Views

Users

Frequent Posters

arsh_7 thumbnail
Anniversary 3 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 3 years ago

Chapter 1

The New Normal

"Kalyani, hurry up! You're going to be late!," my mom shouted. I sighed as I put on my gloves and headed downstairs. As soon as I stepped in the kitchen, my aunt and uncle rushed out of the room. You may ask, why. 

Well, it's kind of complicated. I have a rare skin disease, which is highly contagious, since I was ten. It was cureable but the treatment was expensive which my parents couldn't afford. Everyone distanced themselves from me in fear that I could pass the illness on to them. The only people who cared for me were my Aai, my cousin Goda and my Baba, who died in a horrible car accident a couple of months ago. I had spent most of my childhood in isolation and even went to a special college for disabled children in Pune, where I lived with my parents but after my father's death we had to move to Aurangabad to my grandmother, Aaosaheb's, house much to her displeasure. She, my aunt, Pallavi, and my uncle, Vivek, usually avoided me but when they didn't, they usually let me know how big of a burden I was. I was used it at this point. 

I spent almost all of my time in my room in the past couple of months but it was time for me to step out of my comfort zone and get used to living between 'normal' people. It was my Baba's dream for me to pursue good education and didn't want to disappoint him. But for that I had to go to college. *Sigh*

My mom gave me a sad smile and told me to take care of myself. I simply nodded and headed out.

I took an auto rickshaw to college. Aai had offered to come along but I had refused. She already did so much for me, I didn't want to trouble her more and besides, I had to learn to take up responsibilities.

As soon as I arrived in college I could feel everyone's eyes on me. Here we go again!  I was covered up from head to toe on a very hot day so obviously everybody was going to stare at me. But I wasn't as lucky to being able to wear all the pretty and cute clothes. I had very sensitive skin which got irritated really quickly and I got terrible rashes so I didn't want anyone to see my skin except for my face which usualy stayed rash-free. Plus I couldn't risk transmitting my disease to anyone so I never left my room without my specially made gloves.

I tried my best to ignore everyone, keeping my head low. Suddenly I bumped into someone and fell down. "You stupid girl! Can't you pay attention to where you're going?!," a stranger scolded. He picked up his phone and blew of the dust. I was busy in picking up my books when he began shouting again, "Hey, I'm talking to you! Look what you did my phone! You broke it! It was the latest model and super expensive! Are you going to pay for it?" 

I gasped as I looked at the screen. The phone sure looked very expensive and there was no way I could ever be able to pay for it. I shook my head and muttered a 'sorry'.   "I want you to look at me while I speak Miss whatever your name is." 

I raised my head and my jaw dropped as I saw him. He was so handsome. Perfect face, perfect hair and perfect body. I swear, I saw a little smirk on his face. Realizing the situation, I quickly gathered myself and my belongings and was leaving for my class when a girl with shoulder long curled black hair and a very short dress stood in front of me. She snapped her fingers and two girls instantly held me by my arms. I flinched at the sudden action. I could feel my skin burning due to the tight grip.   "Are you planning to leave without paying the money, huh?," she said eyeing me from head to toe and her eyes stopped at my gloves. "Are we living on the north pole? Why are you wearing such clothes and gloves?," she asked. I stayed silent.   "Interesting! But for now tell me how you're going to pay for the damage you caused to my boyfriend's phone." 

Nooo! He had a girlfriend! All my dreams were shattered, not that I would have a chance anyway.  

"I'm sorry but I can't," I answered. My arms were starting to burn terribly and I was trying my best to keep my emotions in control. 

"Can you please leave my arms?," I pleaded to the two girls.  "Aww, is it hurting you?," the handsome boy's girlfriend asked with a wicked smile. I was stuck in a helpless situation and didn't know what to do just when a boy came to my rescue.   "Are you guys out of your minds? Let go the poor girl! It's probably her first day here and you guys are already troubling her. And by the way, Sampada, it's not only her fault that she bumped in your dear boyfriend. He could've paid attention too, you know," he said releasing my arms out of the girls' grip. He grabbed my hand and took me away leaving everyone speechless, probably because nobody ever spoke up against them. 

He asked me what class I was in in the first period and surprisingly we were in the same one. He introduced himself as Atharv and told me that 'those' people were the rich and spoilt kids who trouble everyone who couldn't match their standards. Much to my relief, he didn't ask me anything regarding the way I was dressed. We were late for class, thanks to that Sampada girl, so we had to hear a few words from the professor. What a great start! Atharv offered me the seat next to him and I happily accepted it. I was happy to have atleast one friend. 

The rest of the day went normal, except for the whispering that accured everytime I walked past someone and the glares I got and the rude remarks from Sampada and her gang and... I guess the day wasn't normal afterall. I was more than happy to go back home but luck is never in my favour, is it? 

Sampada stopped me right at the entrance and soon I was circled by a few other familiar faces. "Kalyani, that's your name right?" She asked. How on earth did she know my name? I nodded and started looking around hoping to find Atharv but he had apparently already left. "So would you tell us why you're wearing this," she asked signalling towards my gloves. "I...well... I have to...because....because...I just... have to wear them," I stuttered and the moment I said it, I regretted it. Now they knew how frightened I was. Great!   "Oh, do you? Well, I don't think you would mind showing us your hands, would you?"  Yes,I would!    "Take of your gloves and your sweater. Let's see what you're hiding, sweetheart." 

After I didn't move, two girls walked up to me and started rolling up the sleeves and my rashes were starting to get exposed. I started to panic when suddenly someone stopped them.   "Leave her!" I turned around and saw Mr.Perfect. Was he helping me? Did I still have a chance?   "You shouldn't be wasting your time on this low standard girl. There are much more important things to do Sampu."  Okay, I take my words back. This guy was just not it. *Sigh*

Taking the off chance I quickly escaped from there and I could hear the witch shouting my name but it was too late. 

Arriving home, I quickly locked myself in my room. Not that I cried or anything but I just needed some time to myself and I was grateful to my Aai for understanding. I opened my laptop and my mood instantly improved. I had gotten a message from Kabir. Who is he? My internet best friend (because I'll never have a best friend in real life). It wasn't his real name which was understandable because of privacy and all that. It was actually a character from one his favorite movies which was coincidentally my favorite too. We started communicating through a website where you could post your reviews on new movies. I had criticised a much loved movie for the bad social message it gave and he found it brave of me to openly post my opinion knowing that I would get hate comments for it (which I did). We had slowly started texting each other a lot often discussing about movies (Did I tell you how much I love watching them. They're my only stress busters alongside with Kabir of course). We became good friends and started a private chat on that website for more privacy. He never failed to make me laugh, even when I was having like the worst day ever and that was just what I needed today.

Kabir_MR   Hi, Kallu! How did your first day at college go? Did you find a handsome guy who you can flirt with πŸ˜‰ ? 

Kalyani_D_11 Oh yes, I did 😏. But that's pretty much the only good thing that happened today.

Kabir_MR  Tell me his name and I will abduct him and bring him to you.

Kalyani_D_11 Haha very funny 😐

Kabir_MR Ikr 🀣 and what do you mean by the only good thing.

Kalyani_D_11 Well I just didn't have the best day but let's not talk about that.

Kabir_MR How about we talk about the movie that came out last week...

Kalyani_D_11 To be honest, I don't get what all the hype is about. I honestly didn't like it that much. It was such a clichΓ© love story.

Kabir_MR Says the one who fell in love with a person who she only meet a few hours ago 😁

Kalyani_D_11 Hey! I never said I love him

And the chatting continued for hours. One thing I loved about Kabir is that he never forced me to talk about stuff I'm not comfortable talking about. And just in case you're wondering: No, he doesn't know anything about my disease. I've just never had the guts to tell him so I let it be. But that doesn't make our friendship bad or weak. In fact, it's totally fine to have some secrets afterall we're only internet best friends. 

I finally wished him good night and went to bed not quite ready for the next day but I guess that's going to be my new normal. *Sigh*

Ok, first of all, I just want to let you know that this is my first attempt writing a story so please give me honest feedback because that's the only way I can improve πŸ˜Š

Any suggestions/ideas are always welcome smiley31

Posting on behalf of Melina because she was having problems with posting the chapter.

(Read the posts above and if anyone knows why that happens please let us know)

Melina20 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Kalma18

Just log out and log back in and then try posting the chapter Lina...same thing used to happen to me πŸ˜…

Noor already posted it πŸ˜…

But thank you for letting me know 😊

Melina20 thumbnail

Thank you for posting Noor ❀

Kalma18 thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Lina πŸ€— great start girl ❀️

It's a such a unique concept.... dealing with insecurities is such a sensitive topic to everyone.... Kalyani did a banging job on day 1 by keeping it together and by not paying attention to adversities...

She reminded me a lil bit of Elsa πŸ˜ƒ 

Absolutely loved the chapter...and eager to know more about Mr.Kabir and Mr. Handsome hunk 😍

Lord, Sampada is such a beeyoottcchhh...πŸ˜…πŸ˜… I'm sure Kalyani's man will put her in her place soon

Enjoyed the chapter thoroughly and eagerly awaiting your next update πŸ€—

Thanks for writing πŸ’

Melina20 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Kalma18

Lina πŸ€— great start girl ❀️

It's a such a unique concept.... dealing with insecurities is such a sensitive topic to everyone.... Kalyani did a banging job on day 1 by keeping it together and by not paying attention to adversities...

She reminded me a lil bit of Elsa πŸ˜ƒ 

Absolutely loved the chapter...and eager to know more about Mr.Kabir and Mr. Handsome hunk 😍

Lord, Sampada is such a beeyoottcchhh...πŸ˜…πŸ˜… I'm sure Kalyani's man will put her in her place soon

Enjoyed the chapter thoroughly and eagerly awaiting your next update πŸ€—

Thanks for writing πŸ’

Aww, thank you so much Minnie ❀

@bold

Yes, that's so true. That was one of the reasons why I was nervous about writing on this topic

@purple

Now that I think about it, I absolutely agree

@blue

Don't know why but that made me laugh so hard πŸ˜‚

Kalma18 thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Melina20

Aww, thank you so much Minnie ❀

@bold

Yes, that's so true. That was one of the reasons why I was nervous about writing on this topic

@purple

Now that I think about it, I absolutely agree

@blue

Don't know why but that made me laugh so hard πŸ˜‚

@bold green

I admire your courage Lina...it's a good and different story...and different is wonderful

@bold blue

Ikr πŸ˜† the minute I read it...it reminded me of Elsa

@bold red

Heheheh I tried to be as nice as possible...soo phonetically scolded Sampada 😹

Priyapriyu thumbnail
Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Anniversary 4 Thumbnail

Woohoo

It’s awesome Lina 

I have read many stories on KalMa but your concept is very rare...

You wrote it wonderfully 

I really enjoyed reading it 

And looking forward for more updates 

arsh_7 thumbnail
Anniversary 3 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Finally got time to read this wonderful chapter

And I must say that it was worth the wait β€οΈ

Are you sure this is your first time writing?

The texting part gives me Cinder & Ella vibes 

Kalyani has suffered a lot...poor girl πŸ˜’

Sampada will always remain evil πŸ˜‘ 

Atharv, as of now seems like a sweet guy but please don't make him nicer than Mr Perfect because I will develop a second lead syndrome

I love Kalyani's inner monologue 

I really like the concept so please do update quick πŸ˜ƒ

Melina20 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Priyapriyu

Woohoo

It’s awesome Lina 

I have read many stories on KalMa but your concept is very rare...

You wrote it wonderfully 

I really enjoyed reading it 

And looking forward for more updates 

Thank you so much for the support Priya πŸ’ž

It really means a lot 

Melina20 thumbnail

Originally posted by: arsh_7

Finally got time to read this wonderful chapter

And I must say that it was worth the wait β€οΈ

Are you sure this is your first time writing?

The texting part gives me Cinder & Ella vibes 

Kalyani has suffered a lot...poor girl πŸ˜’

Sampada will always remain evil πŸ˜‘ 

Atharv, as of now seems like a sweet guy but please don't make him nicer than Mr Perfect because I will develop a second lead syndrome

I love Kalyani's inner monologue 

I really like the concept so please do update quick πŸ˜ƒ

Aww..thank you so much Noor β€οΈ

I'm so glad you liked it

@bold

OMG, thank you so much for telling me. This whole time I was wondering where I had read something similiar but I couldn't remember anything though it's literally one of my favorite books

@green

Looks like someone has watched too many K-dramas πŸ˜‰

And to find out what happens to Atharv, you'll have to keep on reading πŸ˜‰

I will update on Saturday again πŸ˜ƒ