Hamlet53 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail
Posted: 4 years ago

Sufiyana Pyaar Mera ~ My musings 29.4.19   The Deciding factors  

In life one comes across moments when one has to make choices. Be they be, well thought out ones, which prove to have beneficial resolutions. Or snap hasty decisions, which one may regret in the long run. One’s family usually aids one in taking difficultdecisions. To me the episode, begins with both mothers, Rubina and Zainab ,behind closed doors busily influencing their daughters Kainat and Sultanat ,respectively.

Where as ,Zainab touches upon the fact that one cannot be transparent all the time. Appearances , are kept to serve  various sincere purposes. Sometimes its best to cover up  behind a façade. Zainab  continues nurturing her daughter Kainat in the manner she deems fit as a good mother. To keep a lid on one’s  real emotions, for it shows quiet restrain and discipline. To guard  one’s family name is certainly seen as a duty, and  Zainab trains her daughter to remember that.Fulfilling familial loyalty, maintaining the respected image and good name of the Shah family at all times, regardless of how happy or sorrowful one feels, is a prime purpose engrained by Zainab, in Kainat.Zainab, believes in the tradition, which many families up hold, that family privacy is crucial and what goes on inside the family,must be closed to the outside world. So Kainat's happy disposition  should show the world at large, that all is well in the mighty Shah family. Zainab, in a way, also allows to be courteously, familiar with the much sought after visitor Zaroon

Rubina on the other hand influences and uses the powerful hand of faith to manipulate her daughter Sultanat into accepting Zaroon as her husband. Rubina here stands for those believers who use their faith to suit their own selfish worldly gains.

Both mothers, Zainab and Rubina , are also seen to grant some powers  and liberties to their daughters, Zainab allows Kainat to wear lipstick so she can realize her femininity, just this once. But the rouge of the lips is predominantly to show the man who rejected her daughter’s,pure, sincere plainness, that Kainat  survives,despite the sense of rejection Zaroon gave her.Show the man, her daughter smiles through, whatever life dishes out to her. The brief for Kainat from her mother, is that, keep real sorrow under cover, so that Zaroon realizes that he made a hasty decision, in rejecting her outright. Which seems true, for Zaroon, appears to have refused Kainat ,purely on the basis of face value. Zainab , alongside has a hard donemanner, and what’s more a compliant attitude too. Seems , Zainab accepts, that  decision making  largely lies in the hands of  men. Women, only remain silent and appear unmoved,but  still they hope for men to realizethat women too have the right to accept or reject issues in life. Kainat though falls back more on god’ssense of justice, than her mother’s teachings.

On the other hand Rubina recognizes that Sultanat is capable of taking  her own decisions. Only those decisions can go against what Rubina aspires for, the legacy of the Shah Sufi legacy. So thismother, puts the weight of a Quranic oath, upon her daughter.

What lengths, elders can go through to manipulate their children into doing what they have decided.  Take Mamoon , he too, although  disapproves  his son Zaroon’s  adapted and revised, decision to marry Sultanat, he sees the idea as a worthy proposition  thus giving his stamp of approval to Zaroon. 

Likewise his son, Manoon too fails to see the complexities created in the fragilethreads of family ties. The true nature of individuals desires, their purposesof life, surface up, eventually, disregarding who they hurt to achieve theirpurpose. Is Zaroon the chip of the old block?

Zaroon’s Sufiyana love makes him defiant in looking upon Sultanat as the girl who he aims to getone way or another.  Mind you its hislove that makes him imagine  at themarriage party.. soon they both will be going through the Nikah ceremony too. Thebeggars blessings for him and Sultanat , only confirms for the smitten, besotted by Sultanat, Zaroon ,that even the world at large sees them as made for each other. In contrast one sees the staid, silent  Kainat  and  Humza  being blessed as a married couple  by the beggars. The  blessings , are a figureof speech  in keeping with the trade,quite without sincerity. Used  bybeggars, to coax generosity out of the rich. Mind you, the beggars call, echoes, here too what  the men, namely Zaroon ,and Humza   aspire for. What the women, Kainat and Sultanat want is kept secondary.

The episode shows, that not all couples are in agreement with each others decisions. Nadeem, clearly  disagrees with his wife Rubina‘s motives. The tug of war between his wife and Zainab , over Zaroon seen as asuitable husband for their daughter Sultanat. In fact Nadeem notices Zaroon’s furtive eyeing of his daughter.Nadeem recognisesthe  ripples this alliance will cause. That’swhy Nadeem was bold enough to raise Zaroon’s awareness  to existing Shah family values and traditions,where relatives show care in treading upon each others toes. Nadeem clearly wishes, rather not go against the alliance Mainjaan has decided upon. Sultanat ,I feel inherits her father’s sensitivity, and thoughtfulness, towards feelings.

I did feel initially by Zainab‘s words in the beginning that in the episode men are seen to make keydecisions and women, only conform and comply. But after, Zaroon narrates his,as Mainjaan puts it ,“middle path decision”. I see Mainjaan as not just the patriarchal head of the Shah family , but also as the revered Islamic  scholar , who practices what the holy scriptures teach him. 

The one to put the stamp of approval on the Zaroon sought outalliance between Sultanat and himself will not be the two persons involved inthis alliance, but Kainat as the aggrieved party. Mainjaan sees this as a fair requirement. As the alliance, was arranged between him and Mamoon  was initially  between Kainat and Zaroon and not Sultanat and Zaroon. Well ,in all fairness Kainat too like Zaroon is granted twenty four hours to reach her decision of saying  yes or no to her cousin and Zaroon’s marriage. This right to give approval or rejection to Kainat is , in keeping with the equality,and participation  of both women and men in  key decision making.  

What is Kainat going to decide? By far this is a hard one for her to make. Choose between her Sufiyana love,or give it up for the sake of family values? Is she likely to be influenced by her mother? or even her beloved Mainjaan ,in her ultimate decision? Or even Sultanat ? Zaroon’s stance ,Kainat is well aware off, not her! but her cousin;he seeks. Will Kainat be spiteful and say NO.. as what she cannot have, she will not allow Sultanat to have either?? Is Kainat going to listen to her heart?  too much is at stake. All said and done, will she leave the matter in god’s hands?.. 30.4.19..Hamlet53.             

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Madhura.. thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

Hi Hamlet.

Brilliant Review and way you underlined every character with their actions was amazing.

Yesterday's episode was fantastic, cos all shades of characters came in picture.

Zainab symbolised the bitter but real picture, and Rubina as you rightly said, used Quran for her selfish needs 

A point to be noted here, though Kainaat has left everything to God, she does follow her mother, she did put lipstick and even boldly asked Zaroon that she will show him Indian wedding where she wanted to taunt him for rejection, and she's fine. Even Saltanat clearly found this shocking. Zaroon is so much smitten by Saltanat that he isn't seeing what the world around him wants or their indications, be it Kainaat, Saltanat, her dad where he gave a wise advice or even Miyajaan.

It's like he is in his bubble, which burst when Miyajaan brought Kainaat in picture cos that was an unexpected turn. Indeed such a wise choice by Miyajaan of giving justice...cos in alliance where he rejected, Kainaat was involved and she has suffered.

Ofc am assuming even Saltanat will get a say once Kainaat gives her decision..

Hamlet53 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Madhura..

Hi Hamlet.

Brilliant Review and way you underlined every character with their actions was amazing.

Yesterday's episode was fantastic, cos all shades of characters came in picture.

Zainab symbolised the bitter but real picture, and Rubina as you rightly said, used Quran for her selfish needs 

A point to be noted here, though Kainaat has left everything to God, she does follow her mother, she did put lipstick and even boldly asked Zaroon that she will show him Indian wedding where she wanted to taunt him for rejection, and she's fine. Even Saltanat clearly found this shocking. Zaroon is so much smitten by Saltanat that he isn't seeing what the world around him wants or their indications, be it Kainaat, Saltanat, her dad where he gave a wise advice or even Miyajaan.

It's like he is in his bubble, which burst when Miyajaan brought Kainaat in picture cos that was an unexpected turn. Indeed such a wise choice by Miyajaan of giving justice...cos in alliance where he rejected, Kainaat was involved and she has suffered.

Ofc am assuming even Saltanat will get a say once Kainaat gives her decision..

helloooo Madhura, brilliant to hear from you. Loved your interesting views.. like I said before the characters,  are not out and out  perfect or imperfect. Shall we say, they are realistic and relatable human. Within the  joint, extended families, humans, react according to circumstances.  People like Kainat and her mother Zainab, draw viewers more, to themselves. I feel they draw upon our pathos,  due to their vulnerability. Kainat 's faith  supplies her much comfort and consolation along with the strong backing of Mainjaan.. Madhura, you so rightly point out that the spurned aside Kainat   is brought in  a pivotal  position, that will determine the alliance between Sultanat and Zaroon.  well, we shall find out how  Kainat  decides.

thanks for sharing your thoughts,  love hammie

BIaddict thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

I liked zainab’s advice to kayanat, don’t show the guy you rejected that it affected you. And I liked kayanat doing just that. My favorite scene  has got to be the miajan-kayanat scene at the end. I think my most favorite interaction between any 2 characters in this show is MJ and Kainat, I just love the bond shown between the 2.

One thing I would like to see here is Zaroon getting rejected. By Saltanat we know it will happen  but I hope there is a sequence where kayanat rejects him too. Zaroons insensitivity towards kayanat and her feelings irks me a lot. 

I am still not sure I understand what is the  story about. Is it a love story which is going to show saroon journey from saltanat’s no to yes. Or is there more? I am hoping there is whole lot more than just a love story.  

Hamlet53 thumbnail

Originally posted by: BIaddict

I liked zainab’s advice to kayanat, don’t show the guy you rejected that it affected you. And I liked kayanat doing just that. My favorite scene  has got to be the miajan-kayanat scene at the end. I think my most favorite interaction between any 2 characters in this show is MJ and Kainat, I just love the bond shown between the 2.

One thing I would like to see here is Zaroon getting rejected. By Saltanat we know it will happen  but I hope there is a sequence where kayanat rejects him too. Zaroons insensitivity towards kayanat and her feelings irks me a lot. 

I am still not sure I understand what is the  story about. Is it a love story which is going to show saroon journey from saltanat’s no to yes. Or is there more? I am hoping there is whole lot more than just a love story.  

hiya Bladdict.. was arching my neck out for your comment.. was going to crash.. then saw your comment.. yes the bond between the mother and daughter, is always quality time.. Kainat, sure is Mainjaan favourite.. she goes looking for his blessings and wise words.. I would say they have formed her personality ..

As for Zaroon, as much as I find the bloke attractive, I find him too pushy also.. the cv's perhaps want us to believe that Toronto jets  behave like he does.. Yes Kainat , does not exist for him. It was brilliant when Mainjaan threw the spanner in the  works!

yes.. me too hoping its not romance. only.. I would like more complexities of the heart mind and yes.. the soul too..

lets see what verdict Kainat gives  towards, the middle ground  Zaroon  has blatantly chosen.. have yet to see the episode. was snowed under by work. Lovely, to hear from you mate,, much love hammie..