Kate Winslet regrets working w Woody Allen and Roman Polanski

Maroonporsche thumbnail
Posted: 3 years ago

https://ew.com/movies/kate-winslet-regrets-working-with-woody-allen-roman-polanski/?utm_campaign=entertainmentweekly_entertainmentweekly&utm_content=new&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_term=5f5a9d309ce301000129b62e

Kate Winslet regrets working with Woody Allen and Roman Polanski: 'What the f— was I doing?'

By Maureen Lee Lenker September 10, 2020 at 05:35 PM EDT

AD

SaveFBTweetMore

Woody Allen, Kate Winslet, Roman Polanski

TONY BARSON/FILMMAGIC; BERTRAND RINDOFF PETROFF/GETTY IMAGES; ANDREAS RENTZ/GETTY IMAGES

Oscar-winning actress Kate Winslet says she now regrets working with the controversial filmmakers Woody Allen and Roman Polanski.

In a new interview with Vanity Fair, Winslet, 44, discussed how she has been re-evaluating many of her career choices at this stage of her life, including some of the directors she's collaborated with. "It's like, what the f— was I doing working with Woody Allen and Roman Polanski?" she said. "It's unbelievable to me now how those men were held in such high regard, so widely in the film industry and for as long as they were. It's f—ing disgraceful."

Winslet didn't let herself off the hook for her past choices. "I have to take responsibility for the fact that I worked with them both," she said. "I can't turn back the clock. I'm grappling with those regrets but what do we have if we aren't able to just be f—ing truthful about all of it?"

Winslet appeared in Polanski's 2011 film Carnage, an adaptation of the hit Broadway play God of Carnage. She worked with Allen more recently, on 2017's Wonder Wheel, which drew attention at the time of release as the #MeToo movement was gaining steam.

Allen has been the subject of public scrutiny for decades, first for his marriage to Soon-Yi Previn, the adopted daughter of his former partner Mia Farrow. In 1993, he was accused of abusing his adopted daughter Dylan Farrow. She publicly addressed the allegations for the first time in a 2014 open letter published in the New York Times, in which she accused Allen of sexually assaulting her when she was 7. Allen has long denied the allegations.

Allegations against Polanski stretch back further. In March 1977, he was arrested and charged with raping then-13-year-old Samantha Geimer. He was indicted on six criminal charges, including sodomy, sex with a minor, and rape by use of drugs. He pleaded guilty to only one of the charges: unlawful sexual intercourse. But Polanski fled to Europe in 1978 and has not returned to the United States since.

Since 2010, four additional women have accused Polanski of sexually assaulting them while they were minors. He has denied all such charges. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences voted to expel him from its ranks in 2018.

Winslet previously expressed "bitter regrets" over her decisions to work with certain Hollywood "men of power" during a speech at the London Critics' Circle film awards in 2018, though she did not name names.

Representatives for Winslet, Polanski, and Allen did not immediately respond to EW's request for further comment.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

TotalBetty thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Yeah sure you regret it now after 2016 metoo movement

She didn’t know these decades old proven allegations when she chose to work with them? 

Edited by BettyA1 - 3 years ago
TotalBetty thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Meryl Streep have Roman Polanski standing ovation at the Oscars 

She said in an 2009 interview she’s really sorry he’s in jail

https://youtu.be/WNrsV_o0KYo

Sharpener thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: BettyA1

Meryl Streep have Roman Polanski standing ovation at the Oscars 

She said in an 2009 interview she’s really sorry he’s in jail

https://youtu.be/WNrsV_o0KYo

🤢

Chasa thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

another fakeass like JLaw. As if she didn't know what was going on back then. Hollywood celebrities are just as hypocritical like Indian Celebs.

Equine thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail

All of these female actors are such hypocrites. Everyone knew that the types of Polanski, Harvey are creeps but still worked with them for fame and fortune. Meryl even called Harvey as a God. 

Casting couch is one thing but child exploitation is a whole different level of a sin.

HearMeRoar thumbnail

They're ALL hypocrites - BW, HW, all other Woods. Sometimes, I think it comes as part of artist gene. A sort of narcissistic selfishness.

Equine thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Chasa

another fakeass like JLaw. As if she didn't know what was going on back then. Hollywood celebrities are just as hypocritical like Indian Celebs.

Indian celebs are much better than Hollywood celebs. Atleast, Bollywood ppl constantly don’t lecture the public about “decency” or “civil discourse”. Hollywood stars are such a “holier than thou” snobs.

Hello_kitta thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

Similar hypocrite like swara bhaskar and Sonam Kapoor. Shouting about feminism and patrichary . But becomes dewaani Infront of salman khan. And defend women abuser .

2RsFan thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5

They are hyprocites. I mean everyone used to thank Harvey Weinstein at the oscars every year