What are the benefits of eating Ragi (Finger Millet)?

keerthifood thumbnail
Posted: 3 years ago

Then, here are some highlights on that you need to know-

1. Ragi is loaded with Calcium:

Ragi flour is one of the best non-dairy source loaded with calcium when compared to other major grains.It is loaded with 100 grams of Ragi that contains 344 mg of calcium. Calcium is essential for healthy bones and teeth and prevents osteoporosis - a disease which weakens the bones. It is extremely beneficial for growing kids and can be consumed in the form of Ragi Porridge.

2. Ragi helps in controlling Diabetes:

The grain’s seed coatis abundant in polyphenols and dietary fibres as compared to rice, maize andwheat. However, the low glycemic index lessens food cravings and maintains the digestive pace, consequently, keeping blood sugar within the safe range. It is best to add it to your morning meal or have it for lunch in order to keep your metabolism on track the whole day.

3. Ragi reverts Skin Ageing:

Ragi works wonders for maintaining ageing factor and youthful skin. Vital amino acids like Methionineand Lysine make the skin tissues less prone to wrinkles and sagging. It is al soone of the very few natural sources of Vitamin D derived from sunlight which isa carrier molecule for calcium that accounts for vitality.

4. Ragi Battles with Anemia:

Ragi is an excellent source of obtain natural iron and a boon for anemic patients and also for those with low haemoglobin levels. Once ragi is allowed to sprout the presence of VitaminC tends to increase and lead to easy absorption of iron into the blood stream.For the optimum absorption of iron, you can consume it in the form of Ragi Dosaor Ragi Balls with plenty of loaded vegetables and a generous squeeze of limeor a bowl of tangy Sambar.

5. Ragi relaxes the Body:

Regular consumption of ragi is highly beneficial in dealing with extreme health conditions of anxiety, depression and insomnia. The presence of antioxidants, mainly Tryptophan and amino acids, helps as they work as natural relaxants. Ragi consumption is al souse ful for migraines.

6. Ragi helps in Weight Loss:

The high amount of dietary fibre combination keeps the stomach full for a longer and prevents unwanted cravings. This in turn, leads to a minimised appetite and well-balanced diet. Ragi flour will help to lower your blood sugar levels in the body by activating insulin. The best way to consume cooked ragi is to add in your breakfast that makes the most of its qualities and keep you full throughout the day.

Thus these were some of the essential health benefits of ragi. I hope this post was helpful. 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ausieindie thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

wow, something new for me. 

Any recipe using Ragi? Thanks a lot!

Never tried this dish, so no idea :/

ausieindie thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Koviljika34

Never tried this dish, so no idea :/

I have searched on a few recipes using ragi and i saw that there is a Roti made of Ragi. Seems interesting to how it taste :D

AedenDsouza thumbnail

Thanks for the valuable information regarding the benefits of eating Ragi. 

Brackwom thumbnail

Thanks for sharing this post, I never heard about Ragi before.