him to veer and insulting him. This is no different than the toxic angry young men who hurt the female protagonist just because they were hurt in past except here it is alia. I am not sure why sarangdhar is bearing all this for no fault of his own. The precap was bizzare because she had all the time in the world to be prepared for becoming a mother and it was her own choice. Nobody sprang it on her like it happened with Sarangdhar so his reaction of fear, lack of conviction was pretty normal for a guy who had no clue. if she is going to use that then that is no different than what she did before where instead of telling him the truth she made a decision for him based on something sarangdhar said hypothetically. Alia can't expect a happy reaction in a situation like that as he also needs time to process it. She hates it when people do that to her and yet she did the exact same thing to him. I have loved alia and what she stands for but lately I am not sure what is wrong with makers. 

I agree with your take on the changes in Alia's character. However, the writers in a story cannot have a character be fully consistent with initial characterization. The story won't move forward. The story only moves forward when the character goes through conflict, makes choices, and bears the consequences and thereby changes as a result. This side of Alia is not her norm. But its very relatable. If I was going through IVF after many failed relationships and had my hopes pinned on that one child that is going to make my life whole and will be mine to love and hold and only mine, i'd be a crazy lunatic trying to fend off anyone who dares to threaten that sense of security I was seeking. Morals would go to hell at that point. Thats a basic human tendency that is baser than any elitist ideologies we generally try our best to live by as educated and civilized beings. Eventually Alia would learn her actions were not the best and she'll feel guilty for it. But the refreshing part of this show is that it doesn't show Alia as perfect. It shows her as human. 

I think the makers are not up to the standard required for such a sensitive storyline .

I agree with JC. In a story, characters are faced with life situations where they have to make certain decisions, sometimes with careful consideration and sometimes with no time to process anything. We know Alia as a planner. She sees 3 steps ahead and backward before making a decision she feels confident about. In today's episode, that was basically laid out. She has meticulously planned every year of the baby, what school they will go to, what instruments they will play, what extracurricular activities they will participate and things of that nature. When she doesn't see things coming, when sh cannot control something, she panics or freezes. When Veer cheated on her and was insulting her, there were lots of moments of hesitation and shock because she did not see it coming. She couldn't say anything at the elevator when she first learned of it. And she couldn't say anything when he was insulting her and that tape went viral. Because these were moments outside of her control. Then she had time to herself and went through it in her head and found ways to protect herself., i.e telling Veer off and doing the proposal.

Flash forward to now: When she did learn about Sarang being the donor, she was initially shocked and then she started to panic. She could see her plans going haywire in front of her eyes so she tried to do everything in her control to secure it. Yes, it was immature to not tell Sarang about it out front, however, that is NOT inconsistent with her characterization. No one is perfect. I'm not perfect, you're not perfect. We as humans are hypocritical and we would like to think wee never do things we condemn others for. We are selfish and we like to protect ourselves from hurt. This is literally Alia's dream, this is what she has wanted for a really long time. When she thought it could be taken away from her, or at least it wouldn't go the way she planned it to, she panicked and made rash moves. These were not god moves but its still about controlling what she can do in her life. That essence of Alia is still there. Making conflicting decisions, hypocritical decisions, and decisions that goes against our beliefs are not necessarily inconsistent with who we are. We have to contextualize those decisions, see what's at stake and why we make it and go from there. Plus she barely knows Sarang really so it makes sense she doesn't want him around. And you're right, it takes time to process through something like this, however, all the things Alia said were also true. She took something that happened in her childhood and turned it around to wanting a child she can pour all her time and love towards. Based on Sarang's childhood he never wants to bring a child into a word where he doesn't feel he can provide the protection he has been seeking from his own father. 

Alias and Sarang's perspectives of the world is another example of how two people can go through a very similar experience yet take completely different view of it. 

Originally posted by -JC-

I agree with your take on the changes in Alia's character. However, the writers in a story cannot have a character be fully consistent with initial characterization. The story won't move forward. The story only moves forward when the character goes through conflict, makes choices, and bears the consequences and thereby changes as a result. This side of Alia is not her norm. But its very relatable. If I was going through IVF after many failed relationships and had my hopes pinned on that one child that is going to make my life whole and will be mine to love and hold and only mine, i'd be a crazy lunatic trying to fend off anyone who dares to threaten that sense of security I was seeking. Morals would go to hell at that point. Thats a basic human tendency that is baser than any elitist ideologies we generally try our best to live by as educated and civilized beings. Eventually Alia would learn her actions were not the best and she'll feel guilty for it. But the refreshing part of this show is that it doesn't show Alia as perfect. It shows her as human. 

i agree with you. I think its sarang's mistake here more than anyone elses. He dint know he was donating sperm for IVF & she dint know he was cheated. she was cheated too & recieved someone elses sperm. Now the baby is made. Not Alia's fault here. For her it was a IVF procedure which was to make her a SINGLE MOTHER.  She was not looking to get into a partnership parenting with anyone & share her rights & responsibilities with the baby. Sarang cannot land up near Alia and ask her right to be father to the baby. How much will his claim hold up under law? He wants to take responsibility of baby and be father to it. how? will he marry Alia? will she want to marry him? if he just wants to be a parent & co parent how about when he gets married to someone else & has own babies. Why would Alia like his interference in her family life as a father of the child. He should just accept that he is donor & not interfere in her personal life.

Also Alia instead of dealing with him that way should have directly told him that she did not know that her donor was being changed & she plans to be a single mother & not co parent the child with anyone. She would like to have & take full responsibilities of child & she would not like Sarang's interference & could have requested Sarang to see this as just a donation.  if needed she would go the legal way for the right on her child. Im sure sarang would have heeded to her request. I actually thought makers would go this way.

But all the drama of she telling Sarang that he is not capable to take responsibility of child him breaking down so much over it dint connect with me at all. What was he so much harping about capability & all. guy u just came to Mumbai just got a job. It takes time to be successful. Now ur crying because you cannot take responsibility of IVF baby of a single mother who firstly dosent want to share responsibilities with you. What if sarang was successful. He still shouldnt be claiming rights on the baby. The baby is Alia's. She planned for it she waited for it. Sarang was just a accidental donor. For all the humanity that Sarang shows for people where was his humanity when he decided to threaten Alia's rights on the baby by asking to share responsibility with her. It would scare any mother off. This he does after making Alia meet her mother by cheating & giving her so much pain. What if Alia was married & had a partner(considering partner would have fertility issues & sperm donation was required). would he still have asked for taking responsibility of baby. Im sure NO. But here just because Alia is a single mother he decides that he should take responsibility of baby.

I dont blame Alia here, instead she should have directly told Sarang i do not want ur interference with my baby because i do not want to share it with anyone. Its completely Sarangs fault here. He thinks he can interfere & enter into anyone's life. IDK what made him think that he should take childs responsibility when Alia is completely capable herself. And which responsibility was he talking about? financial or emotional. financial Alia is capable. for emotional responsibility he needs to have that emotional connect with alia too. right now there is no love between them. Alia cant have a random guy come in & take emotional responsibility of her child. And he still isnt thinking over  the practical emotions involved with all this. instead crying over his failed success.

Edited by naq5 - 3 years ago

Originally posted by sunaina02

I think the makers are not up to the standard required for such a sensitive storyline .

In life, there isn’t always a win win situation. Every character of a person has many shades, as humans when it comes to our emotional makeup we are filled with many baggages, and insecurities which we are forever trying to protect. Alia, like  any normal human has her triggers and anything that comes in between her things she is senti about, she pounces to protect it. Makers are trying to portray a story through the lenses of realism! They aren’t trying to build a fairy tale story where the characters are built only to suit the interests of viewers. Give the characters a chance to grow and blossom!! They story has JUST started and is beginning to form. 

Originally posted by naq5

I dont blame Alia here, instead she should have directly told Sarang i do not want ur interference with my baby because i do not want to share it with anyone. Its completely Sarangs fault here. He thinks he can interfere & enter into anyone's life. IDK what made him think that he should take childs responsibility when Alia is completely capable herself. And which responsibility was he talking about? financial or emotional. financial Alia is capable. for emotional responsibility he needs to have that emotional connect with alia too. right now there is no love between them. Alia cant have a random guy come in & take emotional responsibility of her child. And he still isnt thinking over  the practical emotions involved with all this. instead crying over his failed success.

He wants to take responsibility because of the childhood he had. He always felt terrible because his dad was always saying he is not good enough n not taking care of him. He doesn’t want the child to have to suffer n not have both parents taking care of the child. 

Originally posted by naq5

i agree with you. I think its sarang's mistake here more than anyone elses. He dint know he was donating sperm for IVF & she dint know he was cheated. she was cheated too & recieved someone elses sperm. Now the baby is made. Not Alia's fault here. For her it was a IVF procedure which was to make her a SINGLE MOTHER.  She was not looking to get into a partnership parenting with anyone & share her rights & responsibilities with the baby. Sarang cannot land up near Alia and ask her right to be father to the baby. How much will his claim hold up under law? He wants to take responsibility of baby and be father to it. how? will he marry Alia? will she want to marry him? if he just wants to be a parent & co parent how about when he gets married to someone else & has own babies. Why would Alia like his interference in her family life as a father of the child. He should just accept that he is donor & not interfere in her personal life.

Also Alia instead of dealing with him that way should have directly told him that she did not know that her donor was being changed & she plans to be a single mother & not co parent the child with anyone. She would like to have & take full responsibilities of child & she would not like Sarang's interference & could have requested Sarang to see this as just a donation.  if needed she would go the legal way for the right on her child. Im sure sarang would have heeded to her request. I actually thought makers would go this way.

But all the drama of she telling Sarang that he is not capable to take responsibility of child him breaking down so much over it dint connect with me at all. What was he so much harping about capability & all. guy u just came to Mumbai just got a job. It takes time to be successful. Now ur crying because you cannot take responsibility of IVF baby of a single mother who firstly dosent want to share responsibilities with you. What if sarang was successful. He still shouldnt be claiming rights on the baby. The baby is Alia's. She planned for it she waited for it. Sarang was just a accidental donor. For all the humanity that Sarang shows for people where was his humanity when he decided to threaten Alia's rights on the baby by asking to share responsibility with her. It would scare any mother off. This he does after making Alia meet her mother by cheating & giving her so much pain. What if Alia was married & had a partner(considering partner would have fertility issues & sperm donation was required). would he still have asked for taking responsibility of baby. Im sure NO. But here just because Alia is a single mother he decides that he should take responsibility of baby.

I agree with you to an extent. I don’t think Sarang is to blame for anything. He was completely unaware of what he was doing, he listened to someone he trusted and he was basically emotionally blackmailed into donating his sperm. I don’t blame him at all. I think it’s noble of him to want to take responsibility of a child even though he doesn’t want to bring a baby into the world. There is no need to blame Sarang because he’s a kind guy. According to his morals and beliefs he can’t pretend this is not his child no matter how it came to life. My problem is with people thinking Alia is wrong for wanting to be a single mother when that’s the mindset she went into this. Yes, a different biological father, however, that shouldn’t change the whole outcome. As much as Sarang’s heart is right in this, his emotions will cause a lot of problem for Alia who only has an objective perspective! 

Originally posted by Gobi13

He wants to take responsibility because of the childhood he had. He always felt terrible because his dad was always saying he is not good enough n not taking care of him. He doesn’t want the child to have to suffer n not have both parents taking care of the child. 

yeah it’s so interesting that Sarang and Alias similar experience led them to such different paths yes it’s converging now and I wonder how Sarang will handle this. I just hope he doesn’t say anything about Alia not being emotional because that would venture to Veer territory and that’s the farthest thing from what Alia needs. 

Originally posted by music_l0ver036

yeah it’s so interesting that Sarang and Alias similar experience led them to such different paths yes it’s converging now and I wonder how Sarang will handle this. I just hope he doesn’t say anything about Alia not being emotional because that would venture to Veer territory and that’s the farthest thing from what Alia needs. 

I don’t think he will react negatively towards alia. He will be even more resolute in his ways n probably him n Alia will make a deal of sorts to prove himself.