Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Unfair_Salman thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 4 years ago

Originally posted by: MahanalayakKarn

As for Deepika... no way. Maybe Sushmita or Priyanka in their younger days. No Deepika. EVAAAHHH!!!

1. She simply doesn't fit the beauty bill.

2. There is no way Deepika can bring the kind of strength to her performances a role like Panchali needs.

Beauty wise, I don't believe any actress ( past or present) completely fits. PC and Sush come the closest. Acting wise, the closest one I can think of is probably Nitya Menon. Or Vidya.

acting wise Tabu would've done great job too but her frame is too big to visualize her as Draupadi. Vidya has a classic beauty type features that's why I feel she'd not only nail acting wise but would fit in look wise as well but not now.

Edited by Unfair_Salman - 4 years ago
Unfair_Salman thumbnail

Originally posted by: Mannu_ahuja

Sai Pallavi maybe. Okay this might be a stretch but I am a total fangirl for her๐Ÿ˜†

never heard of her. who is she?

The last leading Bengali actress who had fascinated me was Mimi Chakrabarty.

Unfair_Salman thumbnail

Originally posted by: Hiranur-demir

she was very good (as per my friends)I am watching the old Mahabharat and asked few Indian friends their take on Mahabharata most of them were fan fan girling/boying on Pooja I have not watched SPMB but the impact she left on audience surely speaks about her range.

Is it true it's her first show ? Heard she was a model before โ“

I've only seen her anchoring on Zoom TV planet Bollywood News almost a decade ago and in a Pepsi ad with Ranbir. That's it.

@springkissed : No. obviously I didn't mean that there's no better actresses than her in India but when it comes to play Draupadi on-screen big or small, nobody's better to fit the bill, was my point.

Koel100 thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Pooja was good won't deny, but she's way too exaggerated and hyped because tv twitter fan junta usually like to hype underdogs to make it seem they have a liking for acting chops, because c'mon let's accept Rupa Ganguly is still widely known as Draupadi but outside no one talks pooja for her portrayal of Draupadi while aham and srj have junta in real life too rooting for their performances, speaks much I guess

Regional cinema has many good actress who maybe can pull it off, especially the malyalam bunch of actor's

HearMeRoar thumbnail

Originally posted by: Koel100

Pooja was good won't deny, but she's way too exaggerated and hyped because tv twitter fan junta usually like to hype underdogs to make it seem they have a liking for acting chops, because c'mon let's accept Rupa Ganguly is still widely known as Draupadi but outside no one talks pooja for her portrayal of Draupadi while aham and srj have junta in real life too rooting for their performances, speaks much I guess

Regional cinema has many good actress who maybe can pull it off, especially the malyalam bunch of actor's

Actually most of the younger gen don't know Rupa who I think was a better actress. Pooja IS the face of Panchali until someone else comes along. 

Aham was eclipsed by her and SRJ. Part of it was the writers' mistake. They were so busy trying to justify Karna they completely lost the essence of the original character. TBH, they did the same horror with Krishna. Nuance seems to have been beyond their capabilities.

Aham was actually a better choice for Arjun IMO. He had that internalizing quality which Arjun had. Plus, he'd have looked better with Pooja. Shaheer was too chocolatey to be believable as a warrior. Plus, he couldn't act to save his life.

Edited by MahanalayakKarn - 4 years ago
anjs thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: Unfair_Salman

like who? I can only consider Anushka Shetty from outside Bollywood. I don't think talented leading actresses exist anymore in Bengali cinema.

Well, you haven't seen all the talent yet....

The original as in BRC? Since BRC made a complete mess of the character Vyasa wrote and changed her into a revenge thirsty b**** instead of the awesome force she was, it can hardly be considered a template to compare against. BRC made Krishna reprimand Panchali when in epic, each time she spoke, Krishna actually did what she asked. 

But yeah, Star Plus Panchali was also not Vyasa's Panchali. The Panchali from the epic was an awesome woman, the finance minister and citizen liaison of Indraprasth, pandith, a woman with enough martial prowess to throw down both Jayadrath and Keechak. She was the woman who lectured Krishna, not the other way around. Star Plus made her into Krishna's puppet. And she never, ever made that silly vow about not trying her hair!

I was incensed watching the post dice hall scenes. They gave Krishna HER lines! Why? Why, why, why? Even in the pre Bhagavat Yana scene, Krishna got her lines on dharma/adharma. It's not as though KRISHNA needed propping up. Then, there were all the extra lines they added to justify K boy in the sexual assault he perpetrated. The real Panchali hardly knew he existed until the dice hall, and even there, she ignored him and spoke to the elders.

Pooja did fit the bill in terms of beauty and strength. The characterization was poor.

Hey can you help me out where can I watch or read (English or Turkish) this version of Mahabharat you just wrote about.

I am watching the BRC Mahabharat and though I like the actress who is portraying draupadi the character is not at all what you are describing. In simple terms she is a head strong character. But it seems draupadi has many shades which the makers of both old and new failed to capture

anjs thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

The original as in BRC? Since BRC made a complete mess of the character Vyasa wrote and changed her into a revenge thirsty b**** instead of the awesome force she was, it can hardly be considered a template to compare against. BRC made Krishna reprimand Panchali when in epic, each time she spoke, Krishna actually did what she asked. 

But yeah, Star Plus Panchali was also not Vyasa's Panchali. The Panchali from the epic was an awesome woman, the finance minister and citizen liaison of Indraprasth, pandith, a woman with enough martial prowess to throw down both Jayadrath and Keechak. She was the woman who lectured Krishna, not the other way around. Star Plus made her into Krishna's puppet. And she never, ever made that silly vow about not trying her hair!

I was incensed watching the post dice hall scenes. They gave Krishna HER lines! Why? Why, why, why? Even in the pre Bhagavat Yana scene, Krishna got her lines on dharma/adharma. It's not as though KRISHNA needed propping up. Then, there were all the extra lines they added to justify K boy in the sexual assault he perpetrated. The real Panchali hardly knew he existed until the dice hall, and even there, she ignored him and spoke to the elders.

Pooja did fit the bill in terms of beauty and strength. The characterization was poor.

If she had the prowess to throw keechak down, why was Bhim involved in his assassination ?

HearMeRoar thumbnail

Originally posted by: anjs

If she had the prowess to throw keechak down, why was Bhim involved in his assassination ?

There is a  diff between throwing down and escaping and actually killing a trained wrestler, right? 

A regular woman wouldn't be able.to do either. Panchali clearly did according to Vyasa. That doesn't mean she could actually kill the men.

HearMeRoar thumbnail

Originally posted by: Hiranur-demir

Hey can you help me out where can I watch or read (English or Turkish) this version of Mahabharat you just wrote about.

I am watching the BRC Mahabharat and though I like the actress who is portraying draupadi the character is not at all what you are describing. In simple terms she is a head strong character. But it seems draupadi has many shades which the makers of both old and new failed to capture

I don't know about Turkish version. The English translation of the accepted Critical Edition is expensive to buy. It's on Amazon. Sanskrit version is free online.

The KMG version is free to read on Sacred Texts website. But be warned: it has a lot of interpolations. Still, the Panchali in it is a scholar, a minister, a forceful woman, not the stubborn chick shown by BRC or the weepy woman in Star version

Edited by MahanalayakKarn - 4 years ago