Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-Khushiyana- thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 17 years ago
Flop shows of the year

Aisa Des Hai

Sony had chosen Aisa Des Hai Mera to fill in the vacuum created by Indian Idol- 2 with a hope that the serial would keep the prime time viewers glued to their seats. It is said that in an attempt to give a taste of Yash Chopra's Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge and Veer Zara, the channel zeroed down on veteran writer Lekh Tandon's story and even went to London in order to shoot the initial few episodes. But even that could not attract the viewers.

Resham Dank

As for Resham Dank, the scriptwriter Atish Kapadia was made the scapegoat and was accused of changing the track of the show which resulted in diminished viewership of the serial. Initially, when the serial started, producer J.D. Majithia claimed that the serial will run for 12-14 months; but it's not even five months old now and its time to say good bye.

Akela

Fireworks Production's high profile and off beat show Akela had the hunky Sudhanshu Pandey possessing special powers of interacting with the dead. It's so called Hollywood feel couldn't save its fate and it has literally lived up to its name.

Antariksh

Similar is the case of Antariksh which was launched just three months back. The production company even affirmed that after seeing the special effects in the serial, people will forget the movie Krish. The programming people of Star Plus had high hopes from the so called modern Ramayan, but in vain. Though the channel claims otherwise, insiders have confirmed the news of its axing.

Viraasat

Another setback was Viraasat. Very few people are ready to accept that the biggie has bitten the dust. "Viraasat is going off-air for three months and they would bring back the serial on a new time slot," says Aman Verma hoping for the best but it's still not clear whether its in safe territory or not.

Vaidehi

Aruna Irani tried to use all the tricks in the trade to make Vaidehi sizzle but failed miserably. It began as a weekly then became a daily.

Johny Ala Re

And Johny Ala Re got low ratings in spite of a big budget, countless revamps and the big Bollywood ace, Johny Lever.

Kahin To Hoga

It's also noteworthy that Ekta Kapoor too couldn't keep the magic alive in Kahin To Hoga. Seems, the serial did well only due to Amna Sharif and Rajiv Khandelwal's hit jodi. Because after Kahndelwal left in a huff, the TRPs were never the same again.

http://www.deccan.com/TV%20Guide/TV%20GuideDescription.asp#F lop%20shows%20of%20the%20year
-Khushiyana- thumbnail
Bhavna skits with Johny!

Bhavna Balsaver is all set to do a couple of skits with Johny Lever in Zee's Johny Ala Re. The actor who made a mark for proving her mettle with her excellent

Comedy queen: Bhavna Balsaver

comic timing in shows like Zabaan Sambhal Ke and Dekh Bhai Dekh.
" In Johny Ala Re I get to play a little girl, a press reporter and various other characters with Johny Bhai. I took up the show because I wanted to work with Johny and the director is a friend also I think it's an entertaining show with a different concept," smiles Bhavna who was seen in Zee Smile's Home Sweet Home.
Along with television the actor is currently doing a play titled Mera Naam Joker which has been written by her.

Not many know that Bhavna is an animal lover to the core and has five dogs in her house. "I've been very fond of animals since childhood and have had nothing less than three dogs at a time. I've had squirrels, tortoises; dogs and fishes at home in the past. Currently besides having the five dogs at home, I also feed and sterilize the colony dogs. I am running for the dream run this year during the Mumbai Marathon to protect animals," points out the animal activist who is content with her personal life and will only take up a role if it provides creative satisfaction in spite of getting offers pretty often.
Here's an actor who is genuinely zara hatkey.
-Khushiyana- thumbnail
Do you know John Rao from Kamkam village in the Prakasam district of Andhra Pradesh? Probably not.

But the name of Johny Lever, comedian extraordinaire, will surely ring a bell, if not wring a few smiles out of the most morose person.

Johny Lever is Bollywood's most sought-after comedian, with sold-out comedy shows across India and roles in several plum projects. He has become an essential part of every film today.

No film is complete without Johny Lever. He may be earning crores of rupees today, but has not forgotten his roots: He still goes to the jhopadpatti he lived in at King Circle.

So it all started in the bylanes of his village, and then in school where he would imitate his school teachers. Of course, like all kids, Johnny loved movies while growing up, though he was not allowed to see that many.

He started doing stand up comedy at the age of 10 years. Though Johny dropped out of school after Class VII, he got a job at Hindustan Lever, Mumbai, for 5-6 years and regaled his colleagues with stand-up comedy.

When the time came to perform on stage, he decided to retain the Lever bit and it caught on.

He got his first break in the movie Dard Ka Rishta, after the late Sunil Dutt saw him perform at a charity show organised by Kalyanji-Anandji.Though Johny has his own style, he draws inspiration from the late Johnny Walker,
Mehmood, Kishore Kumar and Jagdeep.

Johnny says he holds the role he played in Baazigar closest to his heart, because he feels that the audience saw him as an actor of substance.

He adds that he likes to work with directors who give him something new, something fresh and challenging and does not hesitate in turning down those who want him in their movies just because his name sells.

With his short stature, dark skin and a passion for mimicking people, this southern star does not quite fit the larger-than-life illusions Bollywood spins.

But Johnny Lever can not only carry an entire movie on his shoulders, but also attract sold-out crowds to his one-man stage shows.

At a show in Atlanta, Johny brought the house down with his impersonations of Michael Jackson and his spoof of Indians in the United States: 'You have a $3 billion budget for flyovers here? Our bribe budget exceeds that!'

He has an incredibly mobile face, a lithe body that he can still contort into incredible shapes, and is often touted as the Jim Carrey of India.

Johny Lever is the undisputed comedy king of Bollywood films and wants his son Jesse to continue his legacy.

You will soon see him in movies like Ek Haseena, Ek Deewana,Phir Hera Pheri and Saawan:The Love Season.

And of course, on your Television screen! Johny Aala Re airs only on Zee TV Monday to Wednesday at 10 pm.
-Khushiyana- thumbnail
ohnny Lever
Johnny Lever " I am from Andhra Pradesh and I guess mimicry, a sense of comic timing is something that is inborn. All of us are hams in some way or another, but not only can I capture the person?s essence, I have an uncanny ability to learn languages, their nuances, without understanding the language. I once spoke with an African man for 30 minutes in his language without knowing it and he had no idea I didn?t know a word. I can copy a person?s walk and mannerisms down to a T. I think it runs in the family", - Johnny Lever

QUICK FACTS:
Johnny Lever
Birth name: Johnny Rao
Nickname: Lallu
Date of Birth: 7 January 1950
Sign:
Height:
Weight:
City: Andhra Pradesh
Mother:
Father:
Siblings:
Children: son Jesse
Marital status: married
Spouse: Sujatha
Religion: christian
Education: Andhra Educational Society
Favorite color:
His hero:
His heroine:
Other facts:
Hobbies:
Debut Film: Kunwara
Languages: hindi, english
Johnny Lever

More photos of Johnny Lever >>>

FILMOGRAPHY:
Saawan: The Love Season
Deewane Huye Pagal
Phir Hera Pheri
Ek Haseena Ek Deewana
Khullam Khulla Pyaar Karen
Padmashree Laloo Prasad Yadav
Hatya: The Murder
Meri Biwi Ka Jawaab Nahin
God Only Knows!
Janasheen
Market
Koi... Mil Gaya
Main Prem Ki Diwani Hoon
Chalte Chalte
Andaaz
Indian Babu
Kash... Aap Hamare Hote
Khushi
Kucch To Hai
Chalo Ishq Ladaaye
Karz
Kehtaa Hai Dil Baar Baar
Annarth
Jaani Dushman: Ek Anokhi Kahani
Ankhiyon Se Goli Maare
Humraaz
Awara Paagal Deewana
Yeh Kaisi Mohabbat
Pyaar Diwana Hota Hai
Tumko Na Bhool Paayenge
Yeh Mohabbat Hai
Yeh Dil Aashiqanaa
Aamdani Atthanni Kharcha Rupaiya
Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham...
Ajnabee
Lajja
Asoka
Nayak: The Real Hero
Love Ke Liye Kuchh Bhi Karega
Chori Chori Chupke Chupke
Censor
Aashiq
Farz
Raju Chacha
Ghaath
Beti No. 1
Aaghaaz
Shikari
Fiza
Hamara Dil Aapke Paas Hai
Tera Jadoo Chal Gayaa
Deewane
Joru Ka Ghulam
Hum To Mohabbat Karega
Dil Hi Dil Mein
Hadh Kar Di Aapne
Badal
Phir Bhi Dil Hai Hindustani
Dulhan Hum Le Jayenge
Kaho Naa... Pyaar Hai
Mela
Khatarnak
Krodh
Kunwara
-Khushiyana- thumbnail

Home | Scoop! & News | Movies | Music | Celebs | Gallery | Down South | Jokes | Downloads | eCards | Search
Johnny Lever | Filmography | Biography | Picture Gallery | Scoop & News | Fan Club

Johnny Lever
(Actor)

Johnny Lever Filmography
Padmashree Laloo Prasad Yadav ( Sunil Shetty, Mahesh Manjrekar, Johnny Lever, Masumeh Makhija)
Tera Jadoo Chal Gaya ( Abhishek Bachchan, Kirti Reddy, Johnny Lever)
Kunwara ( Govinda, Urmila Matondkar, Johnny Lever)
Chori Chori Chupke Chupke ( Salman Khan, Rani Mukherjee, Preity Zinta, Johnny Lever)
Love Ke Liye Kuch Bhi Karega ( Saif Ali Khan, Fardeen Khan, Aftab Shivdasani, Twinkle Khanna, Sonali Bendre, Johnny Lever)
Ajnabee ( Bobby Deol, Kareena Kapoor, Akshay Kumar, Bipasha Basu, Johnny Lever)
Baadshah ( Shah Rukh Khan, Twinkle Khanna, Rakhee Gulzar, Amrish Puri, Johnny Lever)
Khoobsurat ( Urmila Matondkar, Sanjay Dutt, Paresh Rawal, Johnny Lever, Om Puri)
Joru Ka Gulam ( Govinda, Twinkle Khanna, Kader Khan, Johnny Lever, Ashok Saraf)

Johnny Lever News & Scoop!
Paresh Rawal speaks on the art of comedy 14th June 2006
Phir Hera Pheri : Humour overdose dilutes the impact 10th June 2006
Phir Hera Pheri : Review 10th June 2006
The summer of sequels in Bollywood 18th Apr 2006
Deewane Huye Paagal – Review 25th Nov 2005
Rati Agnihotri to star in Catholic Church's Bollywood debut 14th July 2005
Padmashree Laloo Prasad Yadav: Excitement has a new name! 16th Nov 2004
Shetty – an incurable flirt 03rd Sept 2004

Johnny Lever Biography
-Khushiyana- thumbnail
Baazigar
By Kavita Chhibber

India's comedy king Johnny Lever in an exclusive interview with Little India.

With his short stature and dark skin, this high school drop out, with a passion for mimicing people, does not quite fit the larger-than-life illusions Bollywood spins in its stars. But Johnny Lever can not only carry an entire movie on his shoulders and attract sold-out crowds to his one-man stage shows, he is that rare comic star who can sell a film once he signs up for it.

At a recent three-hour stage show in Atlanta, Johnny brought the house down with his impersonations of Michael Jackson and his spoof of Indians in the United States: "You have a $3 billion budget for flyovers here? Our bribe budget exceeds that!"

Little India

He has an incredibly mobile face, a lithe body that he can still contort into incredible shapes, and is often touted as the Jim Carrey of India. In an exclusive interview with Little India, Johnny Lever talks of what it means to be the undisputed comedy king of Bollywood films.

So how did it all begin?

Well I am from Andhra Pradesh and I guess mimicry, a sense of comic timing is something that is inborn. All of us are hams in some way or another, but not only can I capture the person's essence, I have an uncanny ability to learn languages, their nuances, without understanding the language. I once spoke with an African man for 30 minutes in his language without knowing it and he had no idea I didn't know a word. I can copy a person's walk and mannerisms down to a T. I think it runs in the family. I was only four when I started imitating my father and grandfather. My son was only two when he was mimicking Dev Anand and the then Prime Minister Shri Narsimha Rao. My mother is an illiterate, simple woman who still speaks with a heavy south Indian accent, but the moment she sees someone, she starts imitating that person's accent , their mannerisms. If a Punjabi woman came to see her, her accent will change while talking to her as will her mannerisms.

So it all started in the by lanes of my village, and then in school where I would imitate my school teachers. Of course, like all kids I loved movies while growing up. Though we were not allowed to see that many. I started doing stand up comedy since I was 10. The mohalla wallahs used to love it, but my father used to get very aggravated at what he thought was a sheer waste of time. I dropped out of school after 7th grade, but he got me a job at Hindustan Lever. I worked for Hindustan Lever in Bombay for 5-6 years as did my father and used to regale my colleagues with stand up comedy. When the time came to perform on stage I decided to retain the Lever bit and it caught on.

So how did you get in to movies?

I used to perform for Kalyanji-Anandji in their charity shows and Sunil Dutt was often the chief guest. Dutt sahib saw the potential in me, and one day told Kalyanji and Anandji, "This boy has great talent and I will soon give him a break in films." He did - with Dard Ka Rishta and I am very grateful to him. Since then I haven't looked back. With God's grace my work has been consistently appreciated and I have not had to struggle as hard as others.

I have always felt it is a rare mimicry artist who can also become a good actor, for the simple reason that when you imitate others so often, you lose your own individuality. Your mannerisms, voice, your acting become tinged with the combined essence of other people. Fortunately I have managed not to fall in the trap, otherwise it is easy to be stereotyped in films where you may play a clone of some star or the other.

Little India

It is such a fine line and plus a lot of comedians and mimicry artists lose that sense of comic timing when they come on screen

How did the celebrities you mimicked in stage shows react?

I think this is the only area where people love you and there are no jealous or negative reactions, especially if you make sure you perform with respect. Shatrughan Sinha had heard for several months that some guy called Johnny Lever mimics him in stage shows. He asked who is this guy and was told, he is short and dark and strange, but the moment he comes on stage and starts it is as if it's you, even his face, which doesn't resemble you takes on your features.

So he showed up at a function where I was performing and came back stage. I was very awe struck and scrambled to offer him a chair. He said well where is this Johnny Lever? And I said shyly, I'm Johnny, Shatru ji and he said: Oh tum ho? Tabhi itna khayal rakh rahe ho (oh it's you, no wonder you are being so hospitable) and then he smiled and said I have come only to see you. When I came on stage, I just walked across like him, copying his gait to such perfection that his jaw dropped and then spoke a dialogue in his voice. He was quite dazed. The same thing happened to Sanjeev Kumar.
I write original dialogues that these stars have not spoken, but when I speak them you will think it's their work. I once imitated Ashok Kumar using certain words he never uses and floored this guy who knew him, He could not believe I had never met Ashok Kumar, though he kept wondering where Ashokji had spoken those words that were not a part of his vocabulary usually.

Who are the comedians you idolized growing up?

The late Johnny Walker, and later of course Mehmood Sahib, Kishore Kumar Sahib and Jagdeep Sahib. It amazed me how Johhny Walker had this one ordinary, but unique sounding voice that never changed. He delivered all his dialogues for decades in just that voice and still brought the house down. I had the honor of meeting him a few years ago and then we became neighbors. The day he said he was so proud of my performance in a film was the day I felt I had finally arrived. His children live here in the U.S. and I meet them every time I am here.

Little India

Mehmood Sahib of course came and changed comedy with his versatility, the many voices he used and he is also a very generous hearted and loving man. Kishore Kumar Sahib often called me over to his house and what a gifted artist he was. I have enjoyed a wonderful relationship with all of them. Johnny Walker always told me, don't ever let success go to your head. It was funny initially when ever every one said, oh my God you will touch the skies, I really didn't understand the truth in that compliment.
I would say these guys are weird and try to escape their applause. When it did finally dawn to me that I was indeed blessed with this gift, it made me even humbler. Besides look at Jim Carrey, look at Omar Sharif from Pakistan, these are comic geniuses. I feel very humbled when I see them.

Omar Sharif is brilliant and so quick on the uptake, though he says he can never do what I do, but then I can never do what he does. We are all gifted in some way or the other, and now I try to give back by advising and helping young, up and coming comedians. This gift is not mine to keep and the more you give the more you receive.

In the movie, Fiza you led a laughing club. I know a few years ago a Bombay physician had introduced this concept of getting together in a group and laughing, and it has caught on in other cities in India also. Did the director pick up the idea from that? Your role in Love ke Liye Kuch Bhi Karega was amazing too.

The director may have picked up the idea except, except that when I was told, "We want to do something on the laughing club," the camera was on and the script...did not exist! So I had to improvise and create the entire scenario and character. That happens all the time with me, but I'm not complaining as it gives me the opportunity to be creative and improve on my roles.

At the same time today, I also feel that I need a director who will inspire me and extract my best. Writing my own script at a short notice isn't that exciting, and often I don't give it my 100 percent.

I think Love Ke Liye Kuch Bhi Karega was the first role in a long time that was well written and they didn't ask me to overact. I walked away with a few awards for that one. I try not to get stereotyped. Even if I am asked to play a drunk in say four films, I will work on my characters and each film will have a different kind of drunk. After all isn't that what happens in real
-Khushiyana- thumbnail
ust one day to save your soaps
Nivedita Mookerji
Saturday, December 30, 2006  00:51 IST

CAS for cable TV comes into effect tomorrow; there is no grace period

NEW DELHI: It's official. The conditional access system for cable television comes into effect in the notified areas of Mumbai, Delhi, and Kolkata on December 31 and there will be no grace period to make the transition.

The CAS enables a viewer to watch TV channels of his choice through a set-top box and pay only for those. For free-to-air channels (Rs77 plus taxes), set-top boxes are not required.

From December 31, your pay channels will go blank unless you hurry up and get yourself a set-top box to enable the CAS. The option to stay connected to your favourite soaps and films is to subscribe to the direct-to-home (DTH) services offered by Dish TV and TataSky.

According to Jagjit Singh Kohli, CEO, Wire & Wireless (of the Essel Group), "There is tremendous demand suddenly for set-top boxes for CAS." He said the combo schemes announced by Wire & Wireless, among others, have played a role in popularising the CAS.

Estimates suggest that only around 20 per cent of 2 million cable TV homes in the CAS notified areas in the three metros will have set-top boxes by the cut-off date. But Kohli was confident that the numbers would rise to 80 per cent within a few weeks. Hathway Cable CEO K Jayaraman made a similar assessment.

An industry source said that some broadcasters may make their pay channels free-to-air for a while to enable a smoother transition to the CAS.   

"Some popular pay channels turned free-to-air in Chennai some three years ago when CAS was implemented in that city," he said.

For instance, STAR Vijay, a Tamil channel, is free-to-air in Chennai; elsewhere it is a pay channel.

But a STAR TV spokesperson said there is no such plan. ESPN India managing director RC Venkateish also denied any such move. Some multi-system operators (MSOs), however, are offering discounted rates on pay channels and attractive rental schemes for the set-top boxes.

Meanwhile, DTH service providers are seizing their opportunity. TataSky has announced a promotional six-month free subscription. One can avail of this offer till January 10. Ordinarily, the monthly tariff is Rs300.

On Friday, the Essel Group's Dish TV matched the TataSky offer across metros. But the subscriber will have to pay Rs2,950 plus Rs200 towards the hardware and a month's tariff. Dish has also announced a rental scheme for DTH hardware in the CAS-notified areas.