Amitji says 75% of my liver is gone still surviving on 25%.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

S_H_Y thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 4 years ago

Amitabh Bachchan, who was detected with tuberculosis in 2000, had no idea that he was suffering from it for eight years. At an event in Mumbai, the "tuberculosis survivor" urged people to get regular check-ups so that they could be diagnosed on time.

"I keep quoting my personal example all the time and try and propagate the idea of getting yourself detected. I don't mind saying this publicly. I am a tuberculosis survivor, Hepatitis B survivor... Bad blood infusion went in and 75 per cent of my liver is gone but because I was able to detect it, even after a period of 20 years when 75 per cent of my liver is gone, I am still surviving on 25 per cent," the actor was quoted by IANS as saying.

Bachchan said that only with diagnosis was it possible to find a cure. "There is a cure. Even with tuberculosis. I did not know for almost 8 years I was suffering from tuberculosis. I keep saying with immodesty that if it can happen to me, (it can happen) to anyone. Therefore, if you are not willing to get yourself tested, then you would never find out and there's never going to be a cure for it," he said.

Earlier, in 2015, Bachchan revealed in an awareness video by UNICEF that his liver was damaged because he received blood from a Hepatitis B-infected person. After the actor suffered a serious accident on the sets of Coolie, he required 60 units of blood. One of the units was infected, and his liver was affected.

Bachchan found out about the same only years later, during a routine check-up. By then, three-fourths of his liver was already damaged.

In 2016, Bachchan revealed that he was diagnosed with tuberculosis of the spine in 2000, when he was hosting Kaun Banega Crorepati. "It's very uncomfortable. You cannot sit or lie down. Most of the time, I was on 8-10 pain killers a day just to survive the period when I was anchoring the game show," he was quoted by PTI as saying.

The actor added that after a long treatment, he became free of tuberculosis. "The reason I disclosed is that I felt that the word 'survivor' is somehow is a very powerful word. When I say I am TB survivor, it seems like I survived a plane crash or boat sinking. If you survive that, it lends a lot of power and strength to what you are saying. It's like saying that I have survived it because I went through a process," he said.

AllThatCritique thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Probably will need a transplant in a few years. 

TotalBetty thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

How come he has been able to work so hard all these yrs with all these health problems?

He hasn’t slowed down even now at 76

Edited by BettyA1 - 4 years ago
IAmLuvBolly thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 7

Originally posted by: BettyA1

How come he has been able to work so hard all these yrs with all these health problems?

He hasn’t slowed down even now at 76

Working hard and staying active is probably helping him stay alive and healthy, relatively speaking.  Here in the U.S. it’s very common for elderly’s physical and mental health to just nosedive a few years after retirement because they just stay at home and watch TV and don’t do anything productive.  Mind and body was never meant to remain idle all day.  

Mistyy thumbnail

Liver can regenerate itself to original size as long as there is 25% there, probably happened in his case. But good for him for speaking out, doesn’t blood get checked before transfusion in India? He is lucky he only got hep c and not HIV.

TotalBetty thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: Mistyy

Liver can regenerate itself to original size as long as there is 25% there, probably happened in his case. But good for him for speaking out, doesn’t blood get checked before transfusion in India? He is lucky he only got hep c and not HIV.

Bold - Did not know that... That explains it 

Maybe in the early 80s they didn’t check for Hepatitis-B 

I was thinking the same I think AIDS scare started in the 80s

We’ve heard about some cases including celebrities getting it thru blood transfusion... So he’s lucky in that way

Manavi_kesari thumbnail
IPL 2023 Participants 3 Thumbnail Anniversary 12 Thumbnail + 4
Kbc promotions lol , take rest ab ji lol
Hippopotamus160 thumbnail

wish him a very very long life and health. 

RheaSingh thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Its good to see him working but he rather not stain himself too much...75% liver gone is not a small deal