Not calling name of husband?

Horizon566 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 3 years ago

I just want to know all your thoughts on the the way the women in our epics or at that time used to call their husbands like Draupadi used to call her husbands either Arya or by their other name.Even now some women call their husband in this way and they get the label of being backward.What do u all this is it regressive for women as the media and movies show?

Edited by Horizon566 - 3 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

HearMeRoar thumbnail

Originally posted by: Horizon566

I just want to know all your thoughts on the the way the women in our epics or at that time used to call their husbands like Draupadi used to call her husbands either Arya or by their other name.Even now some women call their husband in this way and they get the label of being backward.What do u all this is it regressive for women as the media and movies show?

Panchali calls all Pandavas by name many times in text. Only TV shows have otherwise.

FlauntPessimism thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5

I guess even today many women don't call their husbands by names. That's personal choice not anything regressive if you ask me

Horizon566 thumbnail

Originally posted by: FlauntPessimism

I guess even today many women don't call their husbands by names. That's personal choice not anything regressive if you ask me

Yes u are right its their personal choice.But women in olden times did use to say their husbands name indirectly.Was this thing in manu smriti?And if not then where did this come from and is this rule (whoever made this) regressive?

Edited by Horizon566 - 3 years ago
Horizon566 thumbnail

Originally posted by: HearMeRoar

Panchali calls all Pandavas by name many times in text. Only TV shows have otherwise.

Yes in the text she didn't call Pandavas Arya or something but she also didn't directly call them like whenever she talked to yudhishthir she called him dharamraj or something else but never Yudhishthir.

surabhi01 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 7

I have heard that by if  wife call her usband name  then husband  ki age  decrease hoti hai 

Don't know how much it is practically true 

But in my personal view  bhrama ji ne jitna aayu   kisi ki likh diya at that time of birth  then woh  aayu na ghat sakti hai aur na bhad sakti hai 

surabhi01 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 7

Some time draupdi use to call  to yudhistar by these name

1o king 

2 O bharat 

Don't know whether she is use to call  yudhistar as swami or nath 

https://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/m03/m03028.htm

Edited by surabhi01 - 3 years ago
Horizon566 thumbnail

Originally posted by: surabhi01

Some time draupdi use to call  to yudhistar by these name

1o king 

2 O bharat 

Don't know whether she is use to call  yudhistar as swami or nath 

https://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/m03/m03028.htm

Yes in the serials they show Panchali calling Pandavas Arya but in the text she didn't but at the same time didn't call him by his real name.In the same way sitaji too called ramji Raghav or something else but never ram in VR.

Chiillii thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2

In public, both husband and wife was addressed by their formal patronym.

Sita would call Rama as Raghava. While Rama would call her Vaidehi/Janaki. This rule was for everyone not just husband and wife. In public every one was addressed formally to show respect. 

Yudhishtir and his brothers would be addressed as Pandava or Bharatha  or Partha.  Krishna would be addressed as Draupadi

However for women since they left their maternal home and entered a new kingdom post marriage,  they would also be sometimes formally addressed by name of the kingdom they came from

Kousalya from Kosala, Kaikeyi from kekeya. Gandhari's from Gandhar and Krishna as Panchali

In private conversations given names were used. By both husbands and wives. 

HearMeRoar thumbnail

Originally posted by: Horizon566

Yes in the text she didn't call Pandavas Arya or something but she also didn't directly call them like whenever she talked to yudhishthir she called him dharamraj or something else but never Yudhishthir.

She does call him Yudhishtira.

She does call all of them by given names.

I've actually yet to see a spot where she calls them Arya or Swami or Nath ðŸ˜†

Edited by HearMeRoar - 3 years ago