mintyblue thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 4 years ago

Kareena Kapoor on Shahid Kapoor's Kabir Singh: I don’t personally believe in a character like that

Kareena Kapoor Khan discussed about Shahid Kapoor's last film Kabir Singh. The film also starred Kiara Advani in lead role.

ADVERTISEMENT

India Today Web DeskNew DelhiOctober 11, 2019UPDATED: October 11, 2019 15:50 IST

Shahid Kapoor and Kiara Advani in Kabir Singh (left) and Kareena Kapoor Khan.

Shahid Kapoor and Kiara Advani in Kabir Singh (left) and Kareena Kapoor Khan.

Shahid Kapoor's last film Kabir Singh had fans divided. While many appreciated Kabir Singh, some called out Shahid Kapoor and director Sandeep Reddy Vanga for glorifying toxic masculinity in the film.

Though Kabir Singh minted over Rs 300 crore at the box office, many critics and fans said that the film set a bad example. Shahid's character in the film is violent and has a bad temper, despite which Kiara Advani's character falls in love with him.

Bollywood celebs too were divided when it came to Kabir Singh. Recently, in a conversation with a website, when Kareena Kapoor Khan was asked about her opinion on Kabir Singh, the actress said that she doesn't believe in such a character.

She said, "I haven’t seen the film. But clearly it hasn’t affected anything because the movie has made over Rs 300 crores. So, it’s a double edged sword. Because there are people who are actually going to watch it and have found something that they love. Otherwise, it is not possible for it to have done so well. But I’m happy that people are talking about it and if you ask me, I don’t personally believe in a character like that because that’s not me as a person."

She added, "But, at the end of the day, it’s a film and it has worked. But I’m happy that people are talking about things and they want their voice to be heard. But they clearly are outnumbered by the people who have loved the film. That’s the reality which is sad."

ADVERTISEMENT

Shahid, however, has often explained his stance on his character Kabir. At India Today Conclave Mumbai 2019, the actor talked about the same. He said, "It's in one of the top 10 grossers. We felt that the product was edgy, we knew that it was not something that it could be what everyone else was comfortable with. We're so worried and scared that we created notions in our heads and limits."

Watch the trailer of Kabir Singh here:

Kareena and Shahid dated for almost five years before parting ways. After their break up, while Kareena went on to marry Saif Ali Khan, Shahid tied the knot with Mira Rajput.

At the India Today Conclave, Shahid also revealed his wife Mira's reaction on Kabir Singh. He said, "Before anyone else, Mira told me to do this film. She loved it, she loved the fact that the character was so flawed and could love so passionately."

Kabir Singh turned out to be the highest grossing film of Shahid's career but many didn't agree with his character in the film and Kareena's comment is the proof of the same.