JW, Interview.

Viswasruti thumbnail
Posted: 4 years ago

Jennifer Winget: I don’t consciously choose roles that revolve around complex relationships--18th Dec. The Times Of India. 

Jennifer Winget is back as the sensuous antagonist in 'Beyhadh 2'. She says she doesn’t like to repeat roles but then, there is something about Maya (her character in 'Beyhadh') that she clearly could not resist. In a chat with BT, the actress talks about being a part of shows that focus on complex relationships and rumours of link-ups with her co-actors. Excerpts:

One hasn’t seen you in a typical show that revolves around kitchen politics or has a supernatural touch to it. Is it intentional?

I think I have been lucky to have landed roles which are meaningful. Also, it is important that when you are doing a TV show, there is clarity and a defined start and end to it. It is not that I have kept away from the usual TV shows but when the entire team is in sync with a particular concept, there is a certain satisfaction in working. Also, I am very lazy, so I take up something only when I really like the concept.

You seem quite comfortable doing roles that revolve around complex relationships... As actors, our job is to sell emotions…whether it is a film, a TV show or a play. I don’t consciously choose roles that revolve around complex relationships. I would love to play a housewife, a psychopath, do comedy, action or take up any other kind of role. After I played an obsessive lover in 'Beyhadh', I did 'Bepannah' where the woman is cheated on by her husband. So, they are two different characters. Now in the second season of 'Beyhadh', I am playing a woman who takes revenge when she is betrayed in love. Normally, women tend to keep quiet in such situations, but my character Maya doesn’t. She takes revenge.

That’s an interesting point you’ve made. Do you feel women are often forced to keep quiet rather then voice their opinion on any situation?

In India, not just women, even men are raised in such a way that if there is a bad situation, they are shushed about it. Often, parents or even a friend will advise you saying, ‘We will figure it out but don’t create a scene right now’. We are told to not make a situation ugly because it is not right. I started working at a very young age and my mother used to accompany me to the sets. And many times I felt I should voice my opinion about certain things. I am not a confrontational person by nature, but when something goes wrong, I will definitely like to tell the person, ‘See, I don’t like this situation and if there is a solution, fair enough; but if you can’t find a solution then I will walk out’.

Were you disappointed when 'Bepannah' ended last year due to low ratings?

I wasn’t disappointed, I was unhappy with the way it ended abruptly. They could have ended it a little differently. I guess the makers did not want to drag the story and then I made peace with it.

You did a Bollywood film with Kunal Kohli last year. Are you considering more film offers?

There is no lack of film offers, but nothing exciting has come up. Also, I am doing back-to-back TV shows, so where is the time to do anything else?

You were linked with Gautam Rode when you did Saraswatichandra, and later, you were linked with Sehban Azim during 'Bepannah'.

How do you react to these rumours?

It just means that I am doing a good job on screen and our chemistry is good. There is nothing more to it.

What are your future plans?

I haven’t planned anything in life. If you are good at your job, you get the opportunities you deserve. I love my job and there is nothing else I would want to do. I feel blessed that I have grown as an actor.--

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

mehbeer1 thumbnail

Jennifer you are my all time fav actress, you go girl and you are doing an amazing job as maya , keep shining

oh_nakhrewaali thumbnail

She surely has way with words👏

Viswasruti thumbnail

Originally posted by: _._shibani_._

She surely has way with words👏

I am so impressed by reading her interview.😊First time I am watching her serial. Have seen 2/3 episodes of Beypanah earlier but in those scenes, she wasn't visible much.  

Armu4eva thumbnail

Queen! Absolute Queen 👑💍👸💅✊

Sandhi7 thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
loved it.She is so clear with her thoughts 😍