Ghum Hai Kisikey Pyaar Meiin

Chandrakala, Sandhya, Madhuri, Sweety......

chirpy_life19 thumbnail
Posted: 3 years ago

I was just wondering how does it feel like having your name changed all of a sudden after being used to it for many years. But Chavan bahus seemed to be cool about it. Even Ashwini didn't take Sai's side this time and was insisting her for the name change. I could throughly feel Sai's pain in that scene. Is the name change a seriously followed thing? I mean I thought it was just a normal ritual and the girls can keep their original names but here they showed it like that's a must and the new name will be effectively used post marriage. 

Bhavani's original name was Chandrakala (quite old fashioned but suits herπŸ˜†It has got that Rani Chandrakala of so and so kingdom vibeπŸ˜†)

Ashwini's name was Sandhya (in her case I like the later one than the former name) 

Sonali was Madhuri previously (ok both are fine) 

Sweety changed to Karishma (Now I understand why Mohit chose this name for her. It's in accordance with his passion for actingπŸ˜†)

Now I have a question will the girl get back her original name if she gets divorced (like in the case of Shivani) or will she continue with the new one?

Somehow the name change scene from today's episode looked forced and unrealistic to me. They suddenly introduced some different names as Chavan bahus former names. But was this all necessary?? Since we are used to calling Bhavani as Bhavani, Ashwini as Ashwini, Sonali as Sonali, Karishma as Karishma from day 1 of this show we didn't find the so called changed names unusual but that Chandrakala, Sandhya, Madhuri, Sweety definitely sounded unfamiliar. 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

..Peppermint.. thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

I was wondering too, what happens in case the girl is divorced. πŸ˜• And what happens to official documents?

Your name is your identity, and like Sai said, it's there till you die. 

Optimist_d thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

I know a lady, who is not a Maharastrian, changed her name just so that it can be in sync with her husband's name. Like, if his name refers to Lord Vishnu, she changed her name so that it can mean Lakshmi Devi.

I don't support this but my understanding on this ritual is that, they change the bride's name in accordance to the groom's family. Like they are lot of horoscope or somethings related to name. There are lot of people who don't give nicknames to their children just because of this reason. 

But is it still followed? And why should girls change their name after marriage. Even in this era, if we are doing this, then what's the point of being educated? And that's where Sai comes. She just doesn't follow all the rituals blindly. She is so different from ITV FLs. 

And you are asking about divorce? Do you think people like Bhavani even consider divorce an option? According to them, if a girl gets married, she should stay there till her last breath. But would love to know Shivani's side of story regarding this.

Just imagine, she had 3 divorces. So, birth name, name given by 1st husband, 2nd husband and 3rd husband. How many names does she have and which one is she currently using? πŸ€£

Rajashri389 thumbnail

Actually in some places they change the names of the new bride but officially her name will be original name only in husband's House hold they will use the new name. It has happened in my family. 

Iam new here 

Name Rajashri 

kankabhor thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

It happens but it is not very common. I am Maharashtrian and no one in my family or extended family changed the first name. Only my one friend changed and it was forced. She was not informed beforehand and suddenly during wedding, they announced it. She could not go back or fight in front of all guests. 

And this name will be used to call her in the house and legally it is not changed. Legally girls change surname and middle name (they take husbands name) which also I find wrong. 

janhav thumbnail
Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 3 Thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: ..Peppermint..

I was wondering too, what happens in case the girl is divorced. πŸ˜• And what happens to official documents?

Your name is your identity, and like Sai said, it's there till you die. 

In case of a divorce, you revert to your original name as usual. In any case, picking of this new name as per Maharashtrian and Sindhis customs is for ritualistic reasons. Not everyone follows it to the point where they would have the woman apply for the process of change of name. 

Simply picking a name at the time of a Ceremony does not change her name on the documents unless the due process is followed. Many do it and many don't. It's really just a choice and depends on the couple and the families. In rigid families it would be followed.

janhav thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: kankabhor

It happens but it is not very common. I am Maharashtrian and no one in my family or extended family changed the first name. Only my one friend changed and it was forced. She was not informed beforehand and suddenly during wedding, they announced it. She could not go back or fight in front of all guests. 

And this name will be used to call her in the house and legally it is not changed. Legally girls change surname and middle name (they take husbands name) which also I find wrong. 

Agree with youπŸ‘πŸΌ. Same here. In our families too, we've just done these ceremonies for the fun part. Even the pandits know. Where it is forced, it is wrong. Whether the first name or the surname. But where there are progressive families, there are also rigid. 

Actual this Karmsamapti is followed by the bride's brother pulling the groom's ear as well. Ab Sai ke taraf se bhi someone should pull Virat's ears also.πŸ˜† usko toh zaroorat bhi hai 

kankabhor thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

This content was originally posted by: jankiraghav

Agree with youπŸ‘πŸΌ. Same here. In our families too, we've just done these ceremonies for the fun part. Even the pandits know. Where it is forced, it is wrong. Whether the first name or the surname. But where there are progressive families, there are also rigid. 

Actual this Karmsamapti is followed by the bride's brother pulling the groom's ear as well. Ab Sai ke taraf se bhi someone should pull Virat's ears also.πŸ˜† usko toh zaroorat bhi hai 

Ohh yeah Vaada boy needs some ear pulling πŸ˜†

Roses4Moira thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

This content was originally posted by: jankiraghav

sunny hai na.. Waise be itv hai toh dubara shaadi dekha sakte hai.. Iss baar family be involve hoge.. πŸ˜†

janhav thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: D_e_s_t_i_n_y

sunny hai na.. Waise be itv hai toh dubara shaadi dekha sakte hai.. Iss baar family be involve hoge.. πŸ˜†

In the Tamil version, they do. πŸ˜„