Downgrading female characters in the show

silvermoonlight thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 3 years ago

Pre lock down this was my go to show! 

I didn’t have that much time so this was the only show I would watch on my lunch break at work. 

I loved the sweet relationship between Nia and Amber, the sarcastic but hearty friendship between Amber and Hakim and the sweet classy romance scenes between Amber and Guneet (minus where he started pampering her like a lovesick teen)

Randeep brought a freshness to the show. His chemistry with Guneet was amazing (him wiping her tears was so sweet). His subtle competition with Kabir wasn’t overdone. His relationship with Amber had respect but he also stood up for himself. Then CV shipped him off to America just like that ..

Then tensions arose between Kabir and Nia due to Swara. Swara a confident investor...someone Nia looks up to. However things seem to simmer down and they were on better terms

lockdown happens 

Rishi is brought in and to make him all knowledgeable and encompassing, Swara and Nia are downgraded into ‘typical stereotypical jealous women’ who all of a sudden are more in tune with their sex drives than their work ethics. 

The CV need to step away from this horrible downgrading of female characters as vamps /b****y. I absolutely hated that fight between Guneet and Nia cause neither would say that shit pre lockdown. Both were made to look like emotional hot headed women having a typical ‘cat fight’ . 

Pre lock down Nia would not have done that email stunt. It was typical immature shit and I was disgusted at the way both Nia and Swara were portrayed. 

Guneet, Swara and Nia were smart women in their own way ..not these silly emotional characters whose brains have been sucked out of their heads 

Bring back the original essence of MDKD and give the female characters of the show some respect !

Edited by silvermoonlight - 3 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Bana thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2

Yes I am also upset about the way Swara has been downgraded from smart independent mature young lady to bitchy bimbo, Niya alternates between deluded dad-protecting devi & dumbo digging her own grave, Guneet has gone from high EQ sunny trusting disposition to low EQ cribby embittered disposition.

Wonder if the motherly Maasi will also soon turn sly seductress & keep Ambar from getting back with Guneet.

ShinyMishka thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Bana

Yes I am also upset about the way Swara has been downgraded from smart independent mature young lady to bitchy bimbo, Niya alternates between deluded dad-protecting devi & dumbo digging her own grave, Guneet has gone from high EQ sunny trusting disposition to low EQ cribby embittered disposition.

Wonder if the motherly Maasi will also soon turn sly seductress & keep Ambar from getting back with Guneet.

There are two directions they can go with Maasi. Ambar-Guneet patch up will happen soon, so Niya will need to suck up her irritation with Guneet. After all, she berated Guneet because her dad was hurt, so if he is happy and in a relationship she wouldn't want to get in the way of that, despite any personal feelings. Now, because this show has become quite predictable, I bet Niya will still try to present Maasi as better choice for dad's "dulhan". Maasi will either be the understanding, motherly figure that catches on to Niya's plan and makes her see sense in how she shouldn't play with her dad's life and feelings, or the sly seductress that fuels Niya's distrust of Guneet so she can have Ambar to herself.  I very much hope it's the former, because if they choose the cliche latter option they will likely go for the "desperate divorcee" angle, which in itself is a sexist stereotype of single women. 

I'm hopeful that once Ambar-Guneet love track starts back up we will get old Guneet back. Writers made her bitter for the easy way to generate cheap drama, but the plot won't need this pretense for much longer, not if they actually want to make the audience become invested in a real Amneet relationship. 

Swara is still very redeemable. She hasn't actually said or done anything manipulative, despite how Niya badmouths her. If anything, Niya has proved that Swara's b***hiness towards her is warranted. Professionally she has been downgraded quite a bit, but since this mentorship competition is over maybe writer will now remember that Swara is a successful business owner in her own right and WeNet is her client. 

Niya is the only one miles from redemption. Rishi is only adding fuel to the fire. Maasi will either be her saviour or the devil. Both baap-beti are completely self-absorbed but I can see where Ambar is getting closer to making real attempts at bettering himself while Niya keeps regressing more and more. 

We also forgot one female- Kajal. Kajal is every day getting dumber and dumber. She wasn't shown to be the best and brightest before, but she was bubbly and part of a talented team that churned out successful projects. Now she is a "co-founder" of a business that everyone seems to have forgotten about, making no money, and is far too invested in her friends' ridiculous love triangles like some insipid gossip girl. 

All these female characters had pride in being modern, independent working women, now they're like typical saas-bahu serial types. 

Satrangi_Curls thumbnail

Seriously!! Thank you for bringing this up! I totally agree to both your points. 

There's nothing wrong with showing the emotional side of female characters, because they are human after all, but they are professionals as well and that the writers seem to have forgotten. I'm hating to see this amazing show being ruined like this, I hope they really get a grip on the show back. ❤️

silvermoonlight thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5

After watching today’s episode I have little hope the CV will redeem this show

Most stupid ‘cat fights ‘ between Nia and Swara

sick of this shit 

If this continues I’m dropping this show 

risha_krp thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

I recently caught up with all the post-lockdown episodes. Its like I am watching a totally different show altogether. 😭

stormfly13 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 3

Isn't this the story of every indian serial? In Pavitra Rishta Onir said that by marrying Purvi he gave her an identity and this shows producer was a women. In Laado (which was a show about women empowerment BTW smiley29) Vishal said he will give Meera identity by marrying her. In Madhubala Madhu said being RK's wife is her identity. These are the things that I know of. I am sure there are thousands of example like this. Indian Television industry is female dominating. But the shows always showed that women always need a man in her life. Her life is worthless without a husband. The show Shakti is about the right of transgenders in the society (smiley37). But those who saw the show knows that it is absolutely crap. The transgender needs acceptance from the normal people in the society. But all the show did was showing how transgenders deserves a husband. Because in real world Men=Happiness. How can a women even a transgender be happy without a man? 

Even in yesterday's episode of this show when Swara passed comments on both Niya and Rishi's character Kabir only defended Niya. Why? Because "Aurat ki izzat nazuk hoti hai". He didn't defend Rishi because he didn't feel the need of doing that. He knew no one would remember the comments about Rishi because he is a man.

Also Swara's approach was like Niya is at fault for giving Rishi "advantage" but Rishi is not at fault taking them. 

These are all the examples how ITV have downgraded females for years.

Sorry for ranting this long.

ariyabestfan thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: stormfly13

Isn't this the story of every indian serial? In Pavitra Rishta Onir said that by marrying Purvi he gave her an identity and this shows producer was a women. In Laado (which was a show about women empowerment BTW smiley29) Vishal said he will give Meera identity by marrying her. In Madhubala Madhu said being RK's wife is her identity. These are the things that I know of. I am sure there are thousands of example like this. Indian Television industry is female dominating. But the shows always showed that women always need a man in her life. Her life is worthless without a husband. The show Shakti is about the right of transgenders in the society (smiley37). But those who saw the show knows that it is absolutely crap. The transgender needs acceptance from the normal people in the society. But all the show did was showing how transgenders deserves a husband. Because in real world Men=Happiness. How can a women even a transgender be happy without a man? 

Even in yesterday's episode of this show when Swara passed comments on both Niya and Rishi's character Kabir only defended Niya. Why? Because "Aurat ki izzat nazuk hoti hai". He didn't defend Rishi because he didn't feel the need of doing that. He knew no one would remember the comments about Rishi because he is a man.

Also Swara's approach was like Niya is at fault for giving Rishi "advantage" but Rishi is not at fault taking them. 

These are all the examples how ITV have downgraded females for years.

Sorry for ranting this long.

Yah that's true..ye television ki duniya aise hi he..

Hero ka character kaise bhi ho chalega..means he can have one night stands (with vamp in effect of wine) n all..aur usake baad bhi heroine hero ko maf kar degi..aur upar se ye bhi prove karegi ke ye sara vamp ka akeli ka kiya dhara he..hero ne toh kuch kiya hi nahi🤣

Aur agar heroine kisi aur ladke ke pass bhi dikh jaye toh hero ko badi jelilousy hoti he n he get ready to get suspecious about her her character🥺disgusting..

But it's not only in serials..its fact of our society..a women must have man in her life..If she don't have man her life is worthless that's the mentality of society..

Satrangi_Curls thumbnail

Of course they ask lesbians who's the man in your relationship, like it's two women, together, why do you need a man? 

I absolutely hated the fact that Kabir took Nia's side even when she was wrong and Swara was just knocking some sense into her. I agree her manner of speech was disgraceful but her point about being adults in a relationship and that Nia had no place/say in their relationship was right. 

Nia's backlash was idiotic. Like what was she trying to defend? Accept that you made a mistake and get over it, stop interfering in their lives.

I loved the way Guneet handled Amber's roses. 

P.s. can we write a petition/letter to the CVs to stop showing this stupid catfight nonsense? 

rishani77 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

After lockdown I was looking forward to watch this show again, only Indian serial that I watch but what a let down! 

Seems like cv's are in full speed, more heroes for Niya, Amber in Devdas mood, Gunnel Jim's sparks gone, what is happening? And the office scenes, sorry, headaches for me. Let's see how it goes, waiting for the Date, but already loosing interest with this show...