Other Avatars of Laxmi-Narayan

milindt thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 4 years ago

I know that CVs may be reading this forum (hoping that's why they abandoned the silly mitrata tracks)

So I'm hoping they read my suggestion.

We all know of 10 avatars of Vishnu, which show will be portraying.

But I also want to see the "regional avatars of Laxmi-narayan. There are so many stories that have never been shown on TV:

- Badri-vishal

- Venkateshwar-Padmavati

- Vithoba

Sri Ranganathan.

This show has show much potential. I pray they include regional avatars as well. I mean just picture how romantic this track would be (taken from Wiki...)

According to Hindu legend, god Vishnu sat in meditation at this place. During his meditation, Vishnu was unaware of cold weather. Lakshmi, his consort, protected him in the form of the Badri tree or Indian date). Pleased by the devotion of Lakshmi, Vishnu named the place Badrika Ashram. According to Atkinson (1979), the place used to be a jujube forest, which is not found there today. Vishnu in the form of Badrinath is depicted in the temple sitting in the padmasana posture.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

crystalmoon thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: milindt

I know that CVs may be reading this forum (hoping that's why they abandoned the silly mitrata tracks)

But I also want to see the "regional avatars of Laxmi-narayan. There are so many stories that have never been shown on TV:

- Badri-vishal

- Venkateshwar-Padmavati

- Vithoba

Sri Ranganathan.

This show has show much potential. I pray they include regional avatars as well. I mean just picture how romantic this track would be (taken from Wiki...)

According to Hindu legend, god Vishnu sat in meditation at this place. During his meditation, Vishnu was unaware of cold weather. Lakshmi, his consort, protected him in the form of the Badri tree or Indian date). Pleased by the devotion of Lakshmi, Vishnu named the place Badrika Ashram. According to Atkinson (1979), the place used to be a jujube forest, which is not found there today. Vishnu in the form of Badrinath is depicted in the temple sitting in the padmasana posture.

This is very much true, 

Apart from these, there are two regional tribes in south India who consider Vishnu as there son in law as Lakshmi was born in those households and later married an Avatar or form of Vishnu. 

First is Chenchita Lakshmi of chenchu tribe. When Hirayankashapus blood touched Narshimah's roop he was filled with rage, nothing could stop the havoc the ugra roop was causing even Shiva who took a form called ‘Sharabha’ where he is a one-third lion, one-third eagle, and one-third human. But was unable to stop Narshimaha then Narshima wandered into a forest squelching His anger,  There he would meet the maiden belonging to the Chenchu tribes, who was known to be the incarnation of Mahalakshmi. He would marry her in a tribal wedding and remain to protect the forest as LakshmiNrsimha. 

On account of this, the Lord is said to have refused to go back to Vaikuntam. The lovemaking of Lord Narasimha with Chenchita, a tribal woman is famous in many folk songs of the place. The sculptures of Narasimha and Chenchita on the pillars of the temple of upper and Lower Ahobilam and Vasantika Parinayam, a Sanskrit drama, written by Jiyar, the seventh pontiff of Ahobila math, describing the marriage of Lord Narasimha with Chenchita, lend support to the popular legend. There are several folk songs on the lips of many people of this region. These folk songs are more imaginative than historical and add various episodes to the story of Chenchita. They depict the love episode between Lord Narasimha and Chenchita.

There is a Telugu movie on this, B/W and off 1958:  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYSbMXM8fqk 

Edited by crystalmoon - 4 years ago
crystalmoon thumbnail

Another story is of Anagha Lakshmi consort of Lord Dattatreya. Duttatreya is considered to be an avatar of the three Hindu gods BrahmaVishnu and Shiva, collectively known as Trimurti.

According to Dattatreya Purana , When Lord Dattatreya, the combined incarnation of the Trinity, was a child of five years, many old sages spotted His greatness and started insisting Him to show them the path of Yoga. The child Datta wanted to test them. He disappeared into a pond and remained there for one hundred years. Some of the sages waited for Him on the banks of the pond while the infant Datta was in a state of complete Samadhi for hundred years. Even after coming out of the pond he continued to test the sages.

Dattatreya, who was 105 years old then, brought out His Yogic energy through His Brahma Randhra (an astral orifice found in the center of the skull, through which Yogis can leave the body), and gave it the form of a woman. Because the energy came out from Him, He was its natural owner. He declared her to be His consort. In order to test the sages, she drank wine and started dancing.

She was born as a youthful woman. Seeing her drink wine, some of the sages called her Madhumati. Others called her 'Nadee' becuase looking at her dance which resembled the dancing movements of a flooded river. Still others realized that she was none other than the Yogic Energy of Lord and prayed to Him. Some others went away.

Then Lord Dattatreya came out of Samadhi. She now appeared as an ascetic. Lord Dattatreya named her as Anagha. Those who called her as Madhumati and Nadee had identified her as one who possessed sin. But in reality she was sinless. Therefore Dattatreya had named her as Anagha (Sinless, Pure). Those who had recognized her to be the energy of Dattatreya, obtained the true vision of the Lord and could transcend all sorrows. In other words, because of her their sorrows (Agha or sin and sorrow) disappeared. This was another reason why Dattatreya named her as Anagha (one who removes sorrows).

This is a scene from the movie Shree Datta Darshanam (1988) where Anagha Lakshmi kills the demon Jambasura. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL5p0YZm588 

crystalmoon thumbnail

sorry double post.

milindt thumbnail

Thank you for these interesting stories... I knew of Anagha Devi but Chenchu Lakshmi is new to me.

Now I'n even more eager to see these beautiful portrayals... I'm sure every region has their own L-N story... just remembered even from  Orissa they can show Jagannath and Lakshmi. 

It would be a treat to see Savi and Yukti donning these different Avatars with locality influences

melodysong thumbnail

- Badri-vishal

- Venkateshwar-Padmavati

- Vithoba

Sri Ranganathan.

We will definitely get Venkateshwar and Padmavati as it is the prime priligimage spot in Hinduism and also a famous story repeated on several accounts, but that the thing you know these are all well known stories we should be looking iinto the stories that have not been presented on tv shows before as they will create an interest in audience. 

like Ramayan and Mahabharat are done over and over again so we know characters of Ram-Sita and Radha-krishna 

As u said about Vithoba it might work cause Vitthal and Rukmini's story is interesting and apart from the serial Dwarkasdish not many shows have been created about them also Vitthal is a Marathi god primaly and his nature is quite different from the Krishna we know as he lives in Kaliyug fighting the evil Kali. 

Badrinath story would be amazing. 

But despite it all my mind comes back to Bhargavi, she is the first avtar of Lakshmi and we dont get to see her story. Bhrigu plays an important role in Ranghanath-Padmavati story line too so shouldnt they introduce that character atleast. And the worst part is they acknowledge that part of lakshmi as bhargavi coz shukracharya refered to lakshmi as sister but are not showing it. 

melodysong thumbnail

Thank you for these interesting stories... I knew of Anagha Devi but Chenchu Lakshmi is new to me.

Now I'n even more eager to see these beautiful portrayals... I'm sure every region has their own L-N story... just remembered even from  Orissa they can show Jagannath and Lakshmi. 

It would be a treat to see Savi and Yukti donning these different Avatars with locality influences

And also Kohlapur Mahalakshmi too

As the Ranghanath-Padmavati and Kholapur Mahalakshmi tracks are interconnected to each other. 

MyDriYa thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Easter Egg Contest Winner (2023) 0 Thumbnail + 7

Omg! I am dreaming now about Padmavati & Venkateshwara's divine marriage with Savi & Yukti's acting .. 😳

It will be excited to watch their marriage...

History of Tirupati 😎 along Padmavati-Venkateswara's divine marriage 🥳

I think if CV's managed to do it then I think both Savi & Yukti are Blessed to play this things after Sourabh Raj Jain as he only did the Role of Perumal in Om Namma Venkateshaya in Telugu movie 😳

Edited by MyDriYa - 4 years ago
MyDriYa thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Easter Egg Contest Winner (2023) 0 Thumbnail + 7

Also Rangathar story of SriRangam..

How Vibhishnan tried to locate the Vishnu idol in the earth(in Srilanka) but it got eventually placed on TN 😳 also Andal's marriage with Vishnu 🥳

crystalmoon thumbnail

Originally posted by: MyDriYa

Also Rangathar story of SriRangam..

How Vibhishnan tried to locate the Vishnu idol in the earth(in Srilanka) but it got eventually placed on TN 😳 also Andal's marriage with Vishnu 🥳

Yes, the story of Ranghanatham and Ranghanayaki would be interesting to see as the temple itself is such a beautiful magnanimous complex. 

It is a temple custom that the goddess of the temple takes her place beside the god of the temple during processions. In Srirangam, however, Ranghanayaki never leaves her shrine. All others, including Ranganatha himself, come to see her. I just love this concept.