Sharad Malhotra on Naagin 5: I'm used to playing hero, was surprised..

made-in-charms thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 3 years ago

EXCLUSIVE: Sharad Malhotra on Naagin 5: I'm used to playing hero, was surprised when I was offered Veer's role.

Sharad Malhotra for the first time is seen playing an antagonist in Naagin 5. In a very short time, his performance as Veer has already got fans of the show talking. Sharad, in a candid chat with Pinkvilla, revealed that when he was approached for the role, he was definitely surprised as no one ever imagined him playing a grey character in his 15 years career on television. He also revealed that he welled up watching the reaction to the performance. 

"Initially when I was offered Naagin 5, I had this perception that I was going to be the hero. But then I was corrected saying that no, Ekta Ma'am wants you as the antagonist, as the villain and that completely took me by surprise. It was something which I never expected," he exclaimed and added, "Considering that I was doing TV for last 14-15 years, nobody had the guts to offer me the negative lead. By guts, I mean that nobody visualised me like this. I have been playing only hero or the protagonist, the positive guy for the longest time, I played a warrior, a sanskari beta or pati but never a grey character. I am forever going to be grateful to them for this opportunity, Ekta just threw a googly."

He further shared how he went cold feet on first day of shoot. "On the first day of shoot, I was cold feet because I am used to playing a hero, I walk and talk like a hero but right here she wants Veer to be a brass, evil, kamina but when he walk, he gives a rat ass about anyone. He doesn't believe in love and is all about lust. Such a man is difficult to find up here. I had never done such a character and hence I was very excited. The first episode when it aired, I did not watch it. I usually watch my episodes but this time I didn't. After a while, I went online, me and my wife, and I was overwhelmed seeing the reaction. I welled up."

Upon the pressure of TRP and living upto the expectations of people, Malhotra asserted, "The moment I took up Naagin, I knew the pressure is going to be through the roof. There is a different fan frenzy about it so I knew that if I am stepping into this, either there will lot of trolling or people will love you unabashedly. We have seen stellar cast in the past as well. I personally felt Hina Khan looked gorgeous, Dheeraj Dhoopar looked fab, Mohit Malhotra looked the character. Taking the baton from there, the pressure is going to be there but it is up to us as actors how much we let that affect us. For me, the TRP numbers have never affected me, for me my character has to connect with the audience, TRP comes later for me."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7_mffZjNk8&feature=youtu.be

PS : Not sure if it has already been posted or not. So posting it.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

IfritAmbrose thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4

Aww..Sharad, you're doing very good our Cheel Baby🦅❤️

adoreyou thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

He has a lot of respect for this industry. I usually don't follow or watch any interview , but this was so entertaining.

He & his wife reacting to the viewer's reaction is so sweet.

He's excited to portray the antagonist this time. As much as I hope he turns positive but I truly enjoy his character being grey , I hope he stays the same for most part of the show. 

PS : This just kinda bugs me on how Mohit might have checked it as well but its mostly people trolling him. Though I love how much he has improved.

Mages thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 9 Thumbnail + 6

aww when he n his wife watch it online seeing the response he had tears of joy❤...yeh to hona hi tha he did such an phenomenal job as Veeranshu Singhania and he is perfectly doing justice to Aakesh legacy set by Dheeraj

veer is not an antagonist he is grey its difficult to maintain the dark and light shades both together in the character and form it grey and i have no trust in EK and her team seeing previous irritating blunders but sharad brings in naunces that enhance the grey shades and layers in veer that naunces has maintain the GREY in his character

sharad is doing a phenomenal job as veeranshu singhania

fantasy is all abt imagination along with the makers and writers even actors needs to think out of the box how to bring in extra shades and layers to make it life infront of you and sharad just done that he is following EK's view and what is written on papers at the same he brings in his extra naunces and vision into his character and the result is infront of us

Edited by Mages - 3 years ago
_SuMmEr_LoVe_ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 6

Dear Sharad, 

You’re killing it as Veer 🔥😍😘

Edited by _SuMmEr_LoVe_ - 3 years ago