Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

K-Shandra thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 4 years ago

As a fanfic writer who has several accounts over several platforms, because inevitably you have to go where the readers are, I applaud the initiative, it however does not solve any of the immediate problems writers (and readers) experience on these platforms.  

So, as a practical person, I will list them.  

From a writer's perspective, better feedback and rating systems are essential. And by this I don't mean the like button at the bottom. Fanfiction.net has a nice feature which not only lists overall views but also views per chapter, location of your readers and number of daily, weekly, monthly, yearly visitors to all your stories (or a single story or chapter). This information is important to developing writers because it helps you to understand where your readers are located (who's connecting) and where they are losing interest in your story (disengaging). These stats often guide a writer back onto track (why are readers disengaging) and go a long way into improving writers and getting them to actually finish a story. 

What most fanfiction sites and archives forget is that they are working with "developing" writers. And it is very easy to become discouraged when the views and stats are not what you would like them to be. But understanding your readers and where they are disengaging from your story helps authors to identify issues, correct them and grow as a writer - And THAT is all fanfic sites actually offer their writers: Exposure and a chance to grow and improve your skills - which you would not have gotten in the professional market. 

This is why writers want sections like hot stories, story of the day, reader suggestions, favourite lists  - they want exposure, while readers want someone to sort through the slush and identify stories worth reading (traditionally, the job publishing editors do).  This was why whattpad introduced the watties - it provides unique content for their site while offering a vetting system for the top stories. Both writers and readers benefit.   

From a reader's perspective, while fanfic readers are very forgiving when it comes to fanfiction, because they love the characters, there are some major irritations when it comes to reading fanfics. 

Fanfiction for readers is like a quagmire, and finding something you want or like to read is often the toughest feat. That's why favorite reading lists and fan suggestions are so popular.

The eyeballs or views are not accurate indicators of a good stories - this is because the system can be gamed in the same way fake followers can be purchased online. It's a social media issue sites will spend an eternity on, in an attempt to correct. But making it harder to game the system is what will create reader confidence.

Again I'm going to refer to fanfiction.net because I feel they got that balance right.

The filter system is set (read no #tag keywords or buzz phrases). And while it may sound limiting, it is very liberating for readers who know what they like and want to read.  

Any fan understands that one associates or identifies with certain characters in a show These are your main filters, the show and characters. 

Certain aspects of one's favorite characters you don't want to read about (I don't want to read how badly my characters want to kill each other). So this would indicate Genre. Limit this to 2. Serious writers/readers know where there work/pleasure classifies. 

While I love reading I don't always have time to read a 100,000 word purple prose fanfic, so word count should be an optional filter.

Maturity Rating of stories should be an option, with the option for all settings or individual settings.

Finally,  status, while many readers don't mind waiting (impatiently) for story updates, many prefer to only read stories that have been completed. 

These settings work - because I know I can go to fanfiction and withing 4 minutes I will have found something to read that might be to my liking. 

A review option is mandatory, but try to keep them together, because many reviews are only like a sentence long. (This is important for writers as reviews are the first indication that you've gone wrong somewhere) 

General issues, as a fanfic manager or site owner (Yes, was that for a site once).

Explain to authors the value of a good summary (even insist on a decent one). Explain to them that readers make decisions based on this - and since they are asking of someone to invest time in reading their story, they should also invest the time to do a decent summary.  For forums there should be a subtitle setting that can be activated for fanfics/certain forums (this looks like a BB forum- not certain which version though), have a look at that option as well.

Explain to your writers that gaming the system is useless: Good stories will be found and will be read. Genuine readers have their own little networks of communication: as a writer you want bonafide access to those, which only a good story will give you.  Readers quickly identify authors whose work and style they like, and no amount of "gaming" or "gearing" will get everyone to like your story. And while doing a few hundred words as an update everyday may draw numbers, it frustrates readers, who will eventually disengage. Whether they are in a forum or dedicated fanfic site.

While copyright protection is important. Advise your writers that once it is on the internet no one can control it. There will always be individuals who will steal or claim rights to other's work, they are caught out when readers start following them and realize that their knowledge of whatever they claim to have written is limited or does not correlate. Readers quickly identify style and tone inconsistencies, and since no one likes being cheated, readers are most severe in their judgement of such individuals. Their own little networks buzz and these "Authors" quickly lose their following. 

Fanfic Authors should also consider copyright infringement a compliment - Your work was considered good enough to copy. It's never nice, but it means you have done something right. In fact some Authors even purposely post work on what was pirate bay just to create buzz - because if it's pirate-worthy it's read-worthy. And if you're really miffed at the person ask them a question only you know the answer to (like upcoming works or chapters), and then hammer them on their answer. 

And most importantly, tell your writers to grow a thick hide. Their work will be criticized, liked, not liked, even abhorred. They should respect everyone's opinions - as readers gave them the time and respect before forming an opinion.  Just because they can write it does not give them the right to be disrespectful when others don't like what they are doing. Once they manage this, they are well on the way to becoming actual authors.    

And to end off, as I have now ranted long enough: Go have a look at Fanfiction.net's filters. They are simple but exceedingly effective. I have not updated anything there for over 3 years and I still get a lot of views, reviews and requests. Granted the site is American based, but there are fans and readers the world over. Good shows and good stories are found, as long as the filters used to find them are effective.

surabhi01 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 7

I agree if story is good  then  more and more people will automatically come 

Rest I   agree these are very good suggestions. Like as That   filtration of words counting , summary of stories    . These features will be  let reader know with in  little time  whether to proceed reading any fan fiction or not   and also  reader can read fan fiction according to their convenient

Edited by surabhi01 - 4 years ago
adeelayub786 thumbnail

fan fictions news layout is working superbly and all the posts looks so good.

MochaQueen thumbnail

is it working already?

Leenaaa thumbnail
Anniversary 5 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Nah

vijay thumbnail

Originally posted by: K-Shandra

As a fanfic writer who has several accounts over several platforms, because inevitably you have to go where the readers are, I applaud the initiative, it however does not solve any of the immediate problems writers (and readers) experience on these platforms.  

So, as a practical person, I will list them.  

From a writer's perspective, better feedback and rating systems are essential. And by this I don't mean the like button at the bottom. Fanfiction.net has a nice feature which not only lists overall views but also views per chapter, location of your readers and number of daily, weekly, monthly, yearly visitors to all your stories (or a single story or chapter). This information is important to developing writers because it helps you to understand where your readers are located (who's connecting) and where they are losing interest in your story (disengaging). These stats often guide a writer back onto track (why are readers disengaging) and go a long way into improving writers and getting them to actually finish a story. 

What most fanfiction sites and archives forget is that they are working with "developing" writers. And it is very easy to become discouraged when the views and stats are not what you would like them to be. But understanding your readers and where they are disengaging from your story helps authors to identify issues, correct them and grow as a writer - And THAT is all fanfic sites actually offer their writers: Exposure and a chance to grow and improve your skills - which you would not have gotten in the professional market. 

This is why writers want sections like hot stories, story of the day, reader suggestions, favourite lists  - they want exposure, while readers want someone to sort through the slush and identify stories worth reading (traditionally, the job publishing editors do).  This was why whattpad introduced the watties - it provides unique content for their site while offering a vetting system for the top stories. Both writers and readers benefit.   

From a reader's perspective, while fanfic readers are very forgiving when it comes to fanfiction, because they love the characters, there are some major irritations when it comes to reading fanfics. 

Fanfiction for readers is like a quagmire, and finding something you want or like to read is often the toughest feat. That's why favorite reading lists and fan suggestions are so popular.

The eyeballs or views are not accurate indicators of a good stories - this is because the system can be gamed in the same way fake followers can be purchased online. It's a social media issue sites will spend an eternity on, in an attempt to correct. But making it harder to game the system is what will create reader confidence.

Again I'm going to refer to fanfiction.net because I feel they got that balance right.

The filter system is set (read no #tag keywords or buzz phrases). And while it may sound limiting, it is very liberating for readers who know what they like and want to read.  

Any fan understands that one associates or identifies with certain characters in a show These are your main filters, the show and characters. 

Certain aspects of one's favorite characters you don't want to read about (I don't want to read how badly my characters want to kill each other). So this would indicate Genre. Limit this to 2. Serious writers/readers know where there work/pleasure classifies. 

While I love reading I don't always have time to read a 100,000 word purple prose fanfic, so word count should be an optional filter.

Maturity Rating of stories should be an option, with the option for all settings or individual settings.

Finally,  status, while many readers don't mind waiting (impatiently) for story updates, many prefer to only read stories that have been completed. 

These settings work - because I know I can go to fanfiction and withing 4 minutes I will have found something to read that might be to my liking. 

A review option is mandatory, but try to keep them together, because many reviews are only like a sentence long. (This is important for writers as reviews are the first indication that you've gone wrong somewhere) 

General issues, as a fanfic manager or site owner (Yes, was that for a site once).

Explain to authors the value of a good summary (even insist on a decent one). Explain to them that readers make decisions based on this - and since they are asking of someone to invest time in reading their story, they should also invest the time to do a decent summary.  For forums there should be a subtitle setting that can be activated for fanfics/certain forums (this looks like a BB forum- not certain which version though), have a look at that option as well.

Explain to your writers that gaming the system is useless: Good stories will be found and will be read. Genuine readers have their own little networks of communication: as a writer you want bonafide access to those, which only a good story will give you.  Readers quickly identify authors whose work and style they like, and no amount of "gaming" or "gearing" will get everyone to like your story. And while doing a few hundred words as an update everyday may draw numbers, it frustrates readers, who will eventually disengage. Whether they are in a forum or dedicated fanfic site.

While copyright protection is important. Advise your writers that once it is on the internet no one can control it. There will always be individuals who will steal or claim rights to other's work, they are caught out when readers start following them and realize that their knowledge of whatever they claim to have written is limited or does not correlate. Readers quickly identify style and tone inconsistencies, and since no one likes being cheated, readers are most severe in their judgement of such individuals. Their own little networks buzz and these "Authors" quickly lose their following. 

Fanfic Authors should also consider copyright infringement a compliment - Your work was considered good enough to copy. It's never nice, but it means you have done something right. In fact some Authors even purposely post work on what was pirate bay just to create buzz - because if it's pirate-worthy it's read-worthy. And if you're really miffed at the person ask them a question only you know the answer to (like upcoming works or chapters), and then hammer them on their answer. 

And most importantly, tell your writers to grow a thick hide. Their work will be criticized, liked, not liked, even abhorred. They should respect everyone's opinions - as readers gave them the time and respect before forming an opinion.  Just because they can write it does not give them the right to be disrespectful when others don't like what they are doing. Once they manage this, they are well on the way to becoming actual authors.    

And to end off, as I have now ranted long enough: Go have a look at Fanfiction.net's filters. They are simple but exceedingly effective. I have not updated anything there for over 3 years and I still get a lot of views, reviews and requests. Granted the site is American based, but there are fans and readers the world over. Good shows and good stories are found, as long as the filters used to find them are effective.

Thanks K-Shandra.

It helps us a lot when we get such detailed feedback. Our idea is certainly to make the best FanFic platform from India.

And we will continue developing it even after itโ€™s launched as we get more feedback and feature suggestions.

Regards

Gold.Abrol thumbnail

Vijay sir hope we have this by Feb first week ๏ฟผ I am waiting anxiously ๐Ÿ™‚

vijay thumbnail

Originally posted by: GOLDPEN30

Vijay sir hope we have this by Feb first week ๏ฟผ I am waiting anxiously ๐Ÿ™‚

I also hope the same dear. We are anxious and excited at the same time. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Savera84 thumbnail

Originally posted by: vijay

I also hope the same dear. We are anxious and excited at the same time. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Congratulation for trying your best to make IF one of the best platforms to read FanFictions and discuss about Indian TV shows.

I found loads of FFs on IF and enjoyed/enjoying reading them. 

All the best to you and your team.

Cheers......

Arziya thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Jimmy Jab Games Season 4 0 Thumbnail + 8

This is great ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป looks so good, canโ€™t wait!!